What does Veeky Forums think of:

Finance
Accounting
Marketing
Human Resources
Operations Mamagement
Public Relations

areas of study in general?

I've always had the impression that accounting is something that sucks the soul and life out of you

only accounting is a legit undergrad major - maybe finance depending on the program
undergrad finance seems odd
the rest can be done with any type of degree, preferably from a good school

my friend did accounting at usc and came out making good money; now works in tv in nyc
even people that go to cal poly pomona do alright for themselves

It does. And it's boring as shit.

You mean quantitative finance or applied finance?

those should be grad degrees
few people are going to let you handle real money until you have a proven record in business,unless you went to harvard/yale
otherwise they sound like c++/matlab specific code monkey jobs

just do quant breh

Should be graduate degrees?

That's it?

id rather put my hand in boiling water

Which major of boiling water?

>Finance

I see and work with people in finance so I need to understand what they do. In all honestly it all seems pretty trivial and my job is literally to make it even more trivial by making and supporting software tools for whatever need they have.

>Accounting
One of the projects I manage is all about accounting. Holy fuck would it be boring to be the one using it instead of developing it.

>Marketing
Psychology tier pseudo science that somehow just werks. However, that is not a surprise when their theory is literally: have a famous person say they like your product, now everyone likes your product. Pretty trivial desu.

>Human Resources
This is obviously shit but companies need them. There will always be jobs but it is a case of 'You will never go big by becoming the best human resources person in the world'. It is pretty much a pointless career.

>Operations Mamagement
Sounds like a meme.

>Public Relations
Is literally a meme.

Someone should tell marketers that user figured out the solution to their multibillion dollar industry.

He was obviously mocking the field, however, his suggestion IS something that marketers do, so you are making yourself look rather foolish to suggest otherwise.

>Figured out the secrets
Which is?

>Detail response.
Thank you so much user.

>Finance
How is it trivial? I hear a lot of people say that but I don't exactly understand.

>Accounting
It is boring but what do you think about it as a field. Is it useless?

>Marketing
True but how did the person get famous? Many products are advertised without endorsements, although Endorsing is becoming the norm.

>HR
Shit how?

>OM
It's not a meme, it's basically Management with some mathematics thrown in.

>How is it trivial? I hear a lot of people say that but I don't exactly understand.

Finance is simple, it is just not being retarded. We all, in some level, have to manage our own personal finance and I think we can all say that it is not rocket science. We are not re-reading 'The fundamental theorem of interuniversal n-dimensional finance" every month to try to grasp it.

Corporate finance is the same except with more moving parts and usually more money involved.

My point is that the kind of 'intelligence' you need to be good at finance is not the same kind of 'intelligence' you need to do mathematics or physics.

t. math BSc.

>what do you think about it as a field. Is it useless?

It is there because it has to be done. Similar to HR, every company will want (and actually need) an accountant but you cannot become someone succesful by being 'the best accountant in the world'.

>but how did the person get famous?

By either having talent or by having a billionaire corporation behind their backs selling the idea that if you are cool you have to like this person.

>Many products are advertised without endorsements

True but it is still nothing special. However, I am sure there are actual people talented in marketing and as someone who recognizes bad commercials I can admit that there is some thought behind this. But again, this is not the same kind of thought process you need for mathematics.

>Shit how?
If you mean how is it a pointless career then I mean that no one is happy by being HR. No one is passionate about hiring other people who will likely earn more than you do.

>Finance
Getting paid to guess

>Accounting
Getting paid to count. And then count again.

>Marketing
This can be fun, my gf did experiential marketing which was marketing through promotional events. The closer marketing gets to advertising, the worse it is.

>Human Resources
No HR managers have an HR degree, the uni offering it is just hoping someone will be dumb enough to do it

Im too lazy to go on

>Finance
Literally engineers who can't into engineering, so they do basic bitch arithmetic instead

>Accounting
Calculators and excel do all the real work, glorified data entry job

>Marketing
How many times do you actually see an ad and think it's not a cheesy piece of shit that's wasting your time?
There's a good reason for this, nobody with a decent imagination would actually lower themselves to work in advertising, it's bottom of the barrel for creativity.

>Human Resources
Almost anyone can do it, and yet it's the most non-automatable job in this list. Better than stacking shelves, but ultimately you are a secretary.

>Operations Management
M E M E
E
M
E

>Public Relations
Do you really want to spend your life replying to strangers tweets and pretending to care about their issues with your company?

This is a really great practical "what do I do after college" question. These are the core areas of management in any large business. Kudos for asking it.

>Finance
Finance is about efficient use of capital. Where is my money best spent. In my opinion its more important than any other aspect of a business (including profitability). Finance is all about do I buy that machine I need in cash or get a loan, Is it more efficient to pay excess capital in a divided to shareholder or retain for for future projects, what is the most tax efficient use of capital.

>Accounting
Accounting is just a profitability metric. It ignores finance aspect and simply reports a non-time valued of capital analysis of inputs (resources) vs. outputs. Resources are amortized over a lifetime of the resource. Example if a machine is expected to last 10 years its' acquisition cost is spread over 10 years in the financials. Bottom line accounting is a reporting animal and should not be taken at face value without understanding what is underlying the numbers. EBITDA is a better metric.

>Marketing
Marketing sells products. It should not be discounted. But it is not that difficult a job so not as valuable as finance of accounting.

>Human Resources. Many companies discount HR. However if your people are not happy your results suffer One of my clients, the CEO's #2 man is his CHR. His company is vastly profitable and non-union. Mainly because he puts such important in the people who do the job.

Operations Management
Probably important in a logistics company or line manufacturing. (UPS or General Motors) Otherwise not that important.

>Public Relations
No comment. Public relations is a 3 person outfit at best,

Thank you for responding again.

My questions were from a professional and academic standpoint.

>Guess.
Guess? With preppies hard earned money?

>Worse
Worse as in career oppurtunities or job duties?

Thanks for responding.

>Can't engineer
Makes sense but I really don't understand mathematics in finance myself. It's like the easiest formulas randomly thrown together.

>Data entry job
Are you sure about that. What did you major in?

Thank you, this was helpful.

This is so funny.

Actually OP, Finance can be very difficult.

What about stats? I've heard stats are to math as biology is to real science desu

>stats are to math as biology is to real science desu

you got that right buddy

Yes of course endorsements are part of marketing. But to glibly assert that's all that goes into it is asinine. So many other variables to consider, which is why data science and neuromarketing are becoming essential to market research.

This analogy works only because A is a subset of B in both cases.

What is neuromarketing.

M E M E S
E
M
E
S

market research that uses neuroscientific methods.

I know I'm right but thanks for showing your support

I always have this image that studying bussinese is just preparing people to be companies slaves.

Not really, it's training people to think they are qualified to have high-up positions in companies, when they have zero practical knowledge and nothing to actually offer the company in return for their salaries
They end up working in marketing or whatever deadend sector the company currently has too many vacancies in.
They also generally think that their job is to organise other people who tell them how to do their jobs, and end up doing absolutely nothing at all themselves.

They are often the most self-entitled people you will ever meet.

At least if a doctor or a lawyer is smug about their degree, they actually have something to show for it.

Applied Nueroscience?

>Finance
The electrical engineering of economics

>Accounting
The mechanical engineering of economics

>Marketing
No idea, I'm tempted to mock it but the industry moves a lot of money

>Human Resources
kek

>Operations Mamagement
Actually useful but I don't know what the pay is

>Public Relations
No idea

>Electrical Engineering of Finance

You say that but many(including here) are saying it's not a difficult field.

Chemical Engineering is Marketing