Free meat

Hypothetically speaking, how bad would it be if I adopted pets only to use them for food. There are loads of people in my area giving away bunnies, guinea pigs, and such, for free online, and I'm thinking it would be a great way to test out new meats in my cooking. Ideas?

It's commonly known as farming, retard.
This is not a revolutionary concept.

I'm not planning on breeding them, just adopt, butcher and eat.

I thought about this but never actually did it.
I guess it's at the very least dishonest if the people think you want the animal as a pet.

>butchering while still alive
y-you monster! at least slaughter them first!

Why not get creative? Get bunnies, let them fuck, eat the boy, the the girl get pregnant and have about 14 kids and the eat her and then let them grow until they get some meat.

seems like some fun. do you have a room you don't use? just buy a shit ton of lettuce.

Sounds like a good summer project, but in winter there will be no bunny space.

kek

i've done this with snakes.

I would be concerned with the legality of it though, wouldn't you need to fill in permits to adopt animals? I think that they would be suspicious if you repeatedly adopt animals only for them to disappear.

Locals will usually just give you a mutt or whatever for free. Some people want to keep in your life and see how it goes, others who have exp with litters will just throw it at you and run

>forms for a free guine pig

how old are you user?

I'm not american if it means anything to you, I wouldn't know about the legal issues surrounding animal adoption in the states.

i dont think you are going to get alot of meat out of a guinea pig

Surely there are easier and cheaper ways to get snake meat.

neither would you out of a quail but they're delicious

why not? they're animals. no different from killing a cow.

How difficult is it to keep a pet cow? How much space do they need? Can you train it to be a guard cow?

Cows are too stupid to be trained.

Cows are smart dude. My neighbours cow know who I am and is chill around me, but keeps her calf protected against strangers. She also licks my head but no one elses. I want that, but with my own cow and maybe train her to kick the shit out of intruders.

Wabbit season

wun wabbit wun wabbit wun wun wun

>She also licks my head

disgusting.

Never had the natty lickaroo, user?

snek is not for eat

if no then why is snek good eat

Just go full redneck and butcher up some roadkill.

You wouldn't be alive here today if it wasn't for live vivisection.

The reason not to do this is the same reason you don't eat race horses. You have no idea if the pet has received some sort of medicine that can affect you badly.

this si warm snek

I already do this. No rabbits around here though, and the meat is better.

I'm thinking I can ask the owners if the animal has had any medication or diseases. Since I'm planning to adopt tiny short-lived things I'm thinking people don't spend too much for vet time.

Comfy snek

Ain't snakes ectothermic? What good is a sweater if you don't produce body heat?

being stylish and fashionable

I thought some species just weren't as good for eating

sure you could potentially eat them, but why not stick to things that were bred to taste good

Like rabbits and guinea pigs?

Some rabbits were bred to eat
Some rabbits were bred to pet

I'm sure the same goes for guinea pigs

i would argue keeping a pet (especially in a cage) is worse than being lunch anyway

I wouldn't keep my cow in a cage. She may sleep on the couch and go wherever she pleases.

sure, but even an egg-laying hen has good meat and makes excellent stock in old age. I'm thinking the same with rabbits.

>but why not stick to things that were bred to taste good

Because that's expensive as fuck. Supermarket meat isn't bred to taste good, it's bred to grow fast & large while having minimal feed costs. Disease resistance is a concern too.

If you want meat that's bred to taste good then you're talking Wagyu beef, Ossabaw or Mangalitsa pigs, and so on. That stuff is far from cheap. (good though).

bred to taste good doesn't just mean the top 3% off all breeds. A lot of common breeds are bred for flavour. Unless you're a burgerfag this isn't a huge problem.

how long does it take until babbunnies are big enough that it's worth eating them?
breen them for one summer, slaughter them, freeze the meat and you'll be set to make stews, roasts and so on for each sunday of the winter

For the fast majority of cattle (and other livestock) flavor is a secondary concern, if that high. Primary concerns are growing to market weight as quickly as possible, being docile enough to handle easily, disease resistance, and the ability to weather the climate they are being raised in. And cost, of course. Flavor is never a primary concern unless you are talking about the top % in the market. Admittedly I have no idea if that's the top 1% or the top 10%. But it's certainly not a major concern for anything you'd buy at a normal market.

I recommend reading up on the old breeds and farming/husbandry culture. You have no idea what you're talking about. Even if loads of factors are involved nobody kept meat animals if the flavour was secondary. It is only very recently that the commercialization of meat has created the broiler breeds and similar categories and that's mostly in factory farming.

Yes, but it's almost october dude. First frost has come and gone.

It's not illegal to kill a pet in Canada, as long as it doesn't suffer unnecessarily. Eating them is just nature.
My main objection to your plan is that it's a lot of work for creatures without much meat, unless you focus on big dogs.

if you fish and eat tiny trout from a lake, does the same logic apply? How about quail? How about shrimp?

Those things work because you can get a lot of meat by capturing a lot of those animals
if you're planning on adopting pets, you'll probably only be able to get a few pets every month at most

>making two threads for a shit idea

baka famalia, still tho, its nice to see how the ideals change across /an/ and Veeky Forums

OP said he was looking to "test out new meats" in his cooking, not that he wanted to sustain himself on a daily basis.