Why didn't you like the Catcher in the Rye? The consensus on Veeky Forums (it appears) is that its shit

Why didn't you like the Catcher in the Rye? The consensus on Veeky Forums (it appears) is that its shit.

I thought it was alright. I also read it when I was 15.

Because it was a bad novel.

It's the archetypal YA novel, it singlehandedly killed literature.

I read it again lately and I enjoyed it a lot, something about Holden's narrative is just really fun to read even if it is a little edgy.

When you consider its suppose to be from the perspective of a troubled teenager it's a great book unfortunately I think a lot of Veeky Forums is troubled teenagers or in their early 20s and people tend to hate those who make the same mistakes they do, basically people just cringing at themselves really

Care to elaborate?

I've a huge aversion to prose that tries to emulate the teenage consciousness and thinking process. Maybe because when I read it a few years ago I was trying to distance myself from Holden who I saw had the personality traits of everything wrong with me

Veeky Forums can't into irony

i like this

No, that's the consensus of r/bookers who have only read what was forced on them in highschool. Men of taste know it's a masterpiece.

Protip: you shouldn't read it until you're at least 19. You're not meant to be too close to the protagonist. This isn't YA -- just because a protagonist is young doesn't mean the story is proper for that age group.

Well then former user is right. Good job.

It's great. Franny and Zooey is better though.

What was great about it? What aspect was even above average?

But I do like it. Shitposters will shitpost.

I think you should read it twice in your life when your Holden's age, its relatable and when your a fully developed adult, it's reminiscent

Because it's 2016.

>Also, I would like to see equal attention given to the sexism in popular work by men, from Nicholas Sparks to for instance J. D. Salinger. Catcher in the Rye—although I like it very much—is profoundly and disturbingly misogynistic and yet seems to get a critical pass both online and off. This happens a lot, I think, with books by men, and I don't want male writers (including me!) to get that pass."

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I liked it.
Read it at 30 or 31.

psychology, themes, symbolism, masterful use of first-person

of course there's nothing I could say that's going to make someone who doesn't like it, like it. that's okay. there are plenty of classics i think are either hugely overrated or outright bad. everyone has their own tastes playa

I thought it was alright. I think the problem a lot of people here have with it has to do with the fact that it accurately depicts the teenage angst and resentment that most people on this board have lived with, but are ashamed of. I suppose if you build your life around wanting to be 'adult' (and thus wanting to move on from certain feelings and urges one may have had before that adult period), saying "this book is clearly just trying to be edgy and it's a bad attempt to appeal to teenagers" is almost a statement of liberation, rather than a serious critique. Not to say that there's nothing wrong with the book, of course.

I actually liked it FOR the reason that I could really connect with Holden.

Mediocre YA-tier dross.

it bugged me as a teen. but i had the feeling the author knew what he was doing, even then. not a bad book for sure, what the fuck

It's ok. I don't think I enjoy books that I don't know any spoilers and I'm waiting to see the big happening. I was pissed he doesn't say what Holden's parents said or anything, it's lame.

This is actually the reason it makes me like it.

>Catcher in the Rye—although I like it very much—is profoundly and disturbingly misogynistic
>told from the perspective of a troubled teenage boy during the 50s
You don't fucking say.
At least Holden makes a point of not committing culturally acceptable coercive rape. In addition to being unable to dehumanise a prostitute enough to have sex with her. Sounds pretty contextually progressive to me. Not to mention how arguably the most positive and respected figures in his life - Phoebe and Jane - are women.
(Hell, he spends ages dancing with a girl and not once expects it means she wants to fuck him, that's well ahead of most 2016 men).

The entire concept of holding older works to modern standards is already fucking retarded. But not only that, I googled the paragraph and this comment is made in response to criticisms against fucking Twilight. "Bawww, a modern piece of shit created and popularised by a society who should know better by now is unfairly criticised for its crimes against humanity because the creator is a woman, compared to a reasonably self-aware classic that's a product of a very different time! Clearly the only reason people aren't knee-jerk shitting on Catcher is because the creator has a penis, not because it's been around since they were born and no one fucking cares!"
Holy shit, what a massive faggot.

I fucking hate women.

Half way through reading it at the moment, was suggested as a beginners type book to read. Feel like a bunch of the shit has way deeper meaning and is going straight over my head.

Like the few words upper case at the beginning of each chapter.
???
The fact that he is always taking his red hunting hat on and off.
???
The constant use of the word 'boy.'
?Maybe just trying to reiterate to the reader that he is young
The fact he's always thinking about doing something, considering doing something but always finds an excuse to not do it.
?Bit of social commentary about young people maybe? Always a lot of talk, not a lot of action, but always a lot of excuses - I certainly do this more than I should

I'm hoping that some of the more cryptic things will come a bit more evident as I read the rest so pls don't spoil anything too much for me.

males are boring

It's shit

Lit has an edgy patrician rebellious attitude toward popular books. Their hatred for their 10th grade english teacher doesn't help.

Veeky Forums loves Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, LOTR--popular fantasy

opinion obliterated.

Do they really? They all need to be gassed.

I think a lot of people were turned off from it by the rape scene. It was pretty graphic and it came out of nowhere.

>these fucking plebs will read game of thrones but not the works of salinger

fuck this miserable shitworld i s2g

GoT > Catcher in the Rye

source: i'm a patrician

yeah but how about seymour: an introduction, you fucking shitbeak

And he wonders why people call him a cuck. Jeez.
I'm starting to believe he says this kind of shit because he knows his buyers are mostly Tumblr bloggers.

I think most of it is just the way they talked back then and there.
Took me three chapters reading Kerouac to remember when he was published.

Speak for yourself, you peon.

Holden raping Phoebe kinda alienated me.

>The fact he's always thinking about doing something, considering doing something but always finds an excuse to not do it.
just his personality

holden was a wannabe child molester who wanted to rape children in the rye (c) yahoo answers