Has anyone here gone to community college and then transferred to university for their science/engineering degree...

Has anyone here gone to community college and then transferred to university for their science/engineering degree? It seems like you would be at a huge disadvantage compared to the guys that started at the university in terms of connections, internships, GPA-padding etc...

I ask this because I'm debating going to an average university directly or starting at a community college that has a transfer program with a good university.

Other urls found in this thread:

cpp.edu/~ece/program/CPE_15-16.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I didnt, and dont understand what you mean by gpa paddling. But i know people who did and they had the advantage of lower costs.

Your GPA almost never transfers with you because the classes in community college are much easier. If you fuck up once, you don't have those two years of padding to save you.

OP, I did research for my university on exactly this. We found after multivariate stats that you shouldn't take any science or engineering classes at community college if you want to succeed.

50% of people entering college of science from CC failed out of it. 70% for college of engineering.

So take your core classes at CC, Dave yourself for the science and engineering classes. AMA.

Woah, so it's definitely much harder then. That seems pretty stupid.

When you say multivariate stats are you referring to calc 3? Does this mean avoid linear alg and differential equations?

It really depends on the community college. The one that I attended had a fantastic math department and a really great physics professor. Me and my older brother both went to the Comm college for two years and were very well prepared for University engineering.

>50% of people entering college of science from CC failed out of it. 70% for college of engineering.

you're saying that people who go to community college in a science or engineering transfer program, do their two years, and finally transfer, have a 50% and 70% chance of failing out of the university because the challenge was too great once they arrived?

maybe I should just go to some average university and not bother with trying for a really good university via community college, then. I'd be happier staying in one place and meeting people from freshman year on, anyway. I really don't like the idea of going to a community college, and then leaving to then know zero professors or kids, and i'm all alone at this nice university, just because I decided to go to community college first. Fuck that.

UCSB here (College of Engineering CS)

REALLY COST EFFECTIVE
CCs are aight if you don't care about "muh college experience"
Sure it's a level harder but nothing thats not manageable once you make it this far,
Yes, your GPA resets, which means just try harder honestly. It's really not that hard if you're motivated, and considering one quarter costs more than the 3 years I was at CC, money is a good motivator

Can't speak for other engineering majors.

I'll be doing just that in the Fall. I went to a CC and will be going to Cal Poly Pomona. Hopefully the transition isn't that big of a disadvantage.

>70% for college of engineering.

Shit. I'm going in as a computer engineer major. Do you consider the Math classes as engineering classes or no? I finished up to differential equations.Here's my major curriculum.

cpp.edu/~ece/program/CPE_15-16.pdf

I'll be taking the required core courses and elective core courses at CPP. None of those classes were even offered at my CC and if they were they did not even transfer to my university. Fuck.

also honestly lowerdivs and GEs and a university blow cock and I know a couple people who went and regretted it.

Yep pretty fucked up. Highest chance of success is not to take your majors classes at CC.
No, as in not univariate statistics.

Give me a sec. At the mall with gf. I can answer everything with time. Luckily this is the slow board.

I did this for my biomedical engineering degree aside from the internships and having to take freshman classes in my junior year I don't think it was a bad decision, but yeah I will have to do extra work for internships and shit

Alright I looked at it. So you're at CC now, and have completed up to DFQ? So aren't you done with the math?

Only other math class I see is discrete at the CS despair end, but that class is easy.

>REALLY COST EFFECTIVE
>and considering one quarter costs more than the 3 years I was at CC, money is a good motivator

This. In California, each unit cost 46 dollars. I took 95 credits and spent a total of 4,370 dollars. CSUs in California go for around 6k per year when looking at tuition. UCs are 12K a year for tuition. If you're gonna live in the dorm, that shit rises to 15+k a year.

Dude if you need to save money, do it. CC isn't all that bad as long as you don't take the class for your university major.

As far as internships and connections go, you don't see that until junior or senior year anyways when the classes are smaller and they you're older and more curriculum experience.

>giving a shit about the first two years of university

Protip: You're gonna be taking mostly general education requirements and support courses like Math and Physics. You'll be saving hundreds of dollars at a community college.

no, it's more of my scores being a bit shitty. I can spend some money. I just don't know the differences between crappy schools and good schools.

>all of these guys ITT saying to not take the major classes at CC

Good luck transferring into anywhere decent with only two semesters on you.

I went to a CC for 3 years for Math - we did Calculus out of Spivak, Proved many of the results in Calc I, II, & III along with Linear Algebra & Diff. Eq. There was even a course titled "Intro to Tensor Analysis & Calculus on Manifolds" in which we went through Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds. Also our Discrete Math was more akin to Intro to Abstract Algebra and had a decent Intro to Logic class in the philosopohy department

Not all Community Colleges are bad, look around and see what is offered.

can confirm

The linear algebra class I took at CC went over all the theory and neat stuff like that

the lowerdiv uni equivalent from what I've heard from friends at uni is "calculate these values" or "row reduce" with no reason why, you had to wait till upperdiv to learn why and it's fucking bullshit.

One needs 60 credits to transfer to a university anyway. 60 credits are filled pretty quickly with GE, Math, and Physics. One doesn't even have to touch their core engineering and science classes to hit the 60 credits.

People did it at ours with one semester.

We found the lower number of semesters coming in from CC performed better.

I went to UT math. Not the best, but at least ranked and not some "who?" School.

This should be done for the core classes you'll need for your degree at the university
The quality is always better at Uni. They help build the foundation in your major classes from the bottom to see how it works.

That's two years. What are you doing in that second year, just a bunch of random electives?

I'd rather go directly into an average state school than take my chances making sure I have all of the right classes, transferring over and hoping I can handle the work-load, all of that crap.

only degenerate retards have problems knowing what transfers assist.org motherfucker

Going to a community college first just lowers your options to regional schools.

that's only for California, though. Not sure if other states have a similar website. If it does not then you'll have to talk to your counselor.

>implying
>not talking to your community college counselor where they will guide you on the classes you want for the college you want to transfer
>going to a university out of state
>wanting to pay triple the price for an undergrad degree

It's like you want to be in debt.

if your community college is shit, then your plan doesn't really work out.

>not having the scholarships
Brainlet detected

It's cheaper and sometimes credits will transfer without affecting your GPA.

She looks like that fields medal winner.

I waltzed into my (average state) university waving around my 4.0 from community college, like 'look how smart I am!'. I transferred into the physics program here, and my first semester kicked. my. butt. 2.3 GPA.

I'm recovering somewhat, but just watch out! It's a whole different thing at university.

Her name may be klein but she makes my dick bigger

What if the program you want to transfer into requires calc 3, Diffeq, chem 1, physics 1 & 2 and an "associates equivillence." (60 credits in total).

who is this kosher jolter ?

Seems to me that you are more on your own in university, but community college tries to challenge you more to compensate for not being a four year school.

How prevalent is this? Students with a 4.0 from a CC then transferring only to get their shit kicked in?
I'm asking because in my CC there is a >50% drop out rate for the math and science classes and only 1 or 2 people would manage to get an A. Does that mean I'd survive in a state school or is it still a whole new level?

Thats the norm for any math class beyond calc 1

What I'm wondering is, if I do well in what's statistically a difficult class at a CC, will that carry over to a uni. And I'm not just talking about math classes but also STEM classes.

underrated kek

if you go to one of those top transfer community colleges, they'll be as good as the university. a lot of them have their own dorms and are within like an hour of the university they transfer to.

I started at a CC and I'm a MechE. Transferred to uni for my junior year. Starting my senior year in the fall. Did calc 1-3 and diff eq at CC and also statics, dynamics, CAD, and circuits in addition to all the general eds. All I have left are core engineering classes. Yeah, your GPA doesn't transfer so you don't have that to rely on so remember that. I've received A's and A-'s in every class during my Junior year. If you understand the material during your first two years there shouldn't be any reason you'll struggle after your transfer. Plus you save tons of money.

but what is the reputation of your CC and your university?

Well, starting this fall the university is partnering with the CC to teach junior level classes on campus (it's too bad I'm a year late). It's the same tuition and professors as the university, just in a satellite location. So I guess they have a pretty good rep, and I was part of a transfer program. This is all for ME and EE btw

so it's obviously not some shit-tier CC. that makes the difference.

lol OCC's science and math department are shit unless you take the honors math courses. I did physics and chem at GWC which are notoriously hard. Half of last semester's mechanics class got Fs. I took the combined diffeqs and linear algebra class at OCC; our teacher gave us an in-class and a take-home test. I got 116% on the linear algebra final after scaling because OCC kids can't study apparently. OCC is a nice school with hot girls and a social vibe, but it's also an easy school, like it or not.

I'm scared now because of this thread.

I'm getting ready to go into my second year of CC after summer classes and I don't want to fuck it up when I get to another college.

I go to msjc.edu. How fucked am I if I go to a CSU?

I know a guy who did this and he had problems because the community college didn't teach him certain foundations/basics that he needed.
Basically we worked on a project together and he didn't understand anything that was going on even though everything was covered in classes (at University)

What community college offers analysis on manifolds.

Where was this?

Only poorfags are forced to take community college, nobody actually chooses to go there.

It depends really on who you are and what kind of CC you go to.

To be frank, you will be at a disadvantage for the rest of your academic career by starting at a CC. White tower elitists will shit on you, no matter how good you are (you can already see it in this thread). Its bullshit but its true. But if youre capable of kicking ass and working hard, its always possible to overcome anything.

Myself and two friends in the life sciences transfer track at my community college are now all either done with or finishing up med school at good US MD programs, but we all had to take a bit of time after graduation to work in research or do other relevant things to build our applications. But I made it, and am going to be a physician in short order.

I have a few friends that went on to transfer to good universities as engineering majors, graduated and found solid jobs working in various industries.

Many/most dont make it though, honestly because they were never going to make it anyway.

Do yourself a favor and go to the crappy state school and make the most of it. If you just want a job its literally all about research and internships which simply dont exist at CC.

>tfw 17.5 credit semesters were 300$

This is what I did

pros
cheaper
smaller class sizes
smaller class sizes sometimes translate into more personal help

cons
some things are harder, like calc 1 and 2 were 5 hour, instead of 3 hour per semester
you're not building study groups that you will need further along
uni can become overwhelming with engineering classes, I had semesters with 3 labs because Id already taken my non engineering classes at CC

Yes, and many transferred like I did only to fail out or switch, though I can not comment if it is larger or the same as the number of freshmen engineers that fail or switch to something else when starting at Uni

It doesn't impact getting Co-ops or internships, just make sure the uni has a good co-op program that actively tries to help you, there should be a dedicated department for it

This thread yo'.
Decent in HS: took the ACT once and got a 31, graduated with a 3.7 with a lot of APs.
Decided after 6 years, fuck it- let's go back to school.
Living off family couches and homeless around Cali for a year to gain that sweet residency.
3.7ish after a year of CC.
UC or Bust.

>Living off family couches and homeless around Cali for a year to gain that sweet residency.

I wish I could do this somewhere. It sucks not having any family members.

Damn son.
I had to wait till my mom cleared her meth addiction before I could meet mine.

>Do yourself a favor and go to the crappy state school and make the most of it. If you just want a job its literally all about research and internships which simply dont exist at CC.

who gets one of these worth a shit their first two years of college, anyway?

What do you even know at that point? how to do a lot of algebra and some calc?

OP if you're still here, I think I have a valuable piece of advice for you that hasn't been mentioned here

Many people with science degrees have no idea what they are doing, and come out of their degrees scared shitless because they know that they only passed their classes, but did not actually understand the material and are therefore unemployable. I know this from experience, I've seen it among peers. Passing classes and having a degree doesn't have near as much of a correlation with competence and understanding as most people believe it does.

The notion that people coming from community colleges are disadvantaged because of the teaching quality is flimsy at best. If they do fail more, it's because they don't put in enough effort. Whether you are understanding the material or cheating/memorizing/socializing your way through college, it takes a lot of effort.

If you are motivated to understand the material, community college is not a disadvantage. On the other hand, if you expect that doing only what the professors ask of you is going to result in you understanding the material better than the rest (which is required if you want to actually be competent in your field), you WILL fail, no matter what institution you are attending. Four year universities are also loaded with bad teachers, believe me.

Go above and beyond the curriculum. Have the desire and motivation to be excellent at your craft and you will succeed; it is required for you to do this if you want to be competent in a scientific discipline, anyways. Community college or not, it doesn't matter.

Veeky Forums is your family, user.

well, by end of second year if it's an average university for engineering, you'll have some building blocks. you still won't get a single company trusting you to do anything significant, though. you're basically an executive caffeine consultant in those first/second year internships no matter where you go.

from what I'm reading in this thread it was a good thing I only did core classes and never even touched most of the sci shit. I think I'm going to do my math classes and not even fuck with physics.

This thread sort of scares me. I'm starting UCI in the fall for computer science after doing my first two years at a CC

But UCI makes all CS transfers do THEIR lower div classes anyways, so I'll be relearning everything over there at their pace before I touch upper div. stuff.

Only if the professor is respected at the university you want to transfer.
For example, no one at OHIO state knows how difficult any of the professors were in some CC in Florida. They want to know how prepared YOU are.

did you just do prereqs or did you do all lower division?

I dunno, I go to a community college (a relatively good one) and I have a year long internship right now, and am being published on a paper along with already being published on a poster and in a talk. Although opportunities like these are rare, I now have a solid research background and connections to 2 researchers at the school I am transferring to. For me, I would say it has given me a reasonable advantage, but I could see how it would be to many people's detriment to go to a CC. If you go, it is much easier to stand out and develop good relationships with your instructors, mainly because none of the other students give a shit.

well at least in terms of a life science degree like biology and biochemistry you can volunteer in a research labs almost right away. Dont need calculus to do tissue culture, run gels or do micropipetting.

I did calc 1 & 2, intro to c++, 2nd semester c++, data structures (which is 3rd semester of c++) and java programming.

oh so just prereqs
I've only touched general ed

Hila Klein

I went to a community college for three years while I worked full-time, then transferred to university to finish my BSEE. I probably saved about $20,000 doing it that way. For reference, I graduated with a 3.5 and roughly $30,000 in loans. I work for one of the world's largest defense contractors now.

>intro to c++, 2nd semester c++, data structures (which is 3rd semester of c++) and java programming

WTF? Why are there 2 semesters of C++ and why the fuck did you then do java?

shit school basically

People saying don't take the science core classes are just wrong. I took my biology courses as well as all but one chemistry course at CC and I had no issues after I transfered. I suppose it varies but I have had no problems.

Orange Coast College, in Southern California's Orange County. Pretty close to UCI.

Attended Community College with a near perfect GPA. When I transferred to a University, all this shit started happening at my home with my wife and I, and my first semester went to total shit. Now I have a 1.2 gpa, but if I do good in the two classes I need to re-take then they'll be replaced, effectively giving me a good gpa again.

Needless to say, a lot is riding on this next semester.

This is actually some of the best advice I've heard on Veeky Forums. OP, listen to this guy.

? That is UCI's requirements for almost all the computer involved majors(CS, CE, SE)
The intro to c++ doesn't actually count for UCI, but its a prerequisite for the following C++ that does count. UCI strongly recommends multiple programming languages, and java is used in their program. Go to assist.org and look up any transfer from CC to UCI in california.

And to add, its basically one semester of C++, but a data structures class that is in C++ as well.

I went to community college before transferring to UC San Diego as a Physics Major. I was perfectly prepared for upper division physics classes(I've only gotten A's), but I also only got A's at community college as well. The only difference I've noticed is that the competition is stiffer (everything is graded on a curve), but that might just be because all scum dropped out. Plus from what I've heard, any lab experience you can get before junior year is a waste. Actually the smartest guy I know transferred in and he takes almost exclusively graduate level classes.

Are you a female and possibly a ginger? If so, I want to lick you all over.

What if I'm only one of those, user?

Only if you're a female would I still lick you.

>everything is graded on a curve
what does this mean?

I think I know who you are. Did you take PHYS 130A and PHYS 120 for Spring 2016?

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

what if u get ur associates degree so that they dont weed out certain classes and lower ur gpa.

which uni do you go to? how and where did you find this info? can you link me?

what? it won't lower your GPA when you transfer. When you transfer the schools will only look at your overall transfer GPA + the required classes for your major. You start fresh in uni. At least in california it's done this way.

it means the majority of the class is trash so in order to pass more people, instructors will curve the grade to whatever the highest is. So if the highest grade in the class is a B or so, then people will benefit since the highest percentage is set at that grade.

It comes down to professor discretion though desu. If only a few people are getting A's and the vast majority of teh class is riding that high D/Low C grade, they will probably throw a 2% curve after the final.

Only 2%? No way. That's about home my university would have done it (in a STEM major), but we have some serious grade deflation (like most state schools). Your average college probably puts most averages at B or B-.