/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Magazine Edition

Anyone here still read the magazines? Is it a good way of finding writers? What are some especially good or bad ones?

Recommendation
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
youtube.com/watch?v=LEpfwuVIm7E
youtu.be/ek2O6bVAIQQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jesus fuck.

The Dinosaur Squad infested the last post of that other thread.

When are your asses going to fossilize so I can get some Grade A distilled crude?

You realize that, statistically speaking, the best books are over 20 years old, merely by virtue of more having been written?

I will buy one if I happen to go into a bookstore that carries them. You can also find old stacks of them at used stores sometimes.

I've thought about subscriptions before, but there's no way I have enough time to actually read one each month so they'd just be sitting around. It might make more sense on kindle or something, but I don't use e-readers much.

I like Interzone and Asimov's I guess, but probably haven't read enough for that to mean much.

Clarkesworld is also really good, at least judging from their year-end collections. Podcast is decent too.

I read Aurealis when they do their free issue thing at the end of every year. Sadly there's only one, aged, torrent that I can find.

Been reading a lot of westerns lately and I like them. Are there any good novels that combine Sci-Fi and the western genre? Maybe even fantasy and western?

dayum

Brandon Sanderson - The Alloy of Law

Seconding Era 2 Mistborn is right up your alley.

Read that a while ago already.

Might be obvious, but The Gunslinger.

Read that too. Not sure if I'd even consider that fantasy. Stephen King is a weirdo.

30 days until The Great Ordeal

Get hyped

>Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
Wait, there are people out there who actually recommend Robin Hobb's books?

Can anyone recommend more books like Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance? I've fallen in love with future scifantasy.

Roger Zelazny

This is why we can't have nice things:

youtube.com/watch?v=LEpfwuVIm7E

>Robin Hobb is bad
Are we witnessing the creation of a great new meme?

No? I'm not going to argue on her writing, just that every single one of her books makes me feel real bad and I would not recommend that to anyone.

Have you only read Royal Assassin? Most of her books, and all of her series, have a mostly happy ending.

Years ago, I cant say I remember it having a happy ending as much as it was a wash, but I have been trying to repress those memories. I might be being a bit unfair to the older book after what a shit show me trying and failing to read through the soldier sun series.

I've just started Soldier Son and have heard bad things, but I want to finish her books to satisfy my autism. I personally thought that the Tawny Man trilogy was fairly peaceable, though certainly the Farseer trilogy had an emo as fuck protagonist.

Well good luck with that then, I might have gotten halfway through the second book. For me it was "only bad things happen, and then they get worse" the book.

Thanks. I've read almost all of her stories and short stories so I'll probably finish it anyway. It'd have to get super bad for me to give up on it halfway. I finished the Rain Wild Chronicles after all, how much worse could it be?

So, uh, what is it that you like about her books that make you want to read them all?

There's not so many that I can't read them all, and I've already read so many that I'm very close. A bit like finishing a TV show even though you've heard the last season isn't as good.

As for your actual question, there's a lot of pulpy fantasy out there just about battles and gary stu protagonists. Many people here seem to only have read the Farseer trilogy, but what sold me on her was the Liveship Trader trilogy, which has many varied and differently-motivated characters in a mysterious environment which is slowly revealed.

If I had to pick two things, it'd be her characters, who don't always do the obvious thing and have different personalities which makes the story interesting, and the mystery which gives the story structure and direction.

Green tick - would recommend
Red cross - lost interest/didn't finish
Red tick - fun but not GOAT or too overrated to recommend
dl - has been torrented/deDRMed
If it was me I'd add Fforde's Shades of Grey, City of the Saved and Watts' Firefall
I dropped GOT because it was a fucking chore with the POV switching. Prince of Nothing had great prose but it seemed to go nowhere and every time it suckered me in the scene changed again. Blood Song was basically assassin school tier boring. The Blade Itself probably better for people who like grimdark (Glokta, Bayaz, the other side and the ending is GOAT though.) City of the Stairs looks like it was supposed to be fun but honestly I can't remember a single memorable instant that happened in it. I think I finished the whole thing but it made absolutely no impact on me.

Recently I really enjoyed Zelazany's Chronicles of Amber. It started off good, got shit somewhere in the middle of the first book and then it got fucking GOAT. He did a great job with the politicking and that was immensely fun. I was expecting Corwin to stabl everyone in the back in the first and second book but it didn't really happen.

I just finished Way of Kings and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Is the sequel any good? I heard the focus was on Shallan and honestly I just want more Kaladin and Bridge Four.

>tfw I will never sit in a circle around a fire eating stew with people I've formed an unbreakable bond with

I just want to hang out with them

Sanderson's sequels are exactly the same quality as the books preceding them.

>tfw I've been chipping away at this short story about a were-lioness for over a month now and I'm only half way through

fuck me

What are some comfy adventure books with cute characters, preferably female?

Shallan isn't as much of a boring fuck in WoR but Dalinar and Kaladin continue to outshine her. The book also doesn't have the insane pacing issues that tWoK had.

That's why we were making the new list mate, without her.
List user hasn't been seen yet.
Fuck off already

>Fuck off already
This is my first time posting in /sffg/. Why are you so angry?

We see that post almost every thread, he's changing it up a bit.

>get to last few chapters of a book
>every single minor character who ever had more than three lines of dialogue all start reappearing and pairing off with each other

I fucking hate this genre sometimes

>The Stormlight Archive Pocket Companion
Fuckkkkk I just found out that this existed. Does anyone have any scans of this anywhere?

29 DAYS

GET
HYPED

Do any of the novels in the "selected fantasy fiction" jpeg in the OP have actually well-done sex?

Most fantasy sex is terrible wish fulfilment with cat-women or elves or whatever, but I want to read something where it's well done to prove that it can be done. Does such a thing exist?

What does well-done sex mean to you?

Just read fantasy by female authors if you can't handle wish fulfillment with cat-women

Sure it'll be homosexual cat men instead but that sounds like it'll be right up your alley

That's a good question. I'm not looking for erotica, it's not my goal to be turned on, though if that happens it probably means it's well-written, in the same way that if a death scene makes you sad it's probably well-written.

I just want to see a sex scene that's well-written, and not shoe-horned in, which probably means that it has to do with character development or something.

Homosexual cat men are the same problem as with cat-women. I don't even care if it's cat-women, I just want it to actually have an impact on the story or characters and be written well.

All sex is wish fulfillment to some degree. There's really only so much an author can do to distance themselves from it.

You could try Land Fit For Heroes,

>but his own family shuns him because he is gay
Are you rusing me?

How does he do it?

There's all kinds of sex in this series. Surely one of them will float your boat.

Plus do you really think fudge packing would be acceptable in medieval fantasylands?

Oh no, I'm happy that his family shuns him, it's just the fact that he's gay made me wary that you were rusing me by suggesting a series with homosex.

Is the story actually good? Seems interesting actually.

It's a pretty interesting series. I enjoyed his take on elves, and the world itself is pretty interesting. Not to say it's not flawed, it's certainly got problems.

But overall I'd say it's a pretty solid series.

Cool thanks I'll look into it.

>Most fantasy sex is terrible wish fulfilment with cat-women or elves or whatever, but I want to read something where it's well done to prove that it can be done.
It depends what you mean by well done. I would tentatively argue that GRRM writes good sex scenes, but only when the scene has a purpose or perspective rooted in character (e.g. Sam/Gilly, Cersei's scenes in AFFC).

I think that his sex scenes are generally rooted in character or story, but I'm not sure I agree that they're good. They're usually written in a way that makes it disgusting or strange rather than sexual.

Dark Tower series
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman
The Scar by China Mieville

>The Scar by China Mieville
Whoops. I meant Iron Council, not The Scar.

That's sort of what I mean though. The less sexual aspects are often what give the scenes themselves meaning. There's a great one where Cersei is thinking about her sex life with Robert Baratheon and she describes how she would eat his cum almost vindictively, basically consuming his potential heirs, which gives the reader insight into Cersei as a character (uses sexuality as a weapon, deeply disturbed) and her former marriage.

What's /sffg/'s opinion of Feist? Is he worth reading beyond Magician?

Magician is shit, don't even bother reading that

Really? I've finished Magician two days ago and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read.
Why do you think it's 'shit' besides it being popular?

It being one of the best books you've read is embarrassing.
On the other note most books liked on Veeky Forums in general are very popular.

The Daughter of the Empire series is much better

What's /sffg/'s opinion of Garth Nix? Is Sabriel and the Abhorsen series worth reading?

My sister loves him and wants me to read him but I wanna check that he's Veeky Forums approved first.

It's good YA.

I just finished I am Legend, goddamn that was FANTASTIC.

Give me good fantasy series with no sjw bullshit in them.

Hard Mode:Only white characters

King Arthur

Nah, it was just okay.

Malazan.
Although there are non whites in it.

Main characters are white?

lord of the rings. eowyn is shown her place

There are alot of "main" characters some of them are white and some of them are not even human.

One thing, as a memer, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of memetic manipulation in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards whether we would be born on the autisms spectrum or not and addiction. It's terrible psycholigcal horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like forever. Once a memer you can't stop shitposting. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, petty and irrelevant posts we have no choice but to repeatedly make is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of not being understood, that men's desires for quick humorous nips in the past, or just their mindless desire for instant gratification in the present, override our own creativity and emotions towards others, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you. but just as a "normie".

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish memers weren't constantly written as "Basement-dwellers! That seek to escape the crushing regret of their life in posting anthropomorphic frogs!", and not facing the pepe tfw-yfw disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable to diss someone for acting like a child without asking ourselves if that person has experienced that, for some people, and for many people, wouldn't wear off. This was less prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the lack of internet usage involved.

Dune is a must.
Lord of Light also a good pick.
The Songs of the Dying Earth homage anthology was very good.
John Carter of Mars for retro.
Shannara is science fantasy but it sucks.
Count to a Trillion if you want to watch a science fantasy constructed out of the near future, not for the faint of heart.

Write a TV show as a fantasy book and then get a show inspired by aforementioned novel produced.

Wat

Nah it was pretty well done

It was, but it was hardly great. It's short, cool, but nothing amazing.

Surely it's great? The thing defined zombie fiction without even stepping in the realm of it AND it still beats them all to this day

Defining zombie fiction is pretty worthless. It's like praising lovecraft because people rip him off because it's cool.
It's got often embarrassing prose, the characters are mediocre, the idea is nifty, but nothing to reminiscent about outside of saying "wew lad cool".

I guess it's back to the strict regimen of Wolfe, Chesterton and Borges then.........................................................................................................

?
Borges and Chesterton are rarely discussed here. There's like 3 of us who talk about them.

Anyone here reading the WN Mother of learning? What do you think about new development?

>6 months till Blood Mirror
Just fuck me up f@m

Torture ARC user until he/she gives it up ;_;

Fucking stupid Americans.

>Women buy books written by women

That's almost as stupid as saying "women watch women's sports".

Pro-tip: They don't.

>If it was me I'd add Fforde's Shades of Grey, City of the Saved and Watts' Firefall
My Private doesn't have Shades of Grey, it has his other books though. City of the saved... I've seen it shille- I mean recommended countless times, but a bottle universe where everyone ever goes (heaven?), didn't appeal much to me. I want to try Lord of light though.

Currently I'm reading Hull 3 Zero(so far it reads like a fucking game [dead space] in book form).
Next on my list: Iron Dragon's daughter, black sword, red knight, immortals of Meluha, roadside picnic, metro 2033, i have no mouth and I must scream, some more Richard k Morgan, stranger in a strange land, and a few other.

This doesn't take into effect the Age of Myth book being released at the end of the month, and other books I'm patiently waiting for.

When I'm done those the list will be updated.

Stop shitposting and get to work fagget.

I agree.

I liked the rape, gay and incest in WN Mother of learning series.

Issac Asimov, Foundation And Earth for a quick read, it's only around 356 pages and stand alone even though it's part of the Foundation series. Highly recommend.

>Malazan
Serious question, was this ever really intended to be published as a roleplaying campaign setting? because no way WotC wouldn't have sued 'em.

He explicitly said he ran the setting for his friends before he wrote the books.

Yes, and? lots of writers have claimed similar and later found out having totally lied.

Serpentwar Saga is okay. Less tame than Riftwar, if that matters to you.
user is right about Empire series being good.

I think you missed the point, the actual setting and half of the plot is quite literally ripping straight from Greyhawk with a sprinkling of Dragonlance.

youtu.be/ek2O6bVAIQQ

Thoughts?

>Anyone here still read the magazines?
Sometimes.
A better question would be finding someone that actually stocks them

>Is it a good way of finding writers?
Yes

>What are some especially good or bad ones?
Magazines or writers?
There are only 3 print magazines left. Analog, Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and Asimovs.

>e.g. Sam/Gilly
>just gave birth
>let bear of a man run rampant on my poor pussy
Not to mention he cucked Jon.

Too bad I can't have some friend who knows he is going to die and gives me his wife to look after.

I know for a fact GURM will never finish the books, because he has all these little details to tie up, and there is ONE time i know about readers... They are more obsessed about a work than the actual author is (at least the guys with autism is more obsessed than the author). They map the series out better than the authors ever could, and with a series as popular as GURMS of Thrones, there are a lot of pro autism readers mapping out all the plots so far. If Big G missteps, he will be lynched, maybe not literally but in relation with PR. He will probably get death threats like other authors (he probably gets them already for not finishing the series).

George will have to reread EVERY SINGLE BOOK, MULTIPLE TIMES, to remember what he did (he himself said he doesn't make notes), and that is going to take time away from playing in his backyard, talking about handegg, and traveling the world, where he will met young nubile women who want to "ride" the GoT mastermind.

Or he could do like an author did a few years ago, "hire" a devoted fan(autistic) make them sign a NDA, and have them retell all the little plots in detail, hell draw a map. Work with them to finish the books. Payment being among the first to receive an ARC.

Fuck George though.

>Are there any good novels that combine Sci-Fi and the western genre?
Track down some old Leigh Brackett and C.L. Moore

>(he himself said he doesn't make notes)
>manages to keep together his clusterfuck of a series

Respect instantly regained desu