What's your favorite Tolstoyevski novel? Mine is The Brothers Karenina

What's your favorite Tolstoyevski novel? Mine is The Brothers Karenina

Crime and Peace is much better in my opinion.

Poor and Peace

The Idiot Sonata.

notes from the resurrection

Infinite Jest

The demon cozacks.
Obvs.

War and Punishment is the apex of literature.

Oblomov

war and shitposts

Ana from the Underground

it's a heartbreaking novel about a girl who tries to prove to the world that "fembots" are real, but ultimately in fact has sex with a chad in the end and but so gets reeeee'd at by real robots

Youth

Amateur hour is over.

Notes from and Other Stories is underrated

>ctrl+f: the House of Ivan Ilyich
>no results found
Veeky Forums being pleb as usual

Father Karamozov

The Death of the Dead was far more interesting. Bleakest piece of literature to date.

>The Death of the Dead

This is a really significant example of how important the ostensibly trivial translation of a title can be. Aylmer Pevear and Louise Volokhonsky (as is their custom) really did their readers a disservice with that title, since it clouds the reader's perception (sadly including yours, user) of the events in the book. It astonishes me that they went against the original title, The Death of Death, as rendered (and of course vetted by Tolstoyevsky himself) by Richard and Larissa Maude, the real power couple of Russian translation. Right there in the Maudes' title choice is so accurately summed up the essence of the book, and indeed of Leodor's devout faith in its complexity. Just look at the hope it conveys, along with its faithfulness to his crucial Scriptural allusion.

I actually read the Duffy McDavid translation, which also uses this title. Should I reread it in the Maude translation?

Dead Folk is his best work.

Maudes are always a good choice, but McDavid isn't bad either. Another really good one is Andrew MacAvsey.

How's pic related?

(Please don't judge me, my history with money is worse than Rostolnikov's.)

Exactly, see how the cover image takes Tolstoyevsky's allegory of the triumph of the cross over the power of sin and death and, based no doubt on the mistranslated title, twists the reader toward expecting a macabre spectacle.
I went and dug out my own copy, a neat old 1914 edition from Scribners; the original Maude of course. I think there's a copy on Project Gutenberg too since the Maudes are public domain.
your shop game's on point user

which translation do i get

Definitely the Maudes (titled as in ). Another good older translation is Constance Magarshack; much more diligent than David Garnett.

kek

This thread kept me going before suicide. Thanks, user.

Guys, how can you be forgetting the cornerstone of Russian theatre Ostrovsky's The Lower Seagull

The Lower Seagull was written by Antoxim Gorkov...
But this thread was about Tolstoyevsky, so why would anyone bring that up?

:'(

>not reading Dostogol
The Nose of the Possessed is the best story.

Bit off topic, but has anybody read "The Lady with the Little Pit" by Androney Platonov?