Seriously, is ''whiskey'' the longest running meme in modern history of the world?

seriously, is ''whiskey'' the longest running meme in modern history of the world?

>smells like shit
>tastes like shit
>makes you feel like shit
>made out of shit
>expensive as shit

yet everyone ''likes'' it. so tell me, where is the rig? why is everyone pretending to like it? what am i missing?

There are tons of different types of whiskey, some are terrible some are fantastic. It doesn't make you feel like shit, it makes you drunk, no different than any other alcohol. Not made out of shit either, depending on the type it's made from barley, rye, corn, or some combination thereof. It's not all expensive either, single malt Scotch can get up there in price but there are plenty of other perfectly good whiskeys out there.

And, like all other alcohol and just about anything you consume really, it is an acquired taste.

tl;dr ur a fagit

no whiskey can beat a nice, cold and smooth glass of milk

Milk won't make me intoxicated.

mmmmm that's some nice bait

stop typing 'meme' and you might stop being a fucking asshole.

kill yourself my man

Cream liqueur

protip all straight liquor tastes like shit

Experienced liquor, and in particular, whisky/whiskey (for you autists) drinker here. I've tried everything from garbage gut rot bottom shelf to rare limited single malts.
If you drink a bunch of different booze, you'll likely develop a "taste" for a certain kind. Might be a smokey single malt whiskey, might not be... Everyone is different.
Someone claiming a certain booze is really superior is just being a condescending fag for the most part. That being said, cheap vodka is terrible compared to cognac. Again, that's my opinion.
Some are "pretending" to like it, to be edgy or seem hardcore or as if they have elite taste, others genuinely do like it.

For me personally, i've had 25$/bottle liquors that I'd rate as very drinkable and nearly as good as 120$/bottle stuff which i wasn't super impressed by.

Partially true, but also false in the sense that, if you acquire a taste for a certain booze, you can enjoy it neat or on the rocks.

why buy whisky if i can get rum?

agreed even i can do some good tequila on the rocks but the fundamental taste of the intoxicating agent in all liquors is the same regardless of variety and will always taste like, well, pretty much poison

Hmm, I suppose I can't refute that. But in reality, it -IS- poison haha. So there's that.

I actually find good rum to be my favorite of all hard liquors. None of that vanilla flavored shit though, that's disgusting as far as i'm concerned.

Meme drinker here.
I'm going to buy a bottle of rum, what would be your pick for a cheap yet good rum?

How cheap is cheap?

Whiskey is definitely an acquired taste. I detest it. It's the cilantro of alcohol for me.

Something under or around 40$.

I pretend to like it, to be completely honest.

El Dorado. if you can get it. appleton is acceptable but tastes like steel.

Yeah El Dorado is good, and El Diplomatico too.

Fuck overly sweet swill, bought a bottle of really highly rated decently expensive stuff (for rum, was like $45) so god damn sweet I couldn't drink it. WTF is with so many people liking everything disgustingly sweet?

Same with mead, dry or only slightly sweet mead is great, but apparently 99% of people want alcoholic fucking honey. Like if that's all you're after why not just pour some vodka in your honey and call it a day?

think the same. but i may get my head around why people like it. but i dont think i ever will.

I'm with you OP, whiskey tastes like pure shit and I don't understand the hype. I think a lot of it comes down to young men showing off trying to prove that they're manly and have superior taste.

What a load of wank.

You can get El Dorado for that. Anniversario is also ok. Stay away from Kraken or anything "spiced" spiced rum is rum that didn't turn out, so they added a ton of chemical flavoring to it to disguise how shitty it is.
If you live in Canada and can get it, you want "Smugglers cove"

I could never get into rum, I like it being used as a tone in more complex spirits but by itself most rum are quite monotonous and not very interesting to me.

I bought a bottle of dark rum recently and I've been enjoying it greatly. Way more interesting and complex than any spiced rum I've tried so far and before I realized half the bottle was gone.
Keep trying maybe you'll find a kind you'll enjoy.

Everyone thinks "acquired taste" is a meme until they grow up and stop being little faggots.

I still can't stand the taste of beer but i fucking love whiskey. Irish Mules are one of my favorite drinks ever and Jim Beam Rye and coke is such a tastey chill drink. Jameson is the only real whiskey I drink OTR sometimes but I'd prefer a cocktail.

I agree, a good Brandy is better.

Well the one I had recently was El Dorado 8, which is supposed to be amber rum and not spiced, and I wasn't superbly impressed.
Maybe I should've tried the 12 year old instead but I don't really see much use for it aside from rum cakes and mixing.
Too bad cognac and armagnac are so fucking overpriced for the basic flavors they offer.

Kentucky mules with knob creek or four roses small batch are heaven. Gotta use a good ginger beer though. Cock & bull, no seagrams shit.

I swear by the copper mug too. I went to a Fridays once and they served my mule in a glass and it was the worst tasting cocktail I've ever had.

>But in reality, it -IS- poison haha. So there's that.
yep

>Stay away from Kraken or anything "spiced" spiced rum is rum that didn't turn out
that makes me sad as i rather like the idea of spiced rum despite never having tried it, maybe what i've imagined would bd more like a very hard cider

>>makes you feel like shit

Wow either you think you have to drink to get drunk or you're bigger light weight than I am.

There's this moment when I drink where I'm comfortably numb but nowhere near drunk. That is the sweet spot. The key to get there is to take your time and know when to stop.

>aaaaand he posts a picture of bourbon

I dislike drinking straight milk. I like drinking straight whiskey.

>jack daniels
>bourbon

so basically fuck liquor.

I am 14 years old: the post

Try adding whiskey.

>aaaaand he posts a picture of chill-filtered and artificially coloured whisky

impressive

Whiskey is my go-to for getting drunk.

I don't buy into the super expensive shit though. I'd never spend more than like $40 on a fifth and I usually drink $9 Benchmark and I like it better than more expensive shit.

I usually only drink entry priced whiskey. I like it well enough and it doesn't hurt the pocket although for special occasions I can go for something more expensive. For years and years I went between Grants and Teachers. I liked both in they were adequate whiskeys, but they didn't pussyfoot around trying to taste fancy or weak. They were good (for the price) straight up whiskeys. Now I only seem to buy Canadian Club. Every time I buy any other entry level whiskey I just don't like them anymore.

spiced rum just sounds so delicious, just rolls off the tongue

i imagine a world of flavor, flavorworld, but then it just tastes like poison
i drink vodka though so what do I know

>obviously hasn't drank enough milk

How does one aquire whisky's taste? I've got some in my shelf that I never got to start on, should I blend it with coke to soften the taste? Drink it straight until I like it?

The same way you acquire a taste for everything. You try it constantly in a huge number of dishes and eventually you find one where you don't mind the taste, you eat/drink that dish a lot while still experimenting, and then one day you suddenly like it.

This is true of nearly every single dish that any group of people like that you don't. Theres a few foods that are affected by genetics, like cilantro, but those are the exceptions to the rule

How's Captain Morgan? I haven't heard much in the way of good things about that rum, but I want to hear a rum drinkers perspective.

What are the best widely available whiskeys? I'm too poor to afford anything special.

I'm a fan of Bacardi Gold desu

recommend me a $25 bottle,I wanna try something new

Laphroaig drinker here, (PX is my jam) never had longrow how is it? I do like peaty stuff, but also a little medicinal/phenolic I think is the term?

>tfw this hits stores tomorrow

You're as smooooooth as Tennessee whiskey~
You're as sweeeeeeet as strawberry wiiiine~

>I don't enjoy thing
>That means no one else enjoys thing because how could anybody possibly enjoy thing that I don't?

>Tfw i like kraken rum

Paint thinner/10

jim beam black

terrible. tried it twice just to be sure. its like cheap, really bad booze they bought, then put a label on, and charged a few dollars more.

Diplomatic Exclusiva Reserva is a favourite of mine. Once it's been open a while it tastes very sweet without being sickly and is a top notch rum. It's nice right out the bottle, but if you leave a glass out overnight (covered) the next day the difference in taste is quite noticeable and a definite step up.

I dont know about whiskey in general but bourbon smells delicious

Its like fucking eggnog

All alcohol tastes like poison to me though

It's like sitting beside a campfire in the woods on a cloudy autumn day while it's slightly raining. That's the mental image I got while tasting and smelling it. Completely different to Laphroaig.

Don't drink bourbon or blends, single malt or nothing.

Try Drambuie.

13 year old detected, it's ok user. Someday you'll understand, but for now I would stick to pic related

Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare tend to get recommended for this. If you want really common then Wild Turkey 101 or Rye is a good bet.

Whiskey is smoother than vodka and more fun to drink straight. But it also provides a worse hangover. Overall it's a bit overrated even single malt scotch. I much prefer wasting money on some complex craft beer than an expensive scotch.

/thread

Bought a bottle of this recently and its a bit plain tasting imo

Yeah its nothing special. Just was off the top of my head. I find it does have a bit more flavor than the usual paint thinner booze

>tfw a "on the tap" whiskey store opened in my home town where they pour you a bottle directly from the barrels
Can't wait to go visit the mum the next holidays

Vodka drunk < whiskey drunk

Getting drunk with whiskey doesn't make me feel like shit. Just warm and pleasant.

Alcohol is alcohol.

It doesn't work like that you retard.

McPoyle? We dont want your lukewarm milk, Liam!