Is it any good? Seems like an interesting plot, but do I need to start with earlier pynchon...

Is it any good? Seems like an interesting plot, but do I need to start with earlier pynchon? I also read that Gaddis' work had some influence on this, should I read recognitions first?

this is actually the perfect place to start with pynchon.... basically a diluted does of his antics

>pynchon
>good

>diluted does

It's a very good book. Suitable for first-time Pynchon readers and long-time fans alike.

stick to hitchhikers guide

Just finished reading it. Many laughs to be had if you've ever smoked weed and have experience of drug culture. So many great scenes with Bigfoot and Doc.I've never read other detective novels but there was a lot of investigative dialogue to take in. That's not a complete turnoff though and I would read it again.
>Diluted dose
Very true. I want to read gravity's rainbow to get the full dose now.

it's pleb, but better than pynchon

You could start with it, but V. is better. Though Gaddis is great too, and there's a lot of him in Pynchon's early books so reading The Recognitions is fine too.

Crying of Lot 49 is best to start with.

Are the Real Estate Guy and Doc the same people? He was just deluded and being led around by people fucking with him. They mention something about trying to put him away because he was losing it, the old man Wolfman. I felt Doc was also Bigfoots ex-partner too.

No Wolfman and Bigfoot are brothers. And Puck Beaverton is Doc's spiritual advisor I think.

What a load of hooey.

I enjoyed the read, but it's absolutely one of his easier reads. It's not some sort of big metaphysical question raising masterpiece or anything, but it's a well written novel. It's like a John Carpenter movie, technically impressive, great atmosphere and tone, a little bit (okay, quite a bit) of politics, but not some sort of formalistic adventure. Would recommend, 7.5/10.

>OP hasn't heard of the pussy eater special

>I also read that Gaddis' work had some influence on this, should I read recognitions first?
Nope, just the Wikipedia page on this book, which you've already done

inherent vice is much easier to read than earlier pynchons/gaddis. go ahead and start there.

I've bought it soon after PTA announced he was making a film based on it. It's a really fun book, quite different from early Pynchon.

hahahah

not OP but reading Recognition's wiki page really confused me because it made me think that Wyatt's dad was the main character for like 5 hours

It's outta sight

The arguments. The facts. The charisma. I'm convinced.

ur a cheeky cunt m8 ill give u tht