Dunno if this is the proper place but let's try

Dunno if this is the proper place but let's try.

I am a electrical engineering student and i've been looking for a new calculator, since i'm starting the specifics classes i will be able to use a graphical calculator, so my question is:
which one should i buy a HP 50g or the HP prime.

i thought in buy a texas instruments calc, buy in my country they don't have support for the buyers

You still use a calculator?

i know i can use a smartphone, but i doubt the teacher will let me use it on a test

>electrical engineering student
>wanting anything but MATLAB and basic scientific calc
from one to another: that's just dumb

no reason to buy an overpriced calc. use matlab or wolframalpha website etc.

you probably need a cheap one at exam tho. hopefully you are not allowed to use expensive graph one there. if so just borrow it . or buy it and return it later for money back.

If you're a student, this is how it works: Figure out what the tests involving calculators allow you to use, buy the cheapest allowed model that has all of the necessary functions for the courses you will be taking. There is nothing more to it.

Related.

Is the HP 50g/Prime the best graphing calc out there. How does the TI-86 compare? I just emulate that on my phone.

>using graphing calculators past high school

just kill yourself now, you're fucked

>Using graphing calculators
>Randomly not capitalizing I's
>Run on sentence

13 year olds don't belong here

Jesus fuck some of us have homework/exams in university, terrible apologies this isn't a PhD.

Those cheap calculators won't be as nice for doing calculations either because you cant write out a full expression and then solve.

Download matlab graphing calc app

is that one of the calculators /g/ raves about?

Outside of class you should use this tho tbqhwy

Matlab is a fucking abomination. I use it every day, but only because it's the only language the average EE speaks, goddamn it. I miss physics where the glorious C and Phython master races reign supreme.

Pro tip: ALWAYS solve your problems algebraically first, and THEN plug numbers into the calc. You will solve problems much more effectively, you won't make mistakes propagating numbers between equations, and the input to your calc will be short, obviating the need for a pretty print TI-89 readout.

Fuck I'm SO USED TO PRETTY PRINT I CANT ESCAPE HELP

pretty sure the average EE knows assembly and C programming too. they are very close to CE here.

>Matlab is a fucking abomination. I use it every day, but only because it's the only language the average EE speaks, goddamn it. I miss physics where the glorious C and Phython master races reign supreme.

Chemist here. Out of curiosity, did you guys learn your programming languages informally or formally? I learned Octave/Matlab by myself. How can I put that into my CV?

Oh, don't get me wrong, people will gobble your knob if you are proficient at Matlab. It's just makes me want to shove a keyboard up Cleve Moler's ass.

EE is perhaps the broadest engineering field their is. I am in an RF lab. I am literally the only person who knows C in my group. My group has 15 students.

Mathematica masterrace checking in. It was the main program we used in Physics besides python. It is my favorite software package for symbolic work. But i have done a lot with matlab for engineering. I don't mind it. Embedded C is by far my least favorite. Fucking registers

I have this real nice canon calculator at home, can post it when i get there

Speaking of calculators, I worked for Texas Instruments once and most of the engineers had casio calculators or some random no name shit brand lol. We like most I engineers have nothing to do with the calculators so it makes sense but it was still pretty funny

i went to one if the reject uc school and did ee
not once were we allowed to use calculators on a test/quiz

Casio sorry, it uses an LCD screen with color, but sadly no backlights

calculator++ for your phone

Just download Mathematica or Maple.

This is the only good answer

If you really need a graphing calculator to understand curves, you need to fuck right off.

TI-36x Pro easily trumps a TI-89

This isn't for plotting curves by the time you are in university, even those still attending calculus already know the curves.

This is for calculation on tests with features like pretty matrix input. A scientific calculator is not as nice because you can't get the pretty print.

Use MalMath for android bois

Use computer instead:
Maple
TI-Nspire
Matlab
Matematica
Wolfram-alpha online

Buying a calculator is a waste, at best it can do what your computer can but without a full keyboard and the option to copy paste, upload assignments and download custom functions without transfering.

Mathematica turned out the be shit compared to a calculator - there is no EE button, you can't easily put down functions when you have to use Capital[] and then //N to get an exact answer for homework. Needs heavy configuration in order to be a decent calculator.

Even matlab is better as a calculator for doing your homework.

There aren't any calculators with a built in penis you could suck, sorry.

>This is for calculation on tests with features like pretty matrix input. A scientific calculator is not as nice because you can't get the pretty print.

There are $20 scientific calculators that have textbook display, imaginary numbers, and matrix abilities like the Casio 115es+ and 991ex

Download HP prime emulator free from HP website.

>I worked for Texas Instruments once and most of the engineers had casio calculators or some random no name shit brand lol

Why?

I see the TI-36X Pro looks nice but perhaps HP offers an university calculator of similar type including the RPN.

It's hard to beat 50 buckaroons though with all the features.

If you actually understand the material, you can do problems faster by hand than on calculator. If you're just blindly inputting into a calculator using saved formulas, you're pretty much useless in anything practical like research or a job.

Graphing calculators are for freshman scrubs that will drop out and change to humanities or business after their first semester. In my senior classes at a big 10 university, we didn't even calculate stuff numerically, and if we did, it was on a computer in a lab.

Get an 8 dollar scientific and you'll be set

Just put it under skills. Most people take one programming class with C and are expected to pick up everything else on the fly since, yknow, they know how to program.

They're usually required to take C or C++ but expecting an EE to be good at anything computer related is a stretch in my experience. Case in point see > Out of curiosity, did you guys learn your programming languages informally or formally?

You can't formally teach people how to program. All you can do is drag them through labs and the occasional exam and hope they pick it up.

Also: to all the people saying mathimatica is so great: It sucks balls. It's slow, it's expensive, the programming language is retarded. If you know matlab use that or octave, otherwise just use maple or whatever else you feel like using. Heck you can write most of one in lisp just fine (except integration). I think that's why people like the HP50g so much, it breaks the integrals into steps for you and that's the main reason you would use a CAS in the first place in undergraduate math.

do you not know how to TIbasic or are you just poor?

I'm none of those idiots, but why would I want to learn a shitty calculator programming language to take advantage of an overpriced low-power CPU? There are too many superior alternatives to list, from a laptop (what STEM student doesn't have one?) to a RPi 3 or zero with a $30 touchscreen TFT.

I stand by my previous statement itt: Get the cheapest non-chinese model allowed on tests at your college that has all the features you'll be expected to use. $100 or less new. I'm not offended by calculators, but they're rarely the best option today.

It isn't really about processing power most of the time. If you are trying to brute force a math problem, by all means, get yourself a computer, but for 80% of math problems having something in your hand you can program with is invaluable. think about why they would include one in GNU emacs:

Just the fact that it is an easily programmable computer. Your brain works one way, computers work totally differently. You should be able to see the advantage of having quick access to a tried and true computer that fits in your pocket.

TI basic is elegant as hell. It's basically assembly minus bitwise garbage, the perfect amount of abstraction. I love them because they made highschool classes trivial, and are a lot of fun.

TI-36X PRO. That's it. Nothing else.

I'm a EE grad student. My C is pretty shoddy. I know 1 flavor of assembly but I know it very well.

OP I have a ti-84 I've been using since Calc 1. It doesn't hurt to have a calculator that does magic space math but more often than not you can just use a computer for complex problems or pencil and paper for simple algebra stuff.

Who do you consider good at anything computer related if you categorize them by education/ profession? I'm a EE and pretty bad, but it seems how good people are with computers is more related to autism then choice in training/education.
Also for reference the required learning in my program was C, Matlab (although there is nothing to be learned there), MIPS, and VHDL (which was really just creating an assembly language in VHDL, nothing actually useful).

Stupid question, is that the build on programming language for TI calculators?

I completely agree with the advantage of a portable computer, I suppose I've been biased towards those that I've had more experience with (and coding with a standard keyboard is nice). Thanks for your input, you've made me want to code something on my old inherited TI-83+. I suppose it's also a great entry point to coding for many.

yes, they use a language called "TI BASIC" which compiles to Z80 assembly

Thinking about purchasing a DM16:

swissmicros.com

Programmable, Reverse Polish Notation and sexy keyboard.