So how is this not just a story about some r9k autist?

So how is this not just a story about some r9k autist?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/thelastpsychiatrist/comments/34wabm/since_its_been_a_year_i_guess_ill_share_this_a/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is r9k and what do they stand for. I know nothing of this site outside /lit and the Hacker that did the fappening.

Its a place where the miserable go to reaffirm their narrow self-depreciating worldviews. If you've never been there, don't bother. There's nothing of value there.

There is no equivalence between the Underground man and the anime-watching and 'vidya'-playing resentful frog-posting autists from /r9k/.

You didn't understand the book

Mostly this. The book is so much more than a jab at r9k like people. The character is also far more interesting than any r9k robot. He has used his radical freedom to will himself to be the way he is, so part of the book is an indictment against that conception of human agency. It's made more interesting by the fact that many of his existential ideas are shared by the author, so as a composite character it is interesting to attempt to cleave the good from the bad in him.

I finished it this afternoon and I thought the last page was a pretty thorough wrap-up

Because part of it is about what happens when you become extremely over-preceptive but not empathic/understanding enough to forgive anyone's flaws, not even the smallest (nor your own).

R9K has zero empathy, but they are not that perceptive.

top kek my niggas, r9k is full of normies nowadays
true robots are a dying breed

>Muh mildly intelligent but ultimately whiny and counter intuitive withdrawal from society

You know when people sometimes make threads here where they post frogs and whine self-pitifully? Thats the majority of posts on /r9k/

/r9k/ is seriously the best board on Veeky Forums. Empathetic, eclectic, entertaining and ultimately endearing. While other boards specialize about a certain subject and ban anybody who dares to talk about something different, /r9k/ is a sort of multicultural utopia (one that isn't actually hellish) and welcomes experts from a range of fields, all of whom provide their expertise and help to benefit the collective userbase. You'll find mathematicians, philosophers, arborists, computer whizz kids, amateur sociologists and religious scholars. All in one place and all communicating in a lively and open way, united as they are by the simple fact that in a world of callousness and brutal competition they have opted instead to live a life of purity and detachment.

Tourists get out

Well said kinsman. I tip my hat at you!

Veeky Forums has no right to shit talk /r9k/ given this board was born out of /r9k/. Bunch of shittalking newfags who don't know their history.

There's also the fact that /r9k/, along with /pol/ are the lifeblood and soul of this entire website, just like said.

>Veeky Forums has no right to shit talk /r9k/ given this board was born out of /r9k/

I don't see how that follows. /r9k/ is objectively the worst and most pathetic board on this site. And that's saying something.

Threads on /autist9k/ right now:

>I need a qt trap girlfriend please.
>Incest Thread: How cute is your sister?
>woman hate thread
>How do I get the courage to kill myself?
>(cock picture): Maleanons, can you compete with this?
>Do any other white people have a serious fetish for big black daddy dicks
>How's your transition going, robots? >tfw wanted bagina but too scared to get SRS and end with botched roastie.
>tfw mom found my little sister's panties stuffed in the ps2 expansion bay

That last one sounds like it was thought up by a legit genius

No.

so the bastion of free speech basically

>wanting to hear the free speech of adult males who live at home, are socially inept, too afraid to work, and who spend all their time playing video games and watching anime

kek

Back to
frog faggot

I'm sure there's a rivering discussion on the size of female labia going on

it doesn't matter in the slightest whether I want to hear about it or not, it only matters that the place exists.

don't really see why you personally are being too butthurt about it, if it truly isn't a board with whose members you have anything in common.

>>too afraid to work
>it's a wagecuck morality episode

And if it weren't for /r9k/ this board wouldn't even exist.

And if it wasn't for anime this site wouldn't exist, doesn't mean we have to respect that tripe

reddit.com/r/thelastpsychiatrist/comments/34wabm/since_its_been_a_year_i_guess_ill_share_this_a/

/r9k/ is a board based on Robot9000, a moderator bot written by xkcd's Randall Munroe.
Basically you can never post the same text twice, and this is applied to an entire board.
/r9k/'s userbase was really weird pre-2011, there was a lot of drama that is not relevant anymore though you can read more about it on Encyclopedia Dramatica if you want to.
But in its current state:
You know how this site hosts a lot of outcasts who feel like they have failed in every aspect of normal life?
/r9k/ has the biggest losers of them all.
And all these losers keep validating each others twisted views making them more and more angry at anyone who leads a better life.
These are the 'normies' and they are the 'robots'.

that's exactly what it is

Because it's about more than the tale of a misfit, that was made abundantly clear. The UM doesn't match the average person on /r9k/ or anything easily recognizable anyway: he's intelligent, ridiculous and absurd in psyche and behavior, and genuinely worthy of pity.
t. philisteen

The only difference is that the main character is actually capable of intelligent thought and introspection.

I don't remember reading about *BRAAAP* and mommy gfs so no

A: /r9k/ does not have anywhere near the philosophical depth this guy has in his brains, he's very smart

B: This chooses to be a loser precisely because it asserts his freedom. It goes against common sense, reason,religion, utilitarianism, everything. He does it because, as he says, precisely and only because it is stupid and irrational, and to do what is stupid and irrational because it is stupid and irrational is what makes him a free agent as distinct from a "piano key". /r9k/, if they could snap their fingers and become successful winners and well-loved would do it, but this guy would refuse, if you offered him the button, he would spit on it, because that keeps the button a choice instead of a given.

Why do so few people understand this book on Veeky Forums?

>Chooses to be an INTELLECTUAL loser, this asserts his individuality and freedom

Ultimately a fucking retard in the process. regardless of how you justify being a shutin loser, he's still ultimately a retarded immature loser. i had a thought process similar to the underground man when i was 15.

See above.

>tfw you are russian and read the russian version and got the superior more accurate reading of the book
>amerifats will never ever take that away from you and will simply stay mad

>>tfw you are russian and read the russian version and got the superior more accurate reading of the book
How difficult is Dostoevsky's writing in the original?
I've been learning Russian for a while and thought about re-reading it

>Ultimately a fucking retard in the process. regardless of how you justify being a shutin loser, he's still ultimately a retarded immature loser.
That's correct. He chooses to be an immature, retarded loser, because such a choice is not a given or logical, it is nothing but a stupid choice, and to him that expresses his freedom from being a "piano key" to makes decisions because they are givens.

*who makes decisions because they are givens

I preferred the 2nd half.

Hmm, it's true that he chooses to be a loser in a way but he's also a loser because of forces outside his control (his upbringing without parents and being bullied and ostracized by his peers or any sort of love, thus resulting in his strange psychological complexes). The Underground Man can't help but be a loser; there's always a sort of masochistic inclination toward being pathetic, which he will act on against his own reason, which will result in his guilt or humiliation.

That is if he does act though. The thing is he is overly conscious and second guessing himself. He may not press the button but it's likely he won't press it out of indecision. At first he'll be inclined to reject it based on those rationalizations, but will then be nagged by an inward desire for love, success and a better life in general (The young UM makes clear he wants this and is ashamed of himself and his poverty, while the older UM does seem to at least hint to a secret desire to live in the "Crystal Palace" and fears that a little). And it'll go back and forth and nothing will be done.

Anyway, he's not /r9k/. He's an absurd, twisted and pitiful human being but that's because the author was making a lot of statements with him about a bunch of shit.

>but will then be nagged by an inward desire for love, success and a better life in general
And so he will push it, but then consciously ruin it shortly thereafter.

Maybe. When it comes to a major choice like that, I think he'd be racked with indecision.

Remember he will be occupied with the most petty shit for a long time. Something like this would wreck him.

What do you mean, he had a major decision over that woman.

Because he felt pressured to do something quickly. When it came to avenging himself against the officer, simple decisions would take weeks or months.

I guess I was imagining this scenario as one where he could make a choice at his leisure. The Young UM seems more likely to do something, while the Old UM will be indecisive.

Yeah but the final outer layer around that decision is that it's stupid.

>muh thoughtful thought put into doing something dumb

its like overthinking 2 x 2 and coming the conclusion that its five instead of just simply responding four.

but OH WAIT haha!

cant answer that, to me it isnt hard to read at all because im fluent in the language

No, he put off the decision with the officer because he liked to fantasize about the literary life, but he wouldn't want to actually have it because that would make him no longer a loser. His experience with the prostitute was very literary, and it almost turned his life from pathetic to literary, so he put a stop to it.

>its like overthinking 2 x 2 and coming the conclusion that its five instead of just simply responding four.
Except that's not it at all, the 2 x 2 is about refusing to accept it equals 4, not about overthinking it. Overthinking is a major part of his philosophy, it's something he can't help because he's smart and can't trick himself into believing something just about vengeance is really about "justice". But the 2 x 2 thing has nothing to do with that, it has to do with not making peace with reason or a fact, it has to do with, "Just because it is the case, does not mean I have to accept it."

And people who castrate themselves for other's entertainment

This should have been first and last post ITT I feel like

>>tfw mom found my little sister's panties stuffed in the ps2 expansion bay

I wonder if Veeky Forums knows that you can't fully understand Dostoevsky, unless you speak Russian and have some form of background knowledge on who Dostoevsky was as a person.

>tfw Ruski and am blessed with fluent speaking and parents and relatives that grew up in moscow

What do you use Russian for user? I want to learn it and have made off and on progress with it, but I don't think there's any chance of me going to Russia anytime soon and that kills my motivation.

Russian isn't a language you're going to learn on you're own. There are too many grammatical differences, concepts of expressing emotion, position, movement and other things for someone to be able to learn without someone explaining it to you.

The only thing I liked about this book was the stuff about family, children and respectful women the main character talked about to the prostitute.

I'm confident I'll be fine (I've already taught myself French and Japanese) and I'll use italki when I get all of the basic grammar structures down.

My issue is more, what to do with it other than read Tolstoy and big D when I get to upper-intermediate.

[s4s] is the weirdest fuckin board to date.

You sure about that?
For example in Russian there are two concepts of movement. One unidirectional and the other is habitual or circular. "идти" and "хoдить" both meaning "to walk". Except идти is unidirectional, which means if I were to say "Я идy нa мaгaзинe" that would mean I'm going to the store and I'm not coming back. Идить is better used if you're leaving a party for instance and someone is asking you where you're going and you would say "Я идy нa дoмoй" which means "I'm going home". And even that sentence is different, because дoм and дoмoй are used in different contexts even though they mean the same thing. Anyways хoдить on the other hand is better used, because if I said "Я хoжy нa мaгaзинe" then that implies that I'm going to the store and I'm coming back. And this isn't even getting into perfective, imperfective, subjunctive and command forms.
Now with that being said, I highly doubt you're going to be able to teach yourself Russian. However the only real application you can use it for, is if you're working for the government and they need someone who speaks Russian, or if you're working in an academic setting and your field involves Russian anything, since you can't fully understand Russian works and ideas unless you speak Russian.

I can still get the gist of a text without fully understanding the deepest nuances of the language. I understand learning verbs in pairs (one for a complete action, the other for an ongoing one) and I already have all the cases for feminine nouns in both singular and plural down fairly well. No demonstratives simplifies things greatly, as does Russian's comparatively simple verb tense system.

Russian seems hard because the number of different words used is much higher, on average, than English or French (there seem to be less words you can throw in anywhere or have a ton of idiomatic usage like "get" or "faire" and more specific ones as in your examples) and words are much longer and harder to remember. It doesn't scare me and, on the contrary, what you describe makes me more interested in learning it.

The reason I asked is that I had basically given up on French until I started reading lit in it, and then suddenly it made sense to study, as I know I have years of reading ahead now that I'm more familiar with the different eras of French thought and what they have to offer. Is Russian also like this for books? How about films? Is there an aspect of Russian media or culture it is especially useful to have the language down to enjoy?