Been interested in the Spanish Civil War thanks to Hearts of Iron 4. What are some good books about the war...

Been interested in the Spanish Civil War thanks to Hearts of Iron 4. What are some good books about the war? Non-fiction or fiction is fine.

I've found Homage to Catalonia and For Whom the Bell Tolls so far.

- The forging of a rebel by Arturo Barea
- The Magic Labyrinth series by Max Aub
- Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas
- Requiem for a Spanish Peasant by Ramon J. Sender
- Madrid 1940 by Francisco Umbral
- The Hive by Camilo José Cela

>I'm interested in history because of video games!

Stop

We found the edgy hipster intellectual.

Maybe he was interested in history before, which led him to getting the game, which led him to further interest in the spanish civil war.

Back to tumblr, normie

>Maybe he was interested in history before
Who even cares? Interest in history is interest in history.

And it gets mentioned a lot in the anarchy episode of In Our Time

Grand strategy games are probably the closest videogames are to not being a complete and a total waste of time,

Thanks user

>Stop being interested in history because the way you got interested was wrong!

i found pic related interesting
the same author has written other books about the war

The Spanish Civil War: Revolution and Counterrevolution by Burnett Bolloten

Easily the best book I've come across on the subject.

Stanley G Payne

Revolution and Counter Revolution in Spain felix morrow

You're welcome. Also, for non-fiction try the Spanish Civil War by Hugh Thomas.

Agreed. Crusader Kings 2 forced me to do historical background research on things I probably wouldn't otherwise have had a reason to look up.

A Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell is a great read about his experiences during the Spanish Civil War

CNT in the Spanish Revolution for the anarchist side

Joris Ivens made a film about it, with images he himself recorded called The Spanish Earth. The filme was written by John dos Passos and is narrated by Ernest Hemingway.
This was before dos Passos turned into a reactionary following some bad experiences he and his friends had during the war.

Completely agree. Nothing quite got me into history the way Sid Meyer's Civ games have.
kys.

Anyone read the new Hochschild book about Americans fighting in this war? I recently finished 'King Leopold's Ghost,' and it was fantastic.

i hope you toe rented it

Thanks anons

Spain in Our Hearts? Looks pretty good, will read it.