Why do we hear the sound waves and see the luminiferous aether waves and not vice-versa

Why do we hear the sound waves and see the luminiferous aether waves and not vice-versa.
Do we able to see sound waves if we attach an ear to the optic nerve?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_substitution
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why can you see things that you remember with your eyes closed?

>will you be able to see sound waves if you plug a microphone into a monitor input

Because excitation from other sources stimulate those parts of the brain.

Bam! Solved.

Because sound is moving molecules so you grew little careful fingers to touch a drum that feels it move

Your eyes are a grid space of molecules that change shape when they get enough energy, and send info to your cortex over which coordinate was activated, and since there's 3 colors (rgb) and 2 states per coordinate (changing or staying the same) you can build a map of which colors are moving where

Your cortex takes the ear information and helps translate it into pressure (how IN our OUT your eardrum is pressed)

I am sleepy

You would hear the drum in the ear be pressed further in when more light is shown, because it opens up sodium channels in the cells

>the luminiferous aether waves
The 17th century called, they want their concepts back.

What's this

I'm not asking about particular processes. How is it that one type of waves we perceive as images and the other type as sounds. For brain it's just the same neuron signals.

>For brain it's just the same neuron signals.
No it's not. They also get processed completely differently in different area of the brain.

>How is it that one type of waves we perceive as images and the other type as sounds.

Different instruments create different input signals. Eyes and ears function on different mechanical principles, that's why they create different sensations. The fact that both light and sound are waves is irrelevant.

The brain has two distinct processing methods to make sense of these two input signals, you can't just hook up one of them into the other. You would only receive wild static, since your brain wouldn't know how to make sense of the incoming data.

>> luminiferous aether

Nigga do you even Michelson and Morley?

Not necessarily

Mescaline has a funny way of blending input from sensory organs (ie: Seeing a particular colour from certain sounds, hearing different sounds when seeing colours).

Being convinced you smell ammonia from looking at a lime green blanket can be a weird experience.

>Do we able to see sound waves if we attach an ear to the optic nerve?

Only one way to find out!

They're not the same waves, light is an electromagnetic wave and sound is mechanical.

So the eyes detect color, light intensity and the like; and ears detect vibrations on the atmosphere.

how is an electromagnetic wave in the EM field different from a mechanical wave acting on nearly massless particles?

My hypothesis would be that this happens on a higher cognitive level than the actual translation of signals. Some sort of interference between the brain parts that create usable images out of the different sensory sensations with the help of memorized stimuli. You do not actually smell limes after all, the brain just thinks you should based on experience. It tries to fill holes that don't exist.

Synesthesia.

>The brain has two distinct processing methods to make sense of these two input signals, you can't just hook up one of them into the other. You would only receive wild static, since your brain wouldn't know how to make sense of the incoming data.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_substitution

you'd need multiple finely constructed tympanic membranes and inner ears in order to see sound, conversely hearing light would require an ear-like photoreceptor that used the shade provided by the contouring to create directional distinguishing with a less complex photoreceptor array

and I have no idea how mammalian echolocation works outside of the abstract, so I can't dissect that and postulate what a proper auditory eyeball would look like, but with an uneducated guess, I'd say it'd resemble the ear drum but with many microscopically differentiated tympanic cells instead of a single drum, a best guess visual ear drum would probably be something like a recessed optic pit and surface photorecptors as seen in simpler life forms

Light waves travels through imaginary math fields is a nice idea and all, but I'm materialist. Sorry guys.

Do you even special relativity?

You can. Though that's called synesthesia.

>that's called synesthesia
I don't believe this. People just pretending