Does it often happen at Western universities that a professor destroys an intelligent student just because he/her does...

Does it often happen at Western universities that a professor destroys an intelligent student just because he/her does not like him/her personally?

How would you react in that situation?

Other urls found in this thread:

insidehighered.com/news/2013/11/25/ucla-grad-students-stage-sit-during-class-protest-what-they-see-racially-hostile
city-journal.org/html/microaggression-farce-13679.html
dailycaller.com/2013/11/26/prof-corrects-minority-students-capitalization-is-accused-of-racism/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not more or less often than in other cultures where education is part of the economic system

It always depends, most of the time if you are confident and give the correct answer the professor is just not able to destroy you because the facts, your knowledge and hopefully your classmates got your back

you live in some utopia where facts rule over the authority

the class does not know the facts or is not sure about them so it is not an objective judge and follows authority and its snarkily remarks

Then you just have to present your facts in a way that is impossible to disagree with.

I wish you were right. Prejudices are stronger than facts and clear presentation.

Never seen it happen. Live in a liberal state at a liberal school (the most stereotypical place for such a thing to occur nowadays) and have never had anything similar to occur.

Professor kind of got jealous because I was cocky and could hold my own at the age of 19. It was a philosophy class though. But I was passionate and challenging and made other students angry because of my Jewish autism. I asked for a recommendation and he never replied. Good times.

Destroys? No. No prof gets so butthurt over a student that they go on a quest to ruin their life.

Are there professors who don't like certain students? Of course. They don't get graded more harshly, they might not get special treatment that they otherwise would have (research openings, etc.) but 99.9% of the time "the prof hates me!" is stupid people shifting the blame for their shit grade onto somebody else.

only in classes that are completely shit tier though.

Professors are not insecure enough to be threatened by undergrads but peers do that a lot. That theory I posted is an excellent example. Rather than give their opinion and moving on a coupe user made it a personal crusade to attack whatever I said at every corner. it was clear that they were butthurt beyond merely thinking my theory was stupid. I think lots of shit posted here is dumb, I don't stay in a thread for weeks calling the person a retard over and over again. Stack exchange which has some actual professors floating around didn't do that insecure shouting down bullshit.

tl;dr of course professors would never do such a childish thing they are way above undergrad brainpower but the people in your class will because they don't like to see other students doing better than them

£100 says one of the still butthurt anons from that thread will post a nasty reply to this post thus spectacularly proving my point.

It can happen. I joined a new professors research group when I was a sophomore, I didn't know much about lab techniques, but I quickly learned and started doing really well in terms of yields and synthesis. He couldn't synthesize compounds, took him like 5 weeks and he still couldn't do it. I did it on my second try he was a little salty cause some of the other faculty asked him about it and he was .

He would try to do some petty things like not write a LoR and say that I could never get into "x" school, so I just left the group and joined faculty another department and the professor actually wasn't a little bitch, and had better connections.

Still got into my top school in the end, made better friends and connections, so in the end it all worked out.

Moral of the story: Don't be a little bitch.

I've had a case of this. A professor was willing to 'help' me publish a paper I was working on in some prestigious journal. I told him it's nowhere near ready and he was like you can't miss this chance you have to wrap it up in three days and send it to me. The work was a mess full of mistakes by the time I sent it to him because he requested to see what I had thus far. He claimed to have found no mistakes after reading, that everything's perfect, that I should just end with bibliography and send, even tho it was a giant pile of shit. I ended up refusing him and taking two weeks to finish it properly. I found two glaringly serious mistakes in it that could have ended my career. I sent it to him after everything was fixed and apparently he forwarded it to an editor he was in quarrel with who just told him to fuck off without even reading it. The professor then gave me the phone number of the editor and told me call him. I never did.

I wasn't even posting in that thread but you should seriously consider ending your life. Good thing you're *kingchem* so you can do it fast and painlessly

In western culture, student destroys you!

Social bullshit will always be bullshit. You want to change things? Shut up and sit down.

user delivers. I want my 100 pounds

just don't be a know-it-all faggot

have some humility

Is there any proof this image is real

>asking for actual proof from /pol/tards
???

I mean, any authority figure could do this really. Some professors are secure enough not to, and then you've got the ones who insist on being called "doctor" and wear their (sometimes petty) emotions on their sleeves.

It rarely carries over to grading though I think, especially in STEM.

I've only seen it happen when a student is a piece of shit anyways. Like I flunked a kid who literally would stand around the Muslim students and brag about being Jewish and how they own Israel. Dude was on the line of D and C and I didn't bump him up.

I feel old. Gone are the days when people would google a claim to see if it was even remotely true before making a smug quip and virtue signalling.

insidehighered.com/news/2013/11/25/ucla-grad-students-stage-sit-during-class-protest-what-they-see-racially-hostile
city-journal.org/html/microaggression-farce-13679.html
dailycaller.com/2013/11/26/prof-corrects-minority-students-capitalization-is-accused-of-racism/

The black man in the picture is Kenjus Waston, a PhD student at UCLA. The professor is Val Rust, a professor there.

Kenjus, and four other "colored" students are/were protesting "microagressions" committed by the "white" students and faculty. One of these microagressions is Val Rust correcting Kenjus grammar on an assignment.

So yes. It is real. Sorry to make you look less pious.

(I put "colored" and "white" students in quotes as they are accusing students of Asian descent, both foreign students from Asia and Asian Americans, of being guilty of whiteness)

Do not reply to namefags

That's the rudest thing I have ever read. But still funny as fuck

How did the professor belittle you again?

Okay thanks

Never responded to you (to my knowledge) though have, for an unknown reason, read the entire thread with the formula you once made as a chem student, I'm not ,

What do you contribute to Veeky Forums, asshole?