What food gives you that Ratatouille flash back feeling?

When the food critic, Anton Ego, bites into Remy's ratatouille, he's instantly transported to a comforting memory of eating the same dish his mother made when he was sad. What food gives you that feeling and what memory does it bring to mind?

My mom had this special dish that was a spin on the traditional take of chilaquiles rojo. It was a lot of effort for a weekday dinner, especially since my parents would come home so late. So whenever she made it, it was a special dinner. I recently ordered it at a restaurant and just seeing it on my plate made me happy. It even got a conversation going since everyone at the table was trying to pick off my plate. What's your special dish?

Whenever I drink beer I remember what my dad always smelled like right before he beat me.

Sucking on your moms tits

For me its the smell of cigarettes

Beer makes me think of happy times, friendly old fellows at the bar playing dice, talking about the game and eating peanuts.. I miss those innocent days of my youth.. I miss that bar...

eating a big bowl of shit reminds me of india

i honestly feel really bad for OP, he just wanted a serious thread and got nothing but shitposting /v/ kiddies

thank you, user. I can postpone my suicide now.

I don't really think any food gives me a special feeling of nostalgia. But sushi and lasagna (separately, not together) are pretty feel-good foods.

Veeky Forums is full of that now, sadly.

For me, I actually have a few. But honestly, Basil is a huge trigger for me and sends me right back to the kitchen where I got my first job as a pizza guy. Id always come home smelling like basil, flour, and roasted garlic cream.

*postpone suicide now
fuck, man. Even my iphone is getting in on the fun now.

That sounds pretty nice actually. Did it feel like living the movie stereotype being a young dude making pizzas?

Feel good as in it the satisfying feeling of a full stomach, the taste of good food, or...?

Actually, yeah it did a little bit. But it was a really nice place, actually. Not your run-of-the-mill pizza place. None of my friends could come bug me (as it was rather pricey) and it gave me really solid kitchen basics that have led me to a career in cooking.

You've redeemed this thread.

>Feel good as in...
They taste good and you can feel them fill you up as you eat them. Dunno how else to explain it, really.

What we called beef tips and rice. Just chunks of beef, rice, and some mushroom soup. During cold weather it was amazing. Use to eat it all the time as a kid.

Also I was fresh out of high school and was going to school online, Met some of the people that are still my best friends to this very day there. Good times. What is that food for you?

Serious answers:
>Pot roast (beef) made with bacon fat in a Dutch oven
>My grandmother's turkey noodle soup recipe (Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles and tomatoes, for no reason I can figure out)
>Pork roast with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes
>boiled crabs with potatoes and corn on the cob
>hamburger gravy over toast

Tell me that isn't Pennsylvania as fuck...

Yogurtlu Kebab.

It reminds me of visiting my dear old great-grandfather. He lived in an apartment for old folks and they brought him dinner every evening, but they didn't cater for guests. So my mum and I always ordered some food from a Turkish bakery/kebabberie nearby. I discovered their yogurtlu kebab and stuck with it.

pot roast with bacon fat sounds good as fuck. All of these do desu.

That makes sense.

Man, that story makes me feel good. The chilaquiles rojo mentioned in the OP, actually. There are so many birthdays I can remember asking for her to make it. She eventually showed me how to make it but even if I could replicate it to a T, hers would always be better.

That sounds amazing. Any particular memory that brings to mind when you eat it?

These

Those look really cozy.

That reminds me of a dish I only have eaten twice in my life. I remember that it was a cold and windy day and it had just rained decently hard, just enough for the cold to seep beneath the door and into the house. The house was warm and smelled amazing from the food cooking. And my mom made a cheesy potato soup with a slice of plain white bread w/ butter to dip it in. Having warm soup in my belly to ward off the cold was a feeling like no other. I never had the chance to eat it a third time though because I later became lactose intolerant but the memory is nice.

They are all good as fuck, but they're all likely to die with my mother, because the only other one in my family who still cooks like that is my bro who is fat as fuck and might die before her. I stopped cooking those dishes years ago because they don't line up with modern life. They're from a time when you had to prioritize your intake of protein and fat. Today you have to watch it because that shit is so available.

You could try altering the recipe. Make it healthier without sabotaging taste.

For some reason hamburger gravy over toast was a traditional holiday breakfast on my father's side of the family. So that tastes exactly like Christmas and Easter mornings to me.

I love holidays for that reason.

I've tried. Doesn't work. One of the biggest things I've learned about cooking is if you can't beat your grandma's then learn how to cook someone else's grandma's who cooked just as well but lighter. I've been lucky to have access to those old women showing me how to cook over the years.
I hate holidays, but I love getting the family together, and holidays are the excuse. Kinda torn between loving getting everyone together and hating planning shit...

Hm, good points there. Well, maybe have yourself a cheat day just to enjoy every once in a while. It'd be a shame to never eat such tasty food again.

>watching children's films as an adult

Kraft mac and cheese reminds me of halloween, we would always have it before trick or treating, so my brother's and I would be half in our costumes eating it before we walked around our neighborhood.

yeah that's nice /tv/ could you keep the sperging to a minimum? We're trying to talk about food here.

I've had so many years of it there will be no reason to ever do it again on my own. I can summon the moment without even making the dish - the memories are that strong.

Spanish spaghetti.
It was literally basic pasta with hunts tomato paste and sauce with chicken drumsticks, onion, cilantro and garlic.
My mom makes it very rarely anyone. Always makes a long day at work vanish when I visit her and that cooking

New Mexico Enchiladas (Tortilla stack/alternating layer of cheese, onion & red sauce with a fried egg on top). I remember the smell of it and the coffee smell & morning kitchen sounds and my sweet old Mexican grandmother with her cigarette and Budweiser, just happily cooking which was her idea of a vacation.

Fried Chicken. From my mothers side of the family, this one makes me remember eating it when I was really little, the recipe has been in our family forever and it is one of the earliest foods I remember as a child, we'd usually take it to the back yard table to eat, so that whole experience I remember fondly. I would devour it, still do when I have the time to make it.

Com bi suon nuong

A Vietnamese broken rice dish. I'm Vietnamese and when I was younger, having been raised in the U.S., I didn't know how to eat most Viet food and this was the only thing I could get whenever my family would order from a restaurant every now and then.

I also remember the times when I went back to Vietnam and my dad who was never around and still isn't around would buy me this dish whenever he came by.

*I was born in Vietnam but was brought to the U.S. at a year old

This.

When I turned 22 I spoke with my sister, who was well older than me, and confided in her that I did not like my mother's cooking, that as a dependent I had not realized that food could taste so good.

She was surprised it had taken me so long to figure out.

Matza reminds me of being forced to starve for a week every year during my childhood.

I think the criteria for this type of memory food are:
-Eaten infrequently
-Strong emotional impression when consumed

Oatmeal porridge for me, I was practicaly raised by my Ukrainian grandma untill tge age of 4 and that was the usual breakfast. It was delicious

Real Shit? wendy's chicken nuggets

my mom never really had the time to make stuff for us when we were younger, so she'd get us the 99 cents nuggets from the wendys across the street for lunch most of the time. still my favorite nuggets from any restaurant,

Those ready made cookies you can buy at the store that you just pop in the oven, and they usually have seasonal designs on them. Every time I eat one I'm reminded of doing an advent calendar with my mom and brother around Christmas, and how my mom would wrap these suction cup medallion things and we would unwrap one each day in December, and the medallion would tell a bible story, and then we'd stick it to the sliding glass door in the shape of a Christmas tree, and on the last day, the last medallion would be the Star of Bethlehem at the top of the tree.

I love those cookies

>iphone
>filename

Fish a la Jeanette.
It's a gratin with waxy potatoes, flaked fish, and bechamel, topped with Cheddar cheese and buttered breadcrumbs. My grandmother made it with mackerel. I've only ever found one version of the recipe online, and it called for salmon.

This is the dish of my childhood. The earliest dish I can remember that left an impression on me. I'm almost afraid to make it myself for fear of spoiling the memory.

I blame the Jack spam that pervades most of the daily webcomic and webm threads.

Some retard just spams that shit non-stop in every thread and people keep getting amazed at that shit.

I have almost no happy food related memories from my childhood since my parents can't cook. I had almost exclusively canned soups and pasta sauces, that's pretty much why I wanted to learn how to cook.

However, I got really amazed when I first tried some goat cheese and I still get remembered of that moment of revelation of how special food can taste.

> millenials are so ignorant they refer to a Proustian reverie as a 'ratatouille moment'

educate yourselves

I don't understand, they receive more schooling than I did, but wind up knowing less and instead learn of things through pop culture. What the hell are they teaching in schools now?

>canned soups and pasta sauces
actually thats kind of one of my happiest food memory
I dont know in which countries it's available but those Spaghetti Miracoli boxes with their "secret spice blend" (pic related) along with iceberg lettuce in a pretty sweet yoghurt lemon dressing gives me pretty happy flashbacks when I was like 5 or 6 years old and thought that was the pinnacle of cuisine
my mother learned how to cook properly when my family got more money. But even though I'm from a rather poor and trashy backround I had a pretty much perfect childhood, and shitty freeze dried herbs in a mixture of cheap tomato paste and water, topped with powdered cardboard cheese remind me of it.

>ratatouille moment
Literally never heard of anyone who says this ever
I mean, the word 'flashback' exists, and even then, they'd probably say 'nostalgia trip'

Warhol's entire point was the pop culture is culture. This has not been news for my entire lifetime, and I'm almost 50. Where have you been?
You too.

I came from a small town in England with not much going on
The two nostalgic foods for me are my mums spaghetti bolignaise and an American themed restaurant called Rockafellas where I got buffalo wings and a big steak every birthday

No one cares, grandpa

for me, its the mcdouble.

it's in the OP

a) pop culture being culture has nothing to do with that guy's point
b) who the fuck defers their opinion to andy fucking warhol

My mom's soup that I cannot copy (yet)
Also my mom's stew that I can copy somewhat but it's just not the same
I miss me mum
But I'll go back this winter

Hot diggity is it going to be comfy

Warhol's point is far more relevant today than it was during his lifetime. What was condescendingly called pop culture back in his day is culture today. Someone who has never read a single great work of literature is familiar with most of the classic themes running all the way back to Greek plays just from watching movies and TV. Someone who knows what a "Ratatouille moment" is does not need to know what a Proustian reverie is. Because we live in a world where far more people have seen the movie than have read A la Recherche du Temps Perdu.

At the end of the day how different is a Warhol lithograph of a Campbell's soup can from the Mona Lisa? If you nerd out on painting technique you can't even compare the two. But as ambassadors of the culture that produced them they're just about even, and equally relevant.

Yes, they made a film about this.

Idiocracy.

Whenever I eat a really good German meal like the kinds I grew up with.

boi

My mother's goulash.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Human nature remains unchanged. Shakespeare was the TV of his day, as were the Greek playwrights. Sure, some stuff from history was so fucking on point that it transcends it time. I still listen to Vivaldi, ffs. But that doesn't mean the minds behind our pop culture are any less brilliant. Yeah, it's nice to know about the great works those that came before us have produced. We're lucky that we have access to the works of some of history's geniuses. But the actual themes of their works? You can get those just by watching Shonda Rhimes' TV shows.

roasted veggies remind me of being a kid. My mom was a decent cook, but always nailed it roasting veggies.

I worked in a restaurant that smoked wings in alittle smoker behind me. I loved that restaurant, and that smell brings me right back to that pantry station.

I worked in a country club that was mainly american and Italian food. Brick chickens were a big deal, and since they took soo long to cook (they used a breast with a thigh still attached) they would fire a few off at the beginning of service. I was dirt poor at the time and getting sent home with one of those was amazing.

Just plain fried egg sandwich. Even when it's simple, when made by a loved one's hands, nothing can compare.

I'm kind of the same about a NYC bodega sausage, egg and cheese on a roll. I don't even like yellow American cheese, but one bite of that sandwich and I'm reliving my first days living in NYC.

fully/properly cooked (well done) one pound double cheeseburger.

>Pot roast (beef) made with bacon fat in a Dutch oven
>Dutch oven

Gumbo or crawfish.

My dad has always been an amazing cook, and he makes fantastic gumbo, so it reminds me of when I used to live with him in deep East Texas.

Same goes for the crawfish, because those are always present at big gatherings of family and friends.

Marraqueta (bread)+farm cheese in the oven and mate with orange peels

My grandmother used to make this for tea time for me.

You realize that slang comes from a common kitchen item that many people use, right?

I use my dutch oven pretty much every week.

My mom's tuna noodle casserole and Brocolli Ham ring. Both were fucking amazing and so comfy. Also, she made this amazing rice/pine nut/sausage casserole type dish that was absolutely beyond delicious. Mouth is watering just thinkin' about it. Her meatloaf was good too. I make the meatloaf quite a bit, but it never feels the same...

My wife bakes bread in them. We have four of them.

Tea and madelaines

Fuck, I'm dumb (just googled it). We also have one of these at home, but I never knew they were called Dutch Ovens. I always called it the 'stew pot', since my mom used these for that

Pasties. My mom used to make them for me a lot as a kid in the winter and they taste like sledding with my friends.

For years my Dad and I would go to this Thai place almost weekly for lunch, and we would always get curry as we caught up and chatted. I haven't had it in a while.

These ones?

That's adorable.

That sounds so tasty

Hey, it doesn't have to be a childhood memory or a home cooked meal. Just a food that brings you a fond memory upon eating it.

What soup/stew does she make?

My grandmothers homemade chips.

Nothing beats a Scottish grannie for decent fried potato snacks. Occasionally my father will make a batch and, before serving, will tell us "I'm sorry it's not like you're used to". Gets me everytime.

Lots of food I won't be eating anymore to avoid getting fat again.

Grilled cheese made with lots of butter.

Spaghetti with premade sauce and chunks of ground beef.

Fried chicken strips with white rice and corn. This triggers the most feels.

Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.

I've lost 90 lbs in the past three years and I doubt I'll be eating any of these until I'm an old ass man no longer giving a fuck about my weight.

I'm a 24 year old that designs million dollar automation cells for companies world wide. They are teaching us STEM, not what to call a specific type of nostalgia, dipdog.

Warhol was legally retarded.

When I was a kid and my dad was gone and none of my siblings were home, my mom would share her cozy food that her mom ate with her. It's all junk but it's cozy and nostalgic to me.

We'd make pasta with butter (the expensive real kind we only used for special things, not the cheap margarine) and grate parmesan over the top and eat it plain or with fresh ground black pepper.

The other was only when she was depressed. She'd take leftover rice from Chinese and microwave it with milk and a little brown sugar. It was our expensive poor version of rice pudding.

The stew really wasn't anything all that special. A fairly basic stew with tomato sauce/paste, potatoes, different types of meats for taste (bacon, dried sausage) and usually beef or so.

The soup is something that I've mostly seen only in my country (Romania). It's also fairly simple but the stock was the secret methinks. It's a chicken and dumplings soup. We call it "supă cu găluște" but that doesn't translate very well. You'll probably find some ok images on google

But really, having someone else cook for you is comfy as it is, especially when they care about you and like cooking for you. But mum always made that stuff in winter when I came back from playing in the snow as a kid (I fuckin love winter).

>tfw no wife

v Proustian

got 'em

Apple brandy I made from cider back when I was a teen.

Rough as hell but I found a bottle hidden in my parents attic when I was helping clearing out and it reminds me of hanging out in the woods with my friends pretending to be old timey moonshiners before most got addicted to oxy or heroin and the woods got cleared out for apartments and condos.

This. I'm not gonna say having a good grounding in literature is pointless, but it's a lot less practical to focus solely on it nowadays if you wanna make a buck

I'm a 17 year old math genius 300k starting salary wherever I want thank u stem

Does you mom not make it for you anymore?

My dad would always make us the best breakfasts, while my mom did dinners.

So crepes, bananas foster, fresh baked bread with home made strawberry jam, all make me remember weekend mornings as a kid. That and over flowing bowls of Cheerios.

My mom's tangy barbecue slow cooked pork chops were always great, and I can remember the vinegary smell of the sauce even now. We served the extra sauce over white rice.

Are you me?
My dad always smelled specifically of IPA however.

>it's in the OP
He also calls it a flashback

It's become even more rare than when I was a kid but no, she hasn't necessarily stopped making it. But, that's probably due to the fact that our home went from 3 people to 7 since my older sister and her 3 kids moved back home. Too busy, I suppose. Maybe I'll ask her to make it for my birthday.

Never let a decent thread topic started by someone speaking earnestly and not shitposting stop you from bringing up pedantic arguments blaming the 'millenial' boogeyman.

No, user. YOU are the cancer.

For me, I get a powerful feeling of nostalgia when I have german chocolate cake made from scratch. My mother always made it for my birthday growing up, and now we live on opposite sides of the country, so I didn't get it for a while. My fiancee and I made it together last month for my birthday in our little apartment.

Also, Flav-Or-Ice. The real, name brand stuff. It reminds me of learning to swim and dive into the deep end. I distinctly remember getting them from a cooler in the yard after doing repetitions and practicing dives. I ended up being on swim team in middle and high school for a while. Pink best flavor, btw.

>german chocolate cake made from scratch
I can't help but think of Matilda.