How many of you have actually read War & Peace? What was your favorite scene and why was it Prince Andrei's death...

How many of you have actually read War & Peace? What was your favorite scene and why was it Prince Andrei's death? Such a beautifully written moment.

When Tolstoy calls his passing "the mystery of death being accomplished" I had to set the book down for a few minutes and just let the feelings wash over me.

There are so many other tremendous moments, though.
>The wolf hunt
>The Battle of Borodino
>Napoleon at Austerlitz
>The evacuation of Moscow

Been a few years since I read it. I'm probably due for a reread.

Favorite scene would be the sleigh ride with Nikola and Sonya.
Lots of great scenes though.

My three favorites have been mentioned.
The death of Andrei, the wolf hunt and the sleighride (followed by sneaking out of the party).

I read that last part under the christmas tree while i was home for the holidays. My heart still melts when i think about it.

Other favorites where
>Andrei looking at the men bathing in the pool like carps
>Moscow envisioned as a beehive
>The whole part with the partizans in the rain.
>Petja trying to stay awake the night before the raid.
>Andrei's thoughts as he's wounded at Austerlitz.
>When Natasja walks in on the wounded Andrei my (dutch) translation said something like : she stepped in like a kitten, in her white nightgown (butchering it right now). But as Tolstoj described her as a kitten, i fell in love for a second.

Man, so much great stuff in there.

I love the part when Andrei is in the medical tent with Anatole. The part was very moving as he remembers Natasha in 1810 with "her face ready for rapture" and he loves Anatole just the same. Tolstoy tricked me with that, I thought Andrei actually died then (i also thought he died at Austerliz too though) but his real death scene was moving as well

I've read it a few years ago and all I remember is that it was great but I can't recall any details.
I think I might be retarded, maybe I should reread it.

i bet everyone itt read this book in english

I bet you're a cunt.

This

Probably P&V too

fucking plebs

I read it in Spanish

delete this

I read it in Hungarian, what now?

I read it in Polish!!

I picked it up at the beginning of Summer and want to read it by the end of this year but I know it's going to take me ages.

>mfw pleb anglos can't even imagine the intricacies of the Hungarian language

It's actually a pretty light read despite its lenght

When Pierre's first wife is described as painted by the gazes that have run over her body to contrast sonia's innocence. I can't remember the exact words but it was such a glimmer of incredible writing, I'd consider the whole novel a worthwile read just for that

> mfw I read the french dialogue in french and understood it

whew, i'm in the clear, lads

> mfw Finnish puts Hungarian intricacies to shame

This happens to me with almost everything I read within a month or so. Details fall away and I'm left with only a vague impression. I hate it.

What do they do with that in french translations? Leave it in french?

It's really obvious symbolism but I love Andrei and the old Tree on his estate before and after he meets Natasha for the first time. I love how the show depicted it as well, I was hoping they would

Translate it to Russian

Footnotes precising it was originally written in French.

I love everything to do with Pierre and Andrei being bros. There's that one bit where Pierre visits him on his estate and they just talk all day and night and it's so nice.

MVQ its easier for Spaniards to understand French because Romance roots. Also Italian and Huer Huer

My favorite part of War and Peace was when OP didn't use the spoiler tags for major plot points

Only read the first book for now, then i switched to Sven hassel book, for i got bored. It keeps on happening in these.

I just bought this.

Thanks for spoiling it you asshole.

>reading for the plot

Not my favorite, but I think one of the best written scenes in the book is the one where Andrei comes home just when his wife is dying/ giving birth. You can tell that everyone in the house is so astonished by his arrival that they stop really caring about the poor girl's death, who always felt alienated with them. Then nobody talks about her for the rest of the book, not even her son seems to care. Also Sonya is one of the most interesting and well-written characters in the book in my opinion.
I think this is one of the main beauties of Tolstoy's writing, how he can make very interesting characters and stories but not attract any attention to them. It makes his books feel so alive.