Halp plz

yo Veeky Forums

This giant squash fell off a vine that was hanging over the fence from my neighbor's yard. He said I could keep it, but I'm not really sure how to cook this beast. Fucker probably weighs about 10 lbs.

Any ideas? Slice her open and oven roast it?

Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-012836x.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrow_(vegetable)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hmmm, Normally I'd agree about the roasting in the oven part but that giant bitch looks like it's too large to fit in a typical oven.

I'd rather avoid cutting it up before roasting it because then it will lose too much moisture. If it doesn't fit in your oven then try grilling it.

You don't have to do the whole thing at once.

Even after some exposed flesh grows blue mold you can just cut those bits off and observe good flesh underneath.

Make soup out of it and probably strain the hunks out. I bet it's fibrous.

Problem is that looks like a really overgrown zucchini, not a winter squash. Since it is so overgrown it'll probably be fibrous, tough and flavorless.

Isn't that just a marrow?

You could stuff it with beef and tomato, but make it really strongly spiced because those things can be kinda bland.

That is a fuck off huge squash though, maybe you should pickle some of it. You could gift a jar back to your neighbour.

whatever you do, stay awake bro

That's definitely a marrow.
Utterly disgusting.

Pickle it?

Yeah but a marrow is an overgrown zucchini. Not particularly palatable (evidence for which: it's popular in Britain).

OP here. Thanks for identifying this as a marrow squash.

I'm thinking about giving this recipe a try:

cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-012836x.html

Sausage Stuffed Baked Marrow

1 large marrow, about 1.4 kg (3 lb)
50 g (2 oz) butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500 g (1 lb) pork sausage-meat
30 - 60 ml (2 - 4 tbsp) tomato puree
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
30 ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped fresh basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g (2 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated

I'm Brit and love stuffed marrow. Give it a start baking on its own with a good sprinkle of salt and oil and then fill with minced lamb with shawarma spicing, pine nuts and spinach. Finish off with some feta on top under a grill

You can also cut it in half lengthways to get a bit of a crunchy top.

>overgrown

You mean fully grown.

>You mean fully grown

Not in my world and I grow my own zucchini.

Well, you're wrong then.

Ok then

I took bits and pieces of the advice from anons here, and went with the sausage stuffed marrow mentioned earlier. I doubled up on basically everything in the recipe, and added a couple habaneros from my garden for some heat.

I am somewhat nervous about eating this, after reading the wikipedia page on marrows / courgettes:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrow_(vegetable)

>Members of the plant family Cucurbitacea, which includes zucchini/marrows, pumpkins and cucumbers, can contain toxins called cucurbitacins. These are chemically classified as steroids; they defend the plants from predators, and have a bitter taste to humans. Cultivated cucurbitaceae are bred for low levels of the toxin and are safe to eat. However, ornamental pumpkins can have high levels of cucurbitacins, and such ornamental plants can cross-fertilise edible cucurbitaceae – any such cross-fertilised seeds used by the gardener for growing food in the following season can therefore potentially produce bitter and toxic fruit. Also, dry weather conditions/irregular watering can stress the plant and favour the production of the toxin. The toxin is not destroyed by cooking. People with an impaired sense of taste (particularly among the elderly) should therefore ask a younger person to taste the zucchini for them.

>In August 2015, a 79-year-old German man and his wife ate a marrow grown by a neighbour. The couple noted the unusually bitter taste. Shortly afterwards they were both admitted to Heidenheim hospital, apparently with symptoms of a gastrointestinal infection. The wife, who had eaten a smaller portion, survived, while the man died. Toxicological analysis of the meal confirmed the presence of cucurbitacin.

How long has your neighbor been growing these things? If he knows what he's doing he hasn't given you a toxic squash.

I have been living at this place for 3 years, and I've definitely seen these growing for at least 2 seasons.

fuck that just stimulate your prostate with it

Wa la. Bretty good.

Stuffed marrow and a glass of homebrew shiraz

H-how did I do bros? Britbongs, please rate my marrow.

Thx for all the advice. I saved the neck of the marrow, and I'm going to try and pickle it to see what that's like.

That looks pretty good, bro!

You posted updates and everything, I'm sorry this didn't get more traction

Damn, I remember coming to 2011 Veeky Forums all the time and it was the best board on here. Everyone's just having a good time making good food.

Keep up the good work.

Agreed, interesting how this little thread is among the best on Veeky Forums right now.

The board should be filled with threads like this

OP delivered

ncie

MAKE Veeky Forums GREAT AGAIN
by not being a dick unless someone really was a fucking dumbass and ruined some nice cut or whatever.

Encourage people to cook. It's a great skill to have.

Ok tumblr

Thanks!

I have to say that I was surprised by how it turned out. user who suggested slicing it in half lengthwise was spot on. The crunchy top was delicious, sort of like a lasagna.

The marrow was only a bit stringy around the outside, where it was closest to the skin that I peeled off. Other than that, I had no issues cutting or chewing it. It had a mild squashy taste, but seemed to pick up the flavours of the filling. Would try again.

Molds and the like are a fungi: if you are capable of observing it with the naked eye then the mycelium has already spread throughout the item.

fuck off nigger.

I cant cook for shit but this was onteresting to follow up on

Good thread m8

I had that happen once with a pumpkin, it was fucking horrific. You'd have to be almost tongue-dead to eat more than a minuscule amount, it's like licking the inside of a crack pipe.

Whatever you do, first stick it between your legs and take plenty of pictures for your various social media accounts. It's a perfect squash for that sort of thing.

I'd've shredded it and made zucchini bread.

I think once you get to that size it's a bit too watery to work in bread.

Wow op really came through.