What's a book that will bring some warmth to the jaded and cynical eyes...

What's a book that will bring some warmth to the jaded and cynical eyes, of a young man who is just tired of the world and doesn't really want to do anything? I mean like a story. Idk what kind of story, but something for me personally. I've grown so tired of everything, I don't really feel like doing anything. I don't feel like going out and making friends, I don't feel like creating anything artistic, I don't feel like trying to pursue a job, oh hell I don't feel like trying to pursue a job. I'm just tired and fed up with the world, I wish that I knew some writers who feel the same, or something that will bring some warmth to my jaded and cynical mind. I feel unamused by just about everything, but I feel like I've been robbed and I'm still owed my due. I'm waiting to wake up in a utopian society 1000 years in the future, where they've saved my brain, and all the hardships and prejudice and stupidity and ignorance of the past is behind me. I don't necessarily want that in the story, but that's really all that I think would make me happy in this life. So what's it gonna be familia?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Disintegration
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It shows the tragic suffering of the human condition and society's indifference to that suffering, and ends by revealing that, in spite of all the badness in the world, there is yet value in our lives.

metamorphosis by franz kafka
the bell jar by sylvia plath
the jungle by upton sinclair
hard times by charles dickens

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

>I'm waiting to wake up in a utopian society 1000 years in the future, where they've saved my brain, and all the hardships and prejudice and stupidity and ignorance of the past is behind me.

Or you could work through all that shit one day at a time like every other human that ever lived you ennui-laden bourgeois twat.

Stoner by John Williams

Palahniuk's Choke. It's an easy, fast read and the main character goes from tired and jaded to, at least, a little bit warm about his surroundings. It's a not a masterpiece or anything similar, but it's a good, short, little piece.

I like that insult
>ennui-laden bourgeois twat
im taking it, thank you

>a young man who is just tired of the world

you just have an attitude problem, mate

what you need is better parents to beat some sense into you

that's a very particular feeling, OP.

maybe Evangelion

it's been years since I've watched that. I should do it again some time, it would probably really impactful still. I hold that show in the highest regard.

Seconding this, I would not be able to deal with existence if it weren't for Evangelion.

I still listen to the end of evangelion soundtrack, it's a masterpiece. I still get chills when I think of that show sometimes, I watched it when I was 16. I'm in my 20s now.

The Subterraneans, Light In August

Religious texts broseph
It's the only solace for a weary mind. Combine it with continuous nature exposure for maximum efficiency

Good Old Neon by meme

This user gets it. It's a book for our tired generation. Feel the hill!

>I'm waiting to wake up in a utopian society 1000 years in the future, where they've saved my brain, and all the hardships and prejudice and stupidity and ignorance of the past is behind me.
Read The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem

Lolita
All Quiet On The Western Front
A Farewell to Arms
Welcome to the NHK

5 books with 5 different settings and the primary theme "humanity is doomed to an eternity of suffering and selfishness we must endure"

Your post reminds me of the Kafka quote from one of his letters, 'a book must be an axe for the frozen sea inside us,' looks like you need that axe now.

I remember feeling pretty much the way you're feeling now about a year ago. At a crossroads but you don't want to take ANY of the paths and they all seem to have more suffering than bliss to offer, so you just want to get it all over with and die. When I was like this, I felt like I'd already seen to the end of my life and nothing could surprise me; I just needed to get life over with.

I don't know if this state is fragile or what, but I'm in pretty much the opposite now. This is going to sound very cringey but at least every day I find myself overwhelmed and almost driven to the point of tears by nature, music, art, or just something someone says to me. I can't really explain how I got here but here's what I've read in the intervening time that I think helped:

>The Road, Cormac McCarthy
>Hero With a Thousand Faces, Joseph Cambell
>Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>random bits from the New Testament and Book of Ecclesiastes
>The Glass Menagerie, Tennessee Williams
>Meditations, Marcus Aurelius

Every one of these books has helped, and if you only read one, make it Hero With A Thousand Faces, because reading it slowly made reevaluate the power that literature, art and religion can have.

And btw any Existentialist will probably help you through this mess but I can't vouch for them actually helping you out of your existential crisis, I only read Existential work after I'd come out of my crisis.

Most importantly, I think reading ANYTHING will bring back into your life the sense that the world might have something more to offer than you yet know.

Also, I've read about this recently, it might be interesting because I think the quintessential Existential crisis is pretty much stage 2:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Disintegration

Ride the Tiger ?

>I'd already seen to the end of my life and nothing could surprise me; I just needed to get life over with.
It's more like I feel like life has so much to offer, but the society we live in so fucked, the school systems are so fucked, the people in it are fucked, jobs are fucked. Just let me get one grip, it's this, the schools don't care about whether or not you know the material and retain the knowledge and get smarter, they only care about making you cram as much material down your throat as possible and then passing and failing you based on how much knowledge you can regurgitate, then probably never use ever again. I'm sorry, but after 12 years of my life, more than half my life doing shit like that, I am institutionalized and I just want to curl into a fucking ball and just go rigor mortis. And the funny thing is? The painful, mind rotting horror of people saying "well that's just what everyone else does, so you should just be happy with working a job and learning because that's what you have to do". I'd rather soak my entire fucking brain in alcohol, like literally take it out of my skull and leave it in a jar of whisky for a week, then take it back out and pit it back in my skull, than go through the fucking system we have in place right now. THIS WORLD IS CRUEL. And fuck you if you don't care, literally just go get sliced into ribbons, get carved by the next Richard Ramirez, you deserve to fucking die if you think there's nothing wrong with this world.

thank you for the recommendations.

you won't be in school forever

The Sickness Unto Death

>Positive disintegration
That's a pretty interesting theory

>but I feel like I've been robbed and I'm still owed my due. I'm waiting to wake up in a utopian society 1000 years in the future, where they've saved my brain, and all the hardships and prejudice and stupidity and ignorance of the past is behind me.
Just kill yourself already you entitled cunt

Call me gay but I felt this way in high school - no motivation, no reason to do anything, "hurr look how much smarter I am than everyone else," etc. I was your basic "depressed" psuedo.

Then I read Candide and for some reason adopted the mindset of cultivating my garden. I'm quite content now. Happy, even.

>THIS WORLD IS CRUEL
do you think it was any less cruel before the school system?

Your world's what you make of it.

>The Sickness Unto Death
I've been out of school for 4 years.