I have a bunch of basil. Was thinking about making pesto but can't afford pine nuts and parmesan isn't vegetarian...

I have a bunch of basil. Was thinking about making pesto but can't afford pine nuts and parmesan isn't vegetarian. Can it be done with cheap nuts and cheddar?

Failing that please suggest alternate uses of loads of basil.

>Can it be done with cheap nuts and cheddar?

The nuts? Sure. They're really just there for texture. You can leave them out, or use a different kind of nut.

Cheddar? First off that would taste totally wrong. Second, that's not vegetarian either.

most store bought cheddar is vegetarian in my country. using synthetic rennet.

Tesco value hard cheese is vegetarian it seems. £2.30. Might do the job.

use basil for chimichurri

>>synthetic rennet
Shit-tier cheese that's not worthy of the name.

so milk products are OK for you, but the rennet is not?

Vegetarian or vegan OP? I never knew cheese to not be vegetarian.

vegetarian as I wrote in the OP. I'm not going to fall for this obvious bait.

>tfw my basil plants blossomed
fuck spring

You can make an awesome vegetarian creamy basil sauce for using on pasta, or salads, or grilled eggplant and peppers, or whatever by combing the following in a food processor or blender:
>1 cup (or more) fresh basil
>1 avocado
>1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
>2 tablespoons water
>2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
>1 teaspoon salt
>black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
Just blend it all up and use as you like.

perfect! i can get an avocado and lemon tomorrow after work.

You could make basil icecream. Not for everyone, but I like it.

Other than that I put basil into and onto everything that has tomatoes in it. I can never have too much basil.

this is p. good user

saved
thanks

Here's another I like, but it's a bit more complicated:
>Oil and roast a couple eggplants until soft
>cut in half and scoop out insides
>Chop a large onion (or 2 small ones) and 2 red bell peppers
>saute onion and peppers in olive oil until soft and golden
>add garlic and saute until fragrant
>Put the onions, peppers, garlic, and eggplant pulp in a blender with 1 cup fresh basil (or more to taste), and between 1/2 to 1 cup vegetable broth (depending on how thick you want it) and blend until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, or anything else you might like, like some lemon zest or lemon juice. Use as desired.
If you want it be a little creamy, add some vegetarian sour cream or cashew cream until your desired consistency is reached.

Your welcome!
Always happy to help.

Use sunflower seeds bro.

That pineapple is underripe as fuck it needs to go in a warm sunny spot to ripen what the fuck are you doing.

Not that guy, but pineapples are actually pretty hard to tell ripe from underripe by sight. A pineapple can be really green like that one and still be ripe. Apparently you need to smell the base - if it smells like pineapple juice, it's ripe.

>smell the base
ma nigga.

Im always smelling fruit at the chinese grocery store i get my produce at. I get a few wierd looks and the occasional old azn lady who looks at me like yea you know whats up lil whit boi

I know that, but never in my life have I had a green pineapple that was ripe.

Hell, even letting the green ones "ripen" they still taste shitty compared to yellow ones that are actually real ripe, or at least ones less green than that. That pineapple will never truly ripen at all, it was harvested far too early. It's so god damn rare these days though to find pineapples that aren't green as fuck like that though, getting a halfway yellow pineapple is liking winning the fucking lottery.

Also modern pineapples are shit, they're breeding out the enzyme that digests protein and making them just blandly sweet, fuck that I want tangy pineapple like when I was a kid.

Why the fuck do tasteless bastards have to ruin every fruit by breeding out all floor until it's just blandly over sweet?!

God damn kids these days.

>Apparently you need to smell the base
Are there actually people that don't know that/do that? Same with melons like cantaloupe, press in the bottom slightly and sniff, or watermelons and knocking on them to hear a nice hollow sound, or fruit like mango or avocado squeezing lightly to ascertain if it's the correct firmness (mangos should also smell sweet and mango-ey). Like how the fuck else do you pick good fruit?