Why is Bill Nye seen as such a huge voice in the scientific world despite him only possessing a Bachelor's degree...

Why is Bill Nye seen as such a huge voice in the scientific world despite him only possessing a Bachelor's degree? Is it only because he had a popular TV show and now he's a "FuNNY MeMe xDDDD"? Or am I just missing something? No hate towards Nye though, just curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r4oBd07pLuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

see

He's entertaining. That's it.

No one apart from American millennials knows him

Most scientists make for crappy public speakers. Nye is very engaging. In addition, most professors only have time for teaching/research but not outreach. A small portion of people go around either drumming up support from the public, getting kids interested in science, or lobbying in congress.

Fun fact: one of my old professors didn't do a lot of research. Instead he would make trips to DC to lobby for more physics funding. He also helped get collab going between our university and others.

Nye fills many of these roles. Just because he doesn't have a PhD doesn't make him worthless. Some people even advocate not going for a PhD. One example is Freeman Dyson. I know I personally had an interest in physics in part due to Bill Nye.

but he's actually wrong about a lot of things.

don't talk shit about beakman's world

Because there's a tendency to shame people who speak out against science, but most people who like science are dumb as shit, so they think "liking science" means "not criticizing anyone who knows anything about science".

He isn't autistic and know how to be a huckster. Scientists are spaghetti ejectors usually.

Primarily because Nye likes to go outside of his lane on many, many things.

>Logical man of God.
I guess, if "logical" means refusing to be right or correct your mistakes and spending millions of dollars lying to children and easily taken in creatards.
So what? People have called him on it when he's said stupid shit. Science isn't about being right the first time, it's about trying things out and being wrong, then working to fix whatever you got wrong until you've fixed your model enough that it's actually worthwhile.

>I guess, if "logical" means refusing to be right or correct your mistakes and spending millions of dollars lying to children and easily taken in creatards.
>taking the bait

Take you aspie meds.

>So what? People have called him on it when he's said stupid shit

Because no one pays attention to that, and normies walk away with disinformation.

>>So what? People have called him on it when he's said stupid shit
>Because no one pays attention to that, and normies walk away with disinformation.
Normies will be filled with disinformation either way, are you that fucking naive?

That's no excuse

>So what? People have called him on it when he's said stupid shit. Science isn't about being right the first time, it's about trying things out and being wrong, then working to fix whatever you got wrong until you've fixed your model enough that it's actually worthwhile.
Yes, but the point is that he isn't DOING science. He's speaking for/about science, and often about parts of science that have been well established for decades. You're conflating the scientific process with memorizing facts and figures correctly.
See: youtube.com/watch?v=r4oBd07pLuE

>despite him only possessing a Bachelor's degree?

He was an engineer at Boing for a long time. That looks a lot better on a resume than a Master's degree.

it doesn't.

Just like black science man he is seen to the common denominator as a scientist. If you say science, they typically will think of him, and it makes sense for them to see him as a single important influential source.

He's not a huge voice and he's barely a pop culture icon.
He took what little fame he had and decided to give science a helping hand in the PR department because, duh, he works in media.
And not just any media but "infotainment".
So fuck off with your bullshit.
And before you ask, yes I am mad, because I expect to come to Veeky Forums seeing some real Veeky Forums shit not this "hurr durrr science guy thinks he's hot shit lol how come hurr durr".
Fuck you and fuck him.
You just wasted all of our time.
I hope you're proud of yourself.

He is a popularizer of science. If you can't see the benefit of that you're a fucking brainlet and should go to literally any other board.

>8139249
Remember, it was a children's TV show.

I've got some scary news for you user. SOMETHING that you believe and spread to others is untrue. It's a guarantee. Now shut the fuck up with your childish view.

He's a big voice in pop-science, not science: same as Neil DeGrasse Tyson. You probably wouldn't recognize a lot of the major voices in science.

He brings young people into the sciences and informs people about science. Whether you like it or not, this is an incredibly important job and not one that requires a PhD, it just requires charisma. Which is a characteristic that most scientists are woefully lacking.

OP is a fucking retarded ? do you think everything in life is based on a few years of education?

so if this guy worked for NASA for 10 years you that doest count for anything?

protip degrees only means something when you are young. its the achievements you do after that counts. thats when you really learn somthing.

>2016
>discover a valid theory in quantum gravity
>experiments seem to agree with it
>publish a paper on it
>turns out you don't have a memeversity degree
>into the trash it goes