Just read books 1-4 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the first time ever...

Just read books 1-4 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the first time ever. This is unequivocally the best book series I have ever read and I don't know what to do with my life now :(
This is one of those series that I'd always heard about but somehow never got around to reading. Now that I have I'm wondering where it's been all my life, but also realizing that there's a lot of concepts and intelligent existential wit in it that I might not have caught onto if I had read it when I was younger. I haven't ever read anything that was simultaneously this witty, hilarious, intelligent, and original. In fact I haven't been able to put it down since I started the first book a week or two ago. It's honestly a bit difficult to put into words how brilliant this series is, in so many different ways - suffice it to say that if there was any piece of literature that captured my perspective and spirit, this is it.
I just finished the fourth book, which took all of Adam's charm and applied it to one of the most poignantly touching love stories I've ever read, and now I don't know what to do with my life. I feel like I've experienced everything I wanted life to offer me through the eyes of Arthur Dent, and now that I'm back in my own skin in my own vastly different and significantly more boring life I'm feeling a sense of loss. This is coming as a bit of a surprise since I wasn't expecting to find this kind of substance from these books. I had always imagined that they were just some silly, slap-stick humor type sci-fi books.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/books/comments/4mqard/just_read_books_14_of_the_hitchhikers_guide_to/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>This is unequivocally the best book series I have ever read
stop reading shit.

>I don't know what to do with my life now

go to reddit

Mind if I right click and copy this fine piece of bait to disperse unto the denizens of lit? I shal find great solace in their bemused aggravation

Are there any other books out there that come anywhere close to the psychedelic wit, hilarity, and spirit that this series has? I've heard dirk gently recommended more than a few times, and I'm about 1 or 2 chapters into it right now but it hasn't captivated me in the same way that HHGttG did. I'm going to continue on with it anyway though since Adams was behind it.

read some terry pratchett.

This. Very similar styles.

Some people think it's actually the same author. There's quite a large theory.

I only read the first book so far. I also liked the humor. It's a fun book. I'm going to get the others in the future.

This is from /r/books.

Wonder what this person will do after reading Mostly Harmless

Why would you end a humorous series in such a low note jesus fuck

reddit.com/r/books/comments/4mqard/just_read_books_14_of_the_hitchhikers_guide_to/

This is straight from plebbit. SAGE!

I know it's from lennit but this really made me want to read this book desu

jokes on you cunt I live in australia your image is upside down

It's enjoyable and fun. Maybe not grand literature but I recommend it

I thought Mostly Harmless was the 3rd best of the series after the first one and Restaurant. the 3rd and 4th volumes didn't do a whole bunch for me.

The first 2 books are quite fun, after that it's downhill

the movie was even better w0w hilarious dry banter!

How come Reddit didn't inform me about this before?

Because the Author died before finishing the series