Chinese government building massive underwater base 9,800 feet deep

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-07/china-pushes-plan-for-oceanic-space-station-in-south-china-sea

Reportedly the prototype/initial base will support 12 men. Then it will either be expanded or replaced so that it can support 33 men. It wil lbe nuclear powered and, contrary to earlier reports it will be a fixed seafloor habitat rather than a mobile submarine.

The official story is that the base is meant to facilitate deep sea mining. Aren't there cheaper ways to do this, like operating tethered robots from a boat? Could there be some other use for a structure of this type that they're not being open about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OyJC279w4GM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A space cannon perhaps?

>Aren't there cheaper ways to do this

I've no idea. I'd imagine there would be, but this might be more about some show of economic and technological might. A bit like the US did with the space race.

Eh, yes, ROVs might be simpler, but you could say that about space, too. This is a potential propaganda coup for them, rather than playing "space oneupsmanship" and trying to beat us to Mars, perhaps they hope to be the first to get people waaaay down there, instead.

You may be right. The only American undersea lab is kind of pitiful. Pic related, that's the entire thing, and it's only 63 feet deep.

We've been so focused on Mars that China could come out of left field with this ambitious deep sea shit and surpass us. They can't afford to surpass us in space, but nobody's doing really cutting edge deep sea shit these days.

>oceanic space station
what

Journalists don't know the term "underwater habitat" is a thing

I miss hampture guy.

Every board on Veeky Forums used to have its own set of cool regulars. One by one they were driven off by an influx of obnoxious normies.

There is still bunker bro (who owns an actual legit underground nuclear survival bunker inside a mountain) over on DIY but I am terrified some asshole will dox him or drive him off. Sometimes I hate this community.

>nobody reports on all the habitats that exist
>China does it better and people freak out because it's China

>We've been so focused on Mars that China could come out of left field with this ambitious deep sea shit and surpass us.
Woah no the fucking sea race! We're gonna lose to china guys! We've been too focused on FUCKING SPACE, china's gonna win!
*China has won a technological victory*
>Thank you for playing Sid Meier's Civilization.

>perhaps they hope to be the first to get people waaaay down there, instead.
Except Mario the NYC mafia crime lord has had his hits sleeping with the fishes for decades now boss

china is retarded

A sea race would be rad IMO

Is it wrong to miss Aether ?
It feels wrong of course, but is it ?
That's just the nostalgy talking i know, but still, he was way better* than, for example, the gorilla poster.

*less mediocre, at least. More entertaining.

>We
>China is
>USA is
Please don't spread that stupid /int/ retardness.

Don't you know how do politics work?

All 1 of them? There's only one actual underwater lab in the world I know about.

Read Sun Tzu.

>my (((professor))) told me that race don't exist and instinct are a social construct
>so let's open borders lol we're all the same, embrace diversity !

I think i'll root for east asians, and put my money where my mouth is and emigrate there.
Even if we somehow slaughter the jews and subhumans, knowing you wouldn't be part of the cull is just disgusting.

>and put my money where my mouth is and emigrate there.
solly we don't want ru here, fucking white peopor stay in your country prease.

It's not up to you ching chong, i'm going to learn your language, become a citizen of your country and hopefully tie my bloodline to your people by stealing one of your woman ( don't worry, she'll probably be ugly ).

And you will do nothing you yellow faggot.
You will take me and you will do nothing while i vote for nationalist parties and encourage even more xenophobia in your country in my immediate entourage to ensure in my small way your nation's future.

Fuck you you slanty bastard.

illuminati confirmed

if you think you can become a citizen, you clearly know nothing :')

stay mad cumskin.

I said citizen, as in get the piece of paper saying "you a citizen of ching chong land ROROROROR", i didn't say i'd become an asian.
This isn't tumblr m8, there's no transasians here, genetics are actually accepted here.

You're insane if you want to get a Chinese citizenship, you do realize they force you to renounce every other citizenship right?

You'll forever be the target of their government spying agencies and you'll be first in line if something gets screwed up

This is Veeky Forums, why would you assume China ?
And of course i know that Japan require renouncing any other citizenship, the reason i'm quitting on the west is i have enough of all you traitors, why would i want to become one myself by keeping a dual citizenship ?

You think i'm a juden or some shit like that ?

As for being spied on, well, at least it'd mean the intelligence community do their fucking job and monitor fucking threats, and since i'd be a foreign of course i'm a potential threat.
( Just hope they won't probe my anus. That's what asians do right ? Saw it in a cartoon )

>This is Veeky Forums, why would you assume China ?
Because there original post mentioned China and you latter said: "get the piece of paper saying "you a citizen of ching chong land ROROROROR"" so I thought it was implied, glad it isn't.

And idk, places like Japan aren't bad, I wouldn't mind living there but it would have to be somewhere like Sapporo, not Tokyo, and I'd have to bring a white wife with me.

The Art of War?
>all that unrelated implications
Look at all that trash and ERP written.

Fucking cumskin brainlets.
>frogshit
even worse

Yeah yeah you a good goy we get it enough with the virtue signaling already you cockmuncher.

Well considering i want to live in a rural area and japanese in rural areas are racist as fuck apparently, it ain't going to be a walk in the park and i already budgeted the need to move up to three times.

But fuck me sideway with spiked strap-on if i stay in the west, FUCK THAT SHIT

If you want decently civilized rural areas but not in the "West" I also have to recommend southern Chile or Argentina, consider those too.

Fucking underages

I considered patagonia tbf
But nah, that area is already in the process of subhumanisation as reflected in the recent political shifts.
Nah, the only country that'll stay human is Japan past this century.
China too maybe ( if you consider them human to begin with :^) ) but the land is too fucked up and the society even more fucked up.

Besides, easy access to big cities is really convenient, if not there'd also be the middle of Australia.
Bet that shit is cozy, though probably expensive as fuck since everything need to be transported just for your lonesome self.

There are cheaper ways, but this is all part of a territorial dispute. Frankly this is scary as fuck. It is arguable that these islands do not in fact belong to China and that China invading them. Regardless, the militarization of the South China Sea is not good.

SOMA when

Hampture was on /diy/ too. Bunker bro does the right thing and rarely posts and doesn't comment opinons on anything other than specifically what he's doing. He's a bit like Tepache from Veeky Forums-/diy/ Homebrewmen, who doesn't post anymore. Some deserve to be run off like, Mr X on /diy/.

You're right, the community doesn't take kindly to focal points.

All though 1980s horror movies will come true.

They jus china live under the sea nigga

Asstonut training

They plan for a nuclear world war.

Chinese communism: doing the job private industry and Elon Musk can't.

youtube.com/watch?v=OyJC279w4GM

>communism
nice try

There is no singular, united force on Earth as powerful as the Chink government.

Maybe the Wyoming supervolcano, but that's it.