Video games

Hi Veeky Forums, what's your opinion on video games?
Can they be an actual hobby or is it just spending free time in the wrong way?
Do you think one should avoid them?

waste of time

especially morpg.

i miss the days one needed talent to pray a game.

If you like playing them, then it's not a waste of time. Nothing is a waste of time if you like doing it. People here attempt to create a persona wherein they appear intellectual, only interested in math or science. In reality, that never happens, and they are temporarily fooling themselves, since they would be top tier researchers otherwise. At best, that kind of behaviour is cringey.

If you like science or math, you will study it on your own, without having to force yourself to avoid things you enjoy. If you really like video games, play them. That's all there is to it.

Only a waste of time to those who use it to merely waste time. As with everything, moderation is key. That said, the coming virtual simulations that video games will evolve to will challenge the normal concepts of "real".

OP here
You still need talent to play some games. Or you can still play old classic games.
But videogames easily interfere with my other hobbies or interests. Should I stop playing them if I can't control my behavior concerning videogames completely?

The problem with video games as a hobby, OP, is that it isn't a very creative hobby.

You might play DOTA, for example, and play around 5,000 games over the coarse of a few years maybe and all you have accomplished or created are experiences for yourself when you played the game and replays that no one, not even you will ever watch.

Which is all fine and well if you enjoy participating in an active gaming community.....We will all have friends and a life one day that will 'waste our time' right? But just think about what all your gaming will be in 10 years when no one plays WoW anymore.

Be a renaissance man and paint or learn an instrument OP. Don't be a millennium loser detached from other human beings.

Its the matrix, man.

TL;DR

If you're not creating things for other people to enjoy and finding it fun, you're probably not an adult yet.

i had the opportunity to elaborately test htc vive. indescribable. its a complete new era.

When you die in a videogame, you die in real life too.

Youre paying with the minutes and seconds of your life.

Same as when you go to work.

anti-intellectual

>But videogames easily interfere with my other hobbies or interests.
No more than literally any other hobby, in the sense that if you're spending time doing one thing you're not spending time doing another. You don't need to spend 16 hours a day doing things related to your studies. You couldn't do that if your tried.

>If you're not creating things for other people to enjoy and finding it fun, you're probably not an adult yet.
You heard it here. Stop reading books, listening to music, cooking inteesting meals for yourself, watching movies, riding bikes, going on hikes, playing sports, lifting weights, etc. Stop wasting everyone's time and start spending all of your energy creating things for mass consumption.

Waste of time
Every hobby is a waste of time. However, the human needs an ampunt of physical exercises to be sane and healthy.
Also, we live in society. We tend to see useful/appealing behaviors and talents as great "traits".
In the same way, we tend to develop ourselves so we can be a great member of our society.

Playing games/collecting things/knowing what to do when a zombie apocalypse happens, are useless/not appealing behaviors a sane person would find inferior, it doesn't fit in society.

Alienated people tend to have those kind of hobbies.

Most of them feel it and know it, but their ego makes them look for reasons to supports their made up delusions. They believe they would stop feeling useless once society stops mocking them.

It's a hobby, something one does for one's own pleasure. If you pick your hobbies based on what other people think about them, that is really sad.

>Alienated people tend to have those kind of hobbies.
Literally every friend I've ever had played video games. Females included.
That list ranges from doctors to drug dealers and dole dossers.

>thinking if society likes it
You don't need to think if you like your hobby, user. We automatically know games are useless.

And you wonder why most people are so empty and don't use their potential fully.

My opinion is that time enjoyed is not time wasted, because we all die eventually so nothing really matters.

People don't have "potential".

>Nothing is a waste of time if you like doing it.
Being that there are subjectively 'good' uses of time, most people would still agree that dedicating the majority of your life to videogames is still a waste of time. Basing 'waste' off of one individual's opinion is not a very good way to judge if something is good usage of time.

Kerbal space program
Realistic enough to be challenging, but not to the point, where it becomes boring. Anyone who enjoys rocket science, or the sheer thrill of exploring other planets and such will surely enjoy it.
If it's not realistic enough for you, you can always mod the shit out of it, so it becomes NASA space program

Most people would agree that dedicating the majority of your life to any hobby at all is a waste of time. I don't think anyone is suggesting spending most of your time playing video games.

I just went through an entire term without playing video games, or doing much of anything that wasn't school related. To relax after doing my homework, instead of turning my brain off, I fired up self-study resources to get a head start on future classes.

Surprise, surprise, I burned the fuck out. Biffed one final, had some stress-related medical issues, and in general, I didn't come away with a thorough understanding of the subject matter in any of my classes.

Moderation in all things, be it productivity or mental masturbation.

In my dynamics class, my professor brought in Kerbal for the last day of the quarter. Showed us launches, fly bys, and all that good stuff. It was really cool seeing it all "first hand" what we had been discussing. At the same time, though, it was hilarious that he's getting paid to play a video game in front of his class.

They can still fall down?
Jokes aside, I am not sure about that, though you weren't that specific. I would assume that most people will never develop grade 10 math comprehension or any language if it is not taught to them. Some people are better at learning something than others (while I don't believe that NatSci or playing an instrument or so is unlearnable by anyone provided some basic level of motivation or interest).

Hi Veeky Forums, what's your opinion on Veeky Forums?
Can it be an actual hobby or is it just spending free time in the wrong way?
Do you think one should avoid it?

related, what's your opinion on video game devs?

is using my superior math abilities for make game wrong?

As a recreational hobby, I can't say it's "bad". However, some recreational activities actually pay returns on the time you invest in them, read a novel and your writing and vocabulary will improve, practice a musical instrument and you'll develop a skill, play a video game and.... nothing. You spend hours and hours getting good at a particular game and it's all gone when the next one comes along.

Waste of time is subjective. Every activity could be considered a waste of time. Work, relationships, training, sports, video games.

It depends entirely on what you want to do with your life.

If you want to have a lot of fun and challenging experiences, then video games are a marvelous use of your time.

>Stop reading books,
Helps you to get better at creating things.
> listening to music,
Doesn't take all of your concentration unless you're a tween retard who lies on her bed only listening to shit.
>cooking inteesting meals for yourself,
Cooking is a skill that can be used to create good meals for others too.
>watching movies,
Yeah, stop that.
>riding bikes, going on hikes, playing sports, lifting weights, etc.
Getting a ripped body will help you give someone quality D one day.
>Stop wasting everyone's time and start spending all of your energy creating things for mass consumption.
Ideally yes.

Do what I do, OP. Go download Duskers and HackNet and tell yourself you're learning to code.

Video games wouldn't have helped you a fraction as much as lifting and learning how to diet properly would've.

Also stop being weak faggot, "burning out" isn't a real thing.

>Biffed one final, had some stress-related medical issues, and in general, I didn't come away with a thorough understanding of the subject matter in any of my classes.
That's because you're retarded user.

YEW DUNNO ME

I'LL CUTCHA

Haha I'd kinda like to know what you do. Paint me a picture of a day in your life, being that you're an ideal human spending your time creating things for others (while at the same time advising others NOT to consume what others have already made for them, which makes your creations pointless by your logic).

>Autism the post

moderation in all things? that must be the key to success..

Watches bsm and bill nye all day and thinks he's an astrophysicist.

>"burning out" isn't a real thing.
lol

Your time is nigh, user.

Waste of time

You can enjoy the fuck out of life and contribute to the consumer economy without pointlessly pissing hours away in your mothers' basement.

>Paint me a picture of a day in your life
(ChemE postgrad)
>5:30 Wake up, spoon with gf then prepare for the day.
>6:00-7:30 Cardio/gym.
>7:30 Get to lab/office.
>Catch up and banter with friends and colleagues and do admin shit.
>Listen to rants off people who got scooped (again).
>8:00-13:00 "Work" (hardly work if you enjoy your research)/study / lecture / banter with advise/have meetings with various academics and talk about their / my research / brew beer (departemental brewery).
>13:00 Meet gf for lunch, sometimes go with friends/colleagues, most often talk about work or something interesting. Sometimes go for walks around campus.
>14:00-18:00 Put some music on while programming/writing papers.
>18:00-21:30 Go out and socialize/practice my (mostly pencil) drawing/non-academic reading/electronics projects (mostly playing with RaspPis I use as controllers).
>21:30 Fuck gf and go to sleep.

I work on weekends with the same schedule. Rest days are a meme that destroy your good habits.

I worked 60+ hours/week in my undergrad both on my degree and other things and never burned out. Get fucked.

>never experienced something
>must not exist
>I'm a scientist lol

Also to be fair add Veeky Forums to my 14:00-18:00 slot. I mostly post here while waiting for simulations to finish. There's usually some interesting/funny threads that I feel help me develop it's not a major waste of time like people here want to believe. Especially on Veeky Forums you often learn outlines/basics/starting points from Anons in other fields that you can then study further on your own.

THIS IS A VIDEO gAME? jUST MAKE SURE YOU BREATH HEAVY FRIEND. TIME DOESNT EXIST.

>never experienced something
I also never experienced astral projection.
>must not exist
Burden of proof...

:30 Fuck gf and go to sleep.
I sure hope you're not using contraceptives, user. You better not be having sex without creating something for the whole world to enjoy.

I...goddammit...

Little known fact: video games were actually invented by the Jews as a way to keep the white race ignorant and docile.

I would love to get back into videogames if there were just a few more hours in the day. I'm too busy with work college and the little social stuff I have time for.

The way I look at it:

We only have one life, and if you spend it all doing things others consider productive at the end of it you've only pissed away the only chance you've gotten. Everything in moderation is okay, I probably average 2 hrs a day of videogames, less if I'm particularly busy that day.

>at the end of it you've only pissed away the only chance you've gotten.
I don't know many old people bitching about not having spent enough time in an arcade/whatever the fuck.

From the most to least succesful people the biggest regrets are always career/education related ("I should never have sold off [a subsidiary of his company he got tired of maintaining]", "I should've worked harder to leave more behind for my family/children", "I wish I studied engineering instead of law", "I wish I didn't drop out of college", etc.).

Those are all verbatim qoutes.

Other regrets are relationshit related.

>wish I studied engineering instead of physics.

Fixed.

>Get fucked
You still have growing to do kid

>t. vidya playing manchild

I think it depends on the hobby and how you look at it.

Creative hobbies like carpentry, electronics or writing are diferent from videogames in their most fundamental way. You're creating something, not consuming, which means that where there was nothing before there is something, an object or product and with time you can perfect the task of creation by being faster and more precise in your work.

Creative hobbies have more posibilites of finding value in society. A writer has to investigate and learn(well... usually), a carpenter needs to learn about using tools and what tools he needs to do more precise and special task and a person doing electronics... well, that goes by itself.

On the other hand, it really depends on what you're interested and what you do in the time you expend on your hobbies. My brother learnt about random numbers by taking notes of the modificators that affected new loot, just for example, if you are writing a story and go directionless with it you won't find as much value as if you took into account narrative tecniques and expresion, a person listening music can actually learn languages if he takes the time to understand what he is actually hearing.

So in the end, its more of a mix of both.

Hi the guy who made the post about creating things was me. I wake up around 4:30am, get ready for work, clock in at 5am, finish at 8:00. off to job #2 from 8:30 till 2:30 then another job till 3:00 - 10.

You are trying to be more resourceful than me when you are not. I did not say you cant consume. I am just saying there is more pleasure in creativity than consumption.