I'm looking for recommendations of literary magazines with good short stories...

I'm looking for recommendations of literary magazines with good short stories. Tin House is the only one I read right now. I'm hoping for more of the same caliber.

I know there are also great magazines of poetry and criticism, but I'm personally most interested in ones with strong fiction.

New Yorker, Tin House, McSweeney's. Everything else is second tier or lower.

"I just wrote my first short story and I think it's really good and want to know where to submit it."

Fixed that for you.

>New Yorker
>McSweeney's
Please be joking.

What do you recommend instead?

Not that user, but Paris Review and New Yorker are the only respectable literary publications imo

Fail.

Paris Review, Tin House, Michigan Quarterly, Black Warrior Review, n+1

The New Yorker's taste in fiction is dull and pretty much always chosen to help promote someone who's already well known or highly touted by some agent or publisher. It's not always bad but it's probably the most establishment publication in existence. The rest of the magazine may as well be the Democratic party's version of Pravda. N+1 in particular touches on the same political issues but with MUCH more interesting commentary.

I honestly feel like the New Yorker, from the ads to the poetry, is designed to help middle class east coasters feel like they're part of a higher tier of society and more clever than they really are. It's fun at first but gets formulaic and tiresome.

only respectable = only famous

well if it isn't famous it probably isn't publishing the top contemporary authors.. and the competition to be published isnt as strong.. so yeah i wouldnt read some obscure hipster ass publication

top contemporary authors = most famous contemporary authors

Fixed that for you, again.

How is new york review of books?

The competition to be published in any of the top 20 or so lit mags is insanely high. Like, less than 1% get in. They get thousands of submissions for every acceptance. What makes the New Yorker even harder is that almost all their stories are solicited, so their slush pile is a formality.

Oxford American is my favorite. Booth gets honorable mention.

New York Review of Books is generally a bunch of praise for famous intellectual authors, and meanspirited reviews panning books from recent MFA graduates. Overall, it's pretty good.

>Tin House
Fucking lying shits. They claim on their site they have crosswords in each issue, BUT THEY FUCKING DON'T.

They're based in Portland. It's probably supposed to be ironic.

lit mags are just pretenders to the throne of great american writers who died out long ago and the great publications like the atlantic monthly

Hope you all got your Sovremennik in the mail today, really looking forward to gogols dead souls part 2!

I've been wanting to read that for a while but it's quite obscure.

does anyone read lit magazines who isnt interested in being published?

yeah fuck off user, mcsweeneys is cool

basically no, with the exception of maybe a handful of the most popular mags. aside from the commercial ones (new yorker, esquire/playboy fiction issues) the highest circulations are probably about 20,000.

Twenty thousand is more readers than most literary fiction novels get, even from major publishers.

Don't be stupid, user. Veeky Forums only reads outdated classics, in order to support the delusion that we're better than all the contemporaries around us.

Chtenia is super patrician, just for the sake of getting lots of russian publications which may not be translated yet or are somewhat more rare.

Recommend it.

Tin House translated some previously unpublished Chekhov recently.