Bread Bread

Is there anything better in life than freshly baked bread?
I hope you bake your own bread user, shame on you for buying it in the store if you do.

i want to grow my own wheat, grind my own flower, and bake my own bread eventually

Your bread looks terrible.

It tastes good.
Why do you think it looks terrible?

It's ok he didn't mean it

why isn't that ryebread though?

There is rye in the mix, among other grains.

How did you cut it so perfectly?

yeah i'll pay $1 at the bakery instead. i'm not a stupid fucking idiot like you.

I've been buying bread in the store lately but I have a bread maker machine at home that I haven't used in a few years.

I'm going to go and buy some good quality multi grain bread flour and yeast tomorrow and bake a loaf or two in the machine

I know I could use my oven but I'm lazy and the machine will kneed it for me too

The main thing I miss when using machines is the quality of the crust and consistency of the bread.
It's pretty good and easy to use though, definitely better than store bought.
Also good store bought/bakery bread is really hard to find where I live, not to mention price is way too high if you want quality.

baking regular bread is probably not worth it. But if you add a couple things it suddenly becomes worth it, because comparable loafs are double or triple the price.

I make a sourdough wheat loaf with caraway and fennel. Very tasty, very inexpensive for me to make.

Are bread makers for lazy people?

It's very popular over here.
for reasons mentioned It was all the rage a couple years ago and it caught on even though manually made breads never really did.
It's incredibly convenient. Just put the ingredients in and wake up in the morning to fresh bread.
Making bread is a weekly thing for me so I don't really mind putting in an hour or so for the difference.

they're great for kneading dough. Get a used one for cheap if you can.

>Is there anything better in life than freshly baked bread?
To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

i can see that but pure rye is the way to go

Anyone here use spelt?

I tried making a loaf last week with spelt, as opposed to normal wheat flour, and it just didn't seem to rise at all.

Is this expected, or do I use a different kind of yeast or what?

Haven't tried it, but I think fermentation just takes longer.
How long did you let it sit for and how much yeast did you use?

Just my usual of 15g dried yeast per 500g flour.

It tasted nice enough, but was a bit dense as you might imagine.

Loaves made of all whole grain are typically very dense.

fresh baked cookies/brownies

Got a bannock going on the stove now

Goddamn frankenstein's monster of flours

Almond, arrowroot, whole wheat, oat, cornmeal all thrown together

But I love me some fresh bannock

Actually I did mean it.

You still haven't answered my question though.
Why does it look terrible?

Not him but you may have gone a little overboard with the surface flour and it might be construed at a glance to be somewhat akin to mold

Otherwise I do say it looks like a good chunk, I'd certainly eat it

There was a bit too much flour on the surface, although it does look worse than it is in the picture.
I think I'll use a sieve next time.