He fell for the cast iron meme

>he fell for the cast iron meme

How does it feel to be a culinary hipster?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Starfrit-inch-Light-Cast-Iron/dp/B002EQA4WW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I inherited them from my parents. You're just bitter you come from a pleb family with no cookware worth handing down.

What am i supposed to be using then?

>not getting hand me downs that can fry and sear like so tomorrow
Kys edgemotron9001

I've been using cast iron my whole life, as have my parent,s and my grandparents, and so on. Some of my pans are over a century old.

>hand me downs mean I'm not a hipster! honest!

So you're super poor and hipster?

Non-stick, steel, and aluminum pans, obviously.

>the oldest form of affordable cookware
>a recent hipster meme
>while I use a 5$ piece of aluminium with a teflon coating, and think overcooking pork to the point it is dry as hell itself substitutes a decent sear on a properly medium cooked piece of white meat

How does it feel to have strong opinions on things you know nothing about?

>calls cast iron a meme
>tells people to use nonstick

Really makes you think

If non-stick was a meme it wouldn't be the most popular type of pan used today.

Seriously, though, there is nothing a CI can do that a stainless steel pan can't.

>getting mad at google images

wew

Kek. My family has been handing shit down for generations.

I have furniture we have owned from the 14th century in the house I own.

Am I poor?

>Non-stick
And you are accusing others of being memesters?
When you are still sticking to a retarded meme which fell out of favor years ago?
Lel

Stop taking the obvious b8 you spergs

Jokes on you, I have my mother's cast iron that my family as been cooking on for 50 years.

aslo have her 1953 waffle iron, almost complete set of Revere Ware pots and original Corning ware dishes.

What type of pan do you guys recommend to your friends who want to get into cooking? Is nonstick the obvious choice?

>things that are old are instantly antique and vintage because they're old

turbohipster detected

>non-stick fell out of favor

Again, most homes use non-stick. It's just the truth. Not everyone lives in your hipster fairytale land where everything old is magically better.

>Have both
>Iron is better for whole pieces of meat
>Oven is better for cheaper meats and chicken

I am sorry you have not been able to afford new pans and appliances for fifty years. A 60yo waffle iron is almost certainly a massive fire hazard.

it was until I rewired it. makes the best classic round waffles you will ever eat.

Sorry you don't know how to do anything for yourself and you have to buy crap modern goods from China over and over and over again because you are disposable person

>If non-stick was a meme it wouldn't be the most popular type of pan used today.

dis nigga

>populace fallacy.
>It's so good because everyone uses it.
Or learn to cook properly

Probably not. I spent 10k on furniture and half my fucking house is still empty. I wish I got some hand me down furniture.

Essentially, OP is admitting that he doesn't know how to cook with and care for a cast iron pan, is unwilling to take the tiny amount of time to learn, and thus is convincing himself that he doesn't want it by telling other people that they are wrong, when in fact it is the OP who is wrong.

Fox and grapes, in other words.

Nonstick pans make dry food, thats a fact

Ah, yes, the last defense of the fool. Calling people poor because they don't enjoy wasting money when they don't need to spend it.

I'll be over here searing steaks and burgers, making delicious cornbread, frying bacon, and doing all the things that a nonstick pan can do, but better.

I've only had to replace one pan in over a decade of regular cooking, and it was my own fault.

Sorry you think your time is better spent rewiring an ancient waffle iron than buying a good quality new one. Try not to burn your house down with it.

Disprove it. You can't.

>everyone is wrong because it's popular
Definition of a hipster.

Oh, looks like the Internet psychologist stopped by for a visit. Why don't you tell me more about how my lack of desire to use outmoded kitchenware somehow relates to a buried oedipus complex, Dr. Fraud?

>It's hard to put butter and grease in a pan

C'mon son.

>admitting to being poor

I wouldn't want any if your foodstamp rations anyways, friend.

>So you're super poor and hipster?
lol only poor people buy new shit to replace perfectly good items they already own. That's one of the reasons they're poor.

You have legit autism, im sorry to tell you.

Yeah man, fuck new technology. Who needs seat belts and airbags, my Model T runs just fine with a little elbow grease.

>can't disprove or refute, resorts to calling autism

Thanks for admitting I'm right.

Pretty sure damn near any item is antique and collectible by the time it's 700 years old lol.

>It's good because it's popular.
>calls out fallacy
>hurr durr hipster
Autism

Cast iron, carbon steel, or stainless steel. Nonstick is trash.

>also calling autism

Two down.

>Yeah man, fuck new technology. Who needs seat belts and airbags, my Model T runs just fine with a little elbow grease.
We're talking about replacing perfectly good, high quality old pans with newer, lower quality pans. What do cars have to do with it?

You really have all the signs of autism, please get some help, i can forward you a good doctor in your area

There is no reason to not use at least stainless steel.

Why even bother replying if you're so butthurt by the truth all you can do is cry autism?

>There is no reason to not use at least stainless steel.
There is no reason to buy stainless steel if my cast iron does everything I need exceptionally well already.

Enjoy your mindless consumerism.

So you don't want to learn new techniques on new pans, then? You just want to stick to your CI because that's what you learned on? How do you expect to get better with that cowardly mentality?

If all you have is a CI you are no better than someone who only has non-stick. Honest truth.

t. child with no concept of money

>i know you have a spork
>here's why you need a fork

You know how autistic that sounds, right?

I do wonder what the point of cast iron is if you have to use a fuckload of fat anyway (which castironfags always insist upon)

Well honestly my friend I did just eat a plate of rice with a fork.

You really only need just enough to lubricate the pan. A tablespoon or so is all you really need.

Unless you're talking about using fat when caring for it. Even then you only need a small amount, just enough to create a moisture barrier.

Nice false equivalency. As if the CI is magically the master of all cooking by virtue of age. Also, calling out autism, shame, you were doing so well. Try to expand your horizons. A chef that only knows how to use one kind of pan will eventually find themselves a hazard when the need to cook with a different kind of pan arises.

Oh, so now they're different? At the beginning you were insisting on the superiority of shitty nonstick pans and cast iron being merely a meme.

Good to see you're coming around.

The way you abbreviate cast iron is quite
autistic

>OP getting BTFO by cast iron
Please, go on. I'm enjoying this with dinner.

OK then, perhaps I've been misled. Best bacon I've ever had came out of a cast iron pan, I'm just hesitant to get my own since whenever someone runs into a problem with theirs and asks for advice Veeky Forums they get replies telling them to use tons of butter.

That's most likely from a well-seasoned pan. It's probably cooked a ton of bacon to get that flavor. Don't expect a fresh skillet to have that same effect, but it will come with time and use.

>not even copper
>toxic nonstick

Just use the pan all the time, it'll get there in time. Disregard esoteric seasoning rituals, that's just reddit tier faggotry.
And use a metal spatula on it, if shit sticks scrape the fucker down. Whole pan will be smooth as glass eventually (or throw it on a lathe and machine it down and polish it if you've got one handy lol).

Thought I had accidentally migrated to /b/ for a while in this thread.

I know how to cook with a teflon pan just as well as with a cast iron pan. But I will default to cast iron because it stays hotter for longer, things rarely stick to it and it can handle a lot more abuse than a teflon pan.

If I want to broil a steak then I have no qualms whatsoever about leaving my iron skillet in the oven for fifteen minutes. I'm not going to do that with teflon.

But to assume that cast iron is bad or not worth using because it's old is a myopic point of view. You're just as foolish for assuming food cooked with iron is lower quality simply because of the vessel in which it was prepared, or that iron itself shouldn't be used because newer technologies exhist.

>no one in this thread owns cast ceramic pans

i have a frying pan that costs 1400 dollars.

it's an extremely difficult process that has to be done by hand but you can make a cast iron pan that is coated in glazed ceramic, giving it all the heat retention and radiation properties of cast iron, and better non-stick than non-stick pans, while not releasing chemicals that disable your testicles into my food.

What? That's what my whole argument is about. People that fall for the CI meme aren't people that have a multitude of pan types, they are people who use CI and only CI and claim all other types inferior. Why do you think I've been calling them hipsters?

When you first start using a cast iron pan you will need to use a lot of fat to prevent it from sticking, but the longer you use it and the more season builds, the less grease you'll need.

That said, I used 2 tbsp of butter tonight but I cooked half a dozen steaks.

>Why do you think I've been calling them hipsters?
Because you don't know how to express yourself without defaulting to meaningless buzzwords.

I hope you mean $140 because if not you got gypped.

lol look at this babby's first logical fallacy tier shit post

$1400. not $1399.99. $1400. and that was with the employee discount. my fathers wife is a sales accountant or something for the company and hooked me up. When i bought my first house, i just called her and told her that i want the entire set - she has a set and i've cooked on them before, they're magical. i even got the matching kitchen set of plates and bowls etc. it's pretty sick.

i know it's bait but children will believe you're serious

bought myself a cast iron pan to take camping as they can take the wear & tear better, ended up loving it and it's my daily pan now. idgaf about status or w/e use what you like best

you got ripped then,, theres no magical tech in that pan, I have like 5 light cast iron pans with ceramic coatings, 3 were from japan and the other 2 are German, none of them were more then 75 bucks and I have used them for the last 5-6 years witth zero issue. you are a fool

So the set cost $1400, or just the pan?

no, these are totally worth it and i'm sure they're extremely different from the pans you're using, or you're lying.

the set was $11,500 iirc.

amazon.com/Starfrit-inch-Light-Cast-Iron/dp/B002EQA4WW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Give us the brand name. Link us the pan/set.

i can't because i was lying. my fathers wife really does have these pans from the company she works for but it's probably more like 200 bucks, not 1400. i don't have a house. i don't own any cookware because i live with my grandparents. i did make this computer out of wood, though. that is true.

Probably because you are borderline autistic

Whew. Honestly I'm relieved. I can see $200 for top of the line name brand stuff, was going to feel bad if you got ripped off $1200.

That's a really nice housefire starter, user. Hoping to collect on their insurance?

>>i was lying to people that would feel bad if i was taken advantage of

there is no redeeming me

it's really not, the quadro video card is underclocked and doesn't get above 75c on max load after hours, the north bridge doesn't get above 65c, the entire thing is stood off with hand turned pegs, and the wood is a oily african mahogany that you probably couldn't light on fire with a lighter.

I'mma need a timestamp or this didn't happen.

you are retarded. cast iron pans while passable, are awful at handling acidic food for long periods of time, even when your pan can take it, you'd be better off using stainless steel. Tons of food are acidic. Ta fucking da, an area stainless steel shines in perfectly. please apply delete firmly to this fucking cesspool of a thread.

bump so i can find it on my phone

>agrees with me
>calls me retarded

???

Here u go

Give me a closeup on that framed thing on the wall.

Enhance!

Interesting screen set up bro. You do a lot of editing or photoshop stuff? I usually only see that kind of config with graphics people

I KNEW IT!

yes, i do that stuff. i'm proficient with adobe illustrator, adobe indesign, adobe photoshop, adobe aftereffects, autodesk inventor, and ableton live. i'm learning C, java, python. i'll never do anything with any of it and will probably commit suicide with 10 years because i'm human trash.

>look ma I'm shitposting again

>not cooking exclusively using a steamer or a vitaclay crockpot

>No Microwave
>Just reheat stuff in the oven

OP is being a prick about it, but he's right. Cast iron is very good for searing and that's about it.

I bet you assholes will be ecstatic once you find out about carbon steel pans.

>thinks cast iron is single use
>doesn't know how to actually cook
I like steel pans and carbon steel but I love frying eggs on my cast iron

>I don't know how to sodder or Google
>cast iron is pleb cause it's popular
>non-stick is great cause it's popular

Kys

>can't even spell solder right

Maybe if you spent your time reading textbooks instead of fixing ancient kitchen appliances you could get a job so you could afford modern appliances, user.

>sodder
You fucked up user.

You had one job while making fun of him.

You fucked up hard.

I use cast iron for meat and oven stuff, and nonstick for eggs and other sensitive shit and when I can't be assed to wait for the pan to heat up. Different things do different things better than other things. It isn't that hard, fuck.

Also there is nothing wrong with being a hipster. 10% of stuff that is popular is popular because it's the best. The other 90% of popular stuff is popular because it's designed to be vaguely acceptable to the largest number of people. People have individual tastes. If you care about a thing, spend the extra money on the thing designed for your tastes, instead of buying the economics of scale generic thing designed for people who just need a thing. If you like something because everybody else likes the thing, welp, I believe that's what Veeky Forums used to call a normie.

Stainless steel.

It's the best there is, bar none.

According to who? What experience and qualifications give you the expertise to say that it's the best "bar none"? Sounds more like your personal opinion, 2bh.

as a regular on /v/ and Veeky Forums, i'm used to their autism about dumb shit so it doesn't really surprise me anymore
but going here and witnessing cooking autism is just hilarious

A Tefal pan is cheap enough that having it around even for the occasional delicate piece of fish makes sense. You can use it for pretty much anything, but it wears down.

>hipster
My experience is the kind of person who still uses this term as a pejorative cares so much about what other people think that it prevents them from enjoying nice things. The result is usually shit taste, because instead of judging something on its own merits they judge based upon what kind of image they perceive that thing sending to others around them. They say shit like "I don't like (insert nice thing here) because it's hipster bullshit."

I get not liking young, affluent, white urban tastemakers as a class, but writing off everything they're into as hipster shit ignores a very important fact: they usually have pretty good taste.

Ceramic master race

Ceramic as in enamel is pretty useful, easy to clean and as long as you use a carbon steel cored pan instead of meme-iron not too heavy either.

Ceramic as in ceramic non-stick is inferior to Teflon in use. As for health effects, hard to say. It's my personal opinion that acrylamide is such fucking nasty shit that worrying about the Teflon is just plain silly.

shit thread

Kek

Kys

Meme meme

Hipster

Fuck

>I don't like this thread
>so I will bump it with a shitpost to let everyone know my feelings instead of letting it die

Genius.

Sage goes in all fields?