Haven't done this in a while, so why not. Bread thread

Haven't done this in a while, so why not. Bread thread.

Here's a loaf I made yesterday. 100% whole wheat, 68% water, 5% molasses, 2.5% salt, 0.2% yeast. Milled the flour fresh from hard red winter wheat berries. Enjoying the new mill a lot. Mixed in walnuts and topped with a mixture of roughly milled rolled oats, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

Feel free to ask any bread questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dUZ0O-Wv0Q
stavvers.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/im-making-sourdough-with-my-vaginal-yeast/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't think that's the way you add up ingredients.

>flax seeds,
Way to ruin it.

When you give these proportions, you're doing it by weight, right?

Baker's percentages. See kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html

I love flax seeds in bread. Big fan.

Yes sir.

Well I'll be damned. Thank you for the civil correction, I'll just tuck this 175% bread joke somewhere else...

How long bake and rise and at what temp? Sorry, bread pleb here.

Baker's percentages made no sense to me when I first started baking by weight. Definitely the most common question I get asked when I post my formulas. Ultimately I think expressing a formula by standard percentages (relative to the whole dough, not just to flour like baker's percentages) would be just as efficient, but common practice is what it is.

That's a tough question to answer. Time is a bad measure for bread baking because of the variability in ambient temperature, ingredient quality, handling, etc. In general, I recommend baking by volume: bulk ferment until double, proof until just under doubled. If it takes 60 minutes to get there, cool. if it takes 8 hours to get there, cool. There are exceptions to these rules, but it will get you started. In regard to the actual baking process, I start the oven at 550F then back it down to 440F as soon as I drop the loaf in the oven. I largely go by crust color to determine when I'm done baking, because by the time it's dark and to my liking the interior is almost certainly done. Particularly large loaves can screw that estimation up, though, so when in doubt use an instant read thermometer and bake lean loaves to 200-205F.

Is the yeast a wild yeast like for sourdough, or a store bought active dry or cake yeast?

>chrook saw numbang

Howdy you filthy, filthy ginger.

It's finally cool enough in my neck of the woods to bake bread after an early summer of daily 38° (101°F) weather since motherfucking May, so I began a new starter last week and plan to bake my first loaf of this winter/autumn season Friday. Just a simple white, crusty loaf. Nothing special.

A Q for U, though: know how some cultures soak glutinous rice in water for a few days or so then blitz them up in the blender with their soaking water to make doughs and batters for like pancakes or flatbreads (like dosa, for example)? Have you heard of anything like that done with wheatcorns rather than rice? I've got lots of wheatcorns and am considering trying to do something like that with them unless you've heard that it doesn't work well.

Instant yeast for this loaf. I just got back from an 8 week business trip and haven't reactivated my sourdough starter yet.

Looks tasty as hell, but I have a question.
Is there a best way to knead bread made with whole wheat?

It's kneaded the same way as bread made using white flour. Are you encountering a particular problem kneading whole wheat bread?

White+yeast on stone with steam.

you answer as i would also like to know

More like FUCK-OFF Flour. You think your god's gift to fucking bread and it makes me sick. You can't even make a decent pizza. Please fucking leave and never come back.

>នំបុ័ង
???

I'll never replicate crust like that in my oven. I've tried using a stone, I've tried a water bath at the bottom of the oven, I tried spraying water into the oven during cooking, I even tried locking the damn thing in a cast iron pot, though that did have the best result of all of them but still not the proper crust.

I just want a proper french bread crust.

I use a normal electric household oven at max, about 250°C. Preheat the stone and water dish. Place dough on stone and water in dish. Lower heat to 180°C after 20 minutes, turn off oven after 40 minutes total, remove from oven after 50-60 minutes total. Visually check the crust without opening the oven to adjust.

And it's not always perfect.

You can definitely mix in softened wheat berries. Not uncommon at all. The famous Danish rugbrod often has whole rye berries in it. Giving them an overnight soak or a few hours steeping in hot water will generally guarantee they cook during the baking process.

Looks awesome.

Good to see you're still fighting the good fight. I'll work on leaving, I promise.

Cambodian for bread.

That's definitely a doable crust in the home oven, with or without a cloche. The key is steam, whether generated through a preheated cast iron pan and boiling water or a cloche, high heat, and not being afraid to let the loaf get dark.

I meant more like soaking the wheatcorns/wheat berries until they're very, very soft then blitzing smooth and adding regular bread flour to make a dough, not leaving them whole. Many flatbreads are made that way, but I wanna try to make a [mostly] wholemeal wheat bread in this manner because I've no mill with which to grind dry wheatcorns into flour.
Any experience with that?

I have never personally done it, but I'm sure it's been done. If you're planning on steeping them in hot water, be aware that they will lose a lot of their "wheat" properties in bread. Give it a shot and report back!

did you not proof at all? I have never seen a 68% hydration bread with such dense crumb

Not him, but pretty sure 100% wholemeal breads just can't get open crumb because the fibre gets in the way of the gluten forming the long chains necessary to trap air bubbles.

Whole grain flour rises fine. When the grain is not ground finely but soaked it's another story, see Pumpernickel.

dumb question: what part of the flour causes it to be so sticky? is it the gluten? would gluten-free flour mixes be easier to work with?

After discovering pita, flatbread, tortilla and all the variations I don't even want to bake normal bread. Flatbreads are easiest and can be done stovetop, my oven is shitty.

We're talking about open crumb v dense crumb and not just risen bread, right? That's what the impression I got was so that's how I responded. I mean, risen bread can still have a dense-looking crumb.
See, every single time I've made wholemeal bread or even just partially wholemeal (like pic related: enriched honey-oat bread 40% oat flour, 10% VWG, 50% bread flour, yielding 14% gluten-protein content total), it's always nicely risen and has a few air bubbles, but nowhere near as many nor as large as when I make a plain white bread.
>pic related was made free-hand and without a loaf pan or brotform, by the way

Are you from Myanmar?

>khmer is now bamar because reasons

that's 175.7%. how'd you break the laws of math with a loaf of bread?

I'm sorry, I mixed the two countries up.
OP, are you Khmer/Cambidian?

Unless you're literally celiac, there is no reason to go with gluten-free.

The starch makes it sticky. The kneading process transforms the starch into gluten, which is rubbery. Which means, if your dough is still sticky and goopy, you need to keep kneading.

He's a freckly ginger IE no.

Excluding rye bread since rye does not form gluten no matter how long you knead it.

So rye flour wouldn't be sticky?

I really like making bread, just hate the cleanup.

Oh please. You have to clean a square yard of counter top, a bowl, and a scraper. Regardless of how you feel about it, it clearly isn't an imposition. If it takes more than 2 minutes then you are doing something wrong.

What does OP's equipment cost? You've inspired me

There are some things you can buy, but for starters and oven, a counter, flour, salt, and yeast will do.

If you start spending money, get a stone for your oven. A mat is nice. Eventually couche and banneton can become relevant. But that's not for everyone.

Really all you need to make bread is the same stuff you need to make pizza.

So... nothing?

Understood. I guess I always associated bread making with special appliances like mixers and bread machines. Grandma had that shit.

That loaf was a 100% coarsely milled whole wheat flour bread. It doubled during proofing.

Please see It is a mixture of flour type, stage of gluten development, and hydration.

In all fairness I only have a red beard. No red hair or freckles. I'm only partially soulless.

I've spent too much money on equipment. I have a flour mill, a commercial mixer, a wood fire oven, and more various bread toys than I'd care to admit. The truth of the matter is that you can make excellent bread at home with little more than the ingredients, an oven, and a sheet pan.

>forgetting what FF really stands for
freckly forearms

I'll take it.

Decided I wanted to do something sweet but leavened with yeast. Put this together last night:

100% flour
40% whole milk
20% egg yolk
5% butter
2.5% salt
1.0% yeast
+ handful of chocolate chips

Let it bulk ferment overnight then baked this morning at 325F until internal temp was ~185F. They're killer.

Oh, forgot an important part of that recipe. There was also 15% white sugar.

Are flax seeds a meme?

Add syrup to the pan and let it soak.
Add frosting on top.

Anybody have a link that video of the spanish woman folding bread? Trying to show it to a friend. She says "fat fingers" instead of thumbs and the video was in spanish with subtitles

Nevermind found it
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dUZ0O-Wv0Q

Mein brot. 50% whole wheat 50% white bread flour, 60% water, didn't bother to measure the yeast or salt by weight.
It's okay. Crust could be better.

Randy, I am the meme.

Nice thought. Didn't want them to wind up being too sweet. They turned out great.

Great video of the slap and fold technique. Dedos gordos (aka fat fingers) is how you say thumbs in Spanish.

Looks awesome.

Decided to make some crappy cafeteria-style pizza for a family get together today. Here's the formula:

100% bread flour
55% water
10% extra virgin olive oil
2.7% salt
0.5% yeast

Should make a soft, fluffy crust that's more cakey than it is open and rubbery. Usually winds up pretty tasty.

Picture also features my proofing container.

Is making your own bread a good poorfag strat?

It's the best. A huge loaf of bread costs me ~$1. Even less if I mill my own flour.

Absolutely. My loaves are usually ~4 cups flour made weekly, and a 5lb bag of flour that lasts weeks only costs like $4 if I'm getting the good stuff. You get even better deals if you buy those hugeass 50lb sacks, but I don't have a car so that's not an option for me. Thanks! I always walk away from bread feeling a little dissatisfied (oh I could have done this better or that different), but that's how we improve I suppose

Is making sour dough or french bread especially hard or anything?

Whats a good starter white bread recile

>$4 for the good stuff
>not stocking up on king arthur every december when it's $2 per 5lb sack
Do you even bake?

Wheat flour is the single most under-utilised source of protein and it's damned cheap, too. If you're truly poor, you can buy ghetto-brands of flour, like Save-A-Lot or Aldi (5lbs/$1.39 or so) and make seitan out of it.
After you make your seitan, you can slice it up and stir-fry it with vegetables or something. One sack of flour provides 239g of protein. Compare that to 2lbs of black beans (192g), a dozen eggs (96g) or a half pound of chicken breast (50g), all of which are around the same price as a 5lb sack of flour.

Do you make your own sourdough starter or just go off of pre bought yeast?

I'm more interested in your means of cooking it. Pizza stone? How hot is your oven? How long did you cook it for?

Did you do it deep dish style since it's a fluffier crust? If so what did you cook it in?

And for fun, what toppings?

It's the beauty of bread making. Most everything is edible and impresses everyone else, but there's ALWAYS room for improvement.

Sourdough is advanced breadmaking. Bread leavened with commercial yeast is easy peasy.

Google NY Time No-Knead Bread. It's a great start with artisan bread, and dead simple.

I make my own sourdough culture, but recently have been using commercial yeast because my culture died while I was out of town on business.

My standard pizza is 100% flour, 80% water, 2.5% salt, 0.2% yeast. I bake that at 550F (max temp in my oven) with convection on a stone. This dough yields a much more approachable delivery-style dough, as it has a lot of fat in it. As a result, I bake it, in general, at 450F until browned to my liking. For the party today, I put it in a half sheet pan and topped with pepperoni on one pizza, and mushrooms on the other. Baked at 450F for the first 10 minutes then dropped to 400F. No pizza stone. Baked about 25m total.

Oh that pizza looks great. The pizza I usually like has a thin crust. Traditional. However, no one else in my family likes this, especially my mother who has sensitive teeth. They prefer deep dish.

I've been looking for a delivery style dough recipe with a bread like crust and that looks perfect.

I'll give that a try.

This crumb looks like shit.

>not saying that it looks crumby

It's definitely advanced beginner stuff. You need to have an understanding of the processes in the dough to get good results with either, although misses won't be inedible.

Sourdough requires a living culture. You can make your own and it costs nothing, but you have to do it. The trick to making quality sourdough is to know your starter and how to best use it. They generally take longer than industrial yeast and the amount of leaven is much more crucial. Too little and it's compact, too much and it tastes poorly. With just yeast you can have a more nonchalant approach, too much won't hurt and too little is hard to do, it's so potent.

French bread requires even more precision. The gluten needs careful handling but also a lot of kneading. The structure needs much more tension so a folding technique has to be learned or created. It needs to be shaped before the final rise and then transferred to the oven without hurting the wobbly structure. They're very high hydration doughs and are very sticky which makes them a pain to handle. And you need specially ground fine flour.

You'll get good results with a simple no knead bread, but a decent baguette is an art. It can be done, I've seen pictures in these threads. But for a beginner it's a lot of frustration and too much to learn at once. It will take many attempts to get French breads right if it's how you begin to learn baking.

>not eating tons of flax seeds for the Omega-3s
I pity you dawg

hey FF, big fan. just wondering what you think about these proportions for potato rolls

- 325g flour (half all-purpose, half pastry)
- 260g water
- 4g salt
- 12g yeast
- 12g honey
- 50g butter
- 50g egg yolks
- 75g mashed potatoes (no butter)

3 mins mix with paddle attachment, three rounds of stretching and folding the dough for a couple minutes at a time. overnight ferment. baked 420 degF for 27 mins total, 15 mins in a covered dutch oven, 12 mins uncovered with eggwash.

>King Arthur
>not type 55
Do you?

>he thinks """"""""""""""""type 55""""""""""""""" is some special sort
Nigga, that's regular ol' flour.

>sourdough

You can start a culture by simply adding equal part water and whole wheat flour to a plastic container, then add a little yeast and let it ferment overnight.

Add your whole wheat portion to the starter tub, with very warm water, and let it ferment overnight, then dump that portion into your recipe (get a digital scale) and knead it up and let it rise. The starter goes back in the fridge for next time. I use whole wheat in the starter because all bread should have some whole wheat flour, whole wheat is more nutritious for us and the yeast, and fermentation damages the gluten structure, so I leave the bread flour out of it as long as I can.

>add a little yeast
Nope

Ever bring any bought yeast near your starter, and it's no longer sourdough but just industrial yeast.

The virtue of sourdough is in its cultures of yeasts and lactobacili. They reach a very stable balance after a while. But bought yeast will still kill them all in hours.

All you are doing is grow your own factory yeast culture. It won't be sour, and it won't be very stable. It'll bake bread no problem, I have tried it. But it has little flavor and absolutely no acidity.

And unless you optimize your feeding cycles and growing conditions to a point where it's a full time job, it will never be as potent again as that wet yeast packet from the store.

I agree completely with . Huge missed opportunity.

Baguettes are, in my opinion, the HARDEST bread to nail. I've probably personally made well over 3000 loaves of bread in my lifetime, and to this day hand-made baguettes are still the sketchiest thing I attempt.

Looks delicious to me! You may find the dough hard to stretch and fold with the addition of potatoes. They tend to turn the dough from an extensible material into something ultra sticky and pasty. End result is always awesome, though. It's hard to argue with the soft and smooth crumb that comes from potato bread. An alternative to achieve a similar texture is to make a tangzhong, where a water/flour roux is made and cooked, then added to the dough. Similar result: the cooked starch inhibits gluten formation and you get a very silky crumb.

I'm in agreement with on this. I have a strict no-commercial-yeast policy when I'm working with sourdough. I never put it in my culture, and I never add it in addition to the levain in my breads. When you add commercial yeast you are essentially just making a simple preferment (biga, poolish, etc). Still a great technique that yields exceptional results, but it's not the same as a levain.

see and let us know if this sounds about right to you, my freckly forearmed friend

>commercial yeast

my starter, which was started with commercial yeast, has been going strong for many months. I have no used commercial yeast since. So is my starter some how inferior? I don't think so.

pop it in an iron pot, then when it's "ready" just pop it in the oven without the iron pot until you have a dark brown surface on your bread.

About sourdough, I'm really curious how a bottom-fermenting yeast like they use for lagers would do. Less aggressive obviously, but supposedly does best around 50°f. Seeing as how I'm looking to get into sourdoughs and my house gets pretty chilly around wintertime, it might be worth my while.

Is it sour?

You are just raising yeast. And without lactobillus it will be prone to infections, watch out for mold.

It is possible to arrive at a stable culture from bought yeast. It just isn't likely. That yeast isn't made to go into symbiosis with lactobacillus.

As stated, I have done this. The result was stable enough, but inferior to cheapass store bought fresh yeast.

And it will never arrive at that nice flavor profile you get from airborne yeasts which come with unsterilized flour.

It's not that it's inferior. It's that it's not a sourdough in the true sense. You're essentially culturing commercial yeast, which is a completely different animal from wild yeast and bacteria. Nothing wrong with it. If it produces good bread, then that's all that matters.

Never tried it. I think the better bet is to set yourself up with a proofing container of some kind and stick with regular ol' sourdough. You can see some of mine in . Mine consists of an insulated container (collapsible cooler), a small electric heating mat, and a temperature-controlled outlet with thermocouple. It's set up so that whenever the temp in the cooler drops below 80F, power to mat switches on and gently brings the temp back up to 80F. Total setup cost me ~$50.

do eeeeeeeeeeeeet:

Redpill me on oat flour, bread masters. Can I replace some of my wheat flour with it? Will it screw up the structure in the same way that rye flour seems to?

In an unrelated note, what are those seeds that they put on top of flatbread in a lot of Indian restaurants? It reminds me of cumin, but it's definitely different.

I'm potato roll guy, glad you approve. created the recipe myself from reading On Food and Cooking + Artisan Breads Every Day. I need to try baking this bread with some high protein flour and see how it turns out.

stavvers.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/im-making-sourdough-with-my-vaginal-yeast/
Is this a good recipe?

Decided to use some of the leftover ingredients to make a totally different kind of pizza for dinner tonight. This one is my standard 80% hydration dough. Roasted potatoes and shallots as a topping.

Sorry, bud. Missed the previous post. To be honest with you, it's tough to determine what values the poster used for weight to volume conversion. I'm also not sure if canned pumpkin is 90% water, though I suppose that's possible. Best way to figure it out is to try it and see how you like it. Post up with results and we can fine tune it.

Oat flour has a great mouth feel and taste, but it is not a replacement for wheat. It has 0 gluten, so it will not stabilize oven rise like wheat flour does. I like to add it in in small amounts (

>potato pizza
I could have lived happily in the belief that those are mushrooms.