What are the reasons the french are so good at mathematics?

why french are best?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Connes
ted.com/talks/cedric_villani_what_s_so_sexy_about_math#
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's probably in their genes but we can't study it because of politically correct SJW libtards.

Why do the French love showing people their gold coins?

I don't know, are we? What does "good at mathematics" even mean anyway? Cause academically speaking I really doubt your average French math student is any better than another. Even the West African curriculums are way more complicated than ours.

France was the cultural capital of the word right around when lots of modern mathematics was developed. Thus, lots of the math occurred in France, and support for mathematics became part of the culture. This carries over to today.

every stemfag studies math rigorously, and are mixed during the first two years.
THEN you decide if you want to do math.
Most people are confused about what mathematics actually means until they go to university. But then it's usually too late. And you get things like Veeky Forums.

The french just show you what math actually is, and then people choose if they want to do that or not. And only the very best get to do it (ENS competitive exam)

They aren't ashamed of genuine competition and pride.

the work of villani is the same as the one of Perelman?

french are not good at maths, it is the people who come from polytechnique and the 3 ENS who are good at maths.

grothendieck : fields medal and no polytechnique/ens

Serious suggestions:

-France as a way-station between the other power-houses, Britain, Germany, and Switzerland (Euler) and the low countries (Part of Descartes's life). Hypothesis: Individual human beings and ideas necessarily flowed through France on their way hither and thither, before air travel, the internet, etc.

-France is historically white, and white people have the right mix of both intelligence (which brown people lack) and creativity (which asian people lack) which gives rise to meaningful mathematics.

-France hosts the third-largest population of the world Jewry, behind the USA and Israel, and Jews are smart and have capacity for intellectual creativity, alongside the above whites. I briefly inspected the life circumstances of various Fields Medalists in an effort to buttress this claim, and admittedly I only came up with Jewish extraction in the cases of Grothendieck and Laurent Schwartz, men of Jewish extraction who spent significant parts of their lives and careers in France. Of course, Fields medalists comprise an extremely small sample size, and so it is nevertheless telling that I could turn up two examples of "French people of Jewish extraction" out of the few dozen in the sample with minimal effort. However, I should mention that to the OP's point, other Fields Medalists that I looked at were "just French guys", whose extraction I glossed over as it didn't fit the "Jew" meme that I was testing. Their names tended to sound quintisentially White French.

he wasn't good enough to study there.
case in point

If you want to be an elitist, nowadays it's more ENS than polytechnique really.

Please. If you cannot discern appropriate context, then you cannot contribue to the conversation in a meaningful fashion.

Farroq the cab driver and Joe Six Pack do not typically participate in this culture. Of /course/ the average person is not a part of what we are actually discussing. We have only ever been entertaining the elites of this-or-that country, ethnicity, etc, versus the elites of this-or-that other entity. Our universe of discourse is several thousand human beings, however you care to slice it. We are not discussing plebs.

because they start the set of natural numbers with 0

the rest just follows logically

plenty of foreigners go to the ENS

this desu

and they denote intervals with [ and ].

(-1,1) = ]-1,1[
[-1,1) = [-1,1[ etc

Wait what? 0 is not a natural number and (-1,1) is more than just a tuple?
I'm about to study abroad, can I get in trouble for using the French notation?

0 is often not a natural number (this seems to be up to the author, don't know about geographical boundaries) and we use parens for open bounds which looks like a tuple for ranges open at both ends. I have no clue, might want to ask a professor, I would assume they can figure out what the fuck you're doing especially in uni.

Is that Professor Snape?

You're probably fine. In Sweden I have seen both notations in use. I'm not fond of the french one though.

I guess it makes sense, thanks
Nice, I'm actually going to Lund

Only retards get confused by the notation

The french school of mathematics is the best school of mahematics in the world since forever.

Pic related, it's Alain connes, my favorite.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Connes

They need to calculate the perfect time to run away

Who donates money to the IHES here ?

that's German notation as well

these people exist
>gets confused by notation
>wants to become a differential geometer

It seems like Russians and Eastern Europeans on average are stronger than then French, esp. Soviet mathematicians.

Soviet Mathematicians, Jews > Everyone else (on average).

Who the fuck does not do this????

people who write books.

This ]-1,1[ notation hurts my head.

>It seems like Russians and Eastern Europeans on average are stronger than then French
lolno

yep

because they're cuties
it's a Fields medal
French are the most SJW

You should be. Less ambiguous, more reasonable from a visual perspective.

Two hour lectures without breaks. The messiah worked there.

was in the same university in the early 90's
he always had those strange ties
and everybody knew he was a bloody genius

>He gave a TED talk at the 2016 conference in Vancouver.

so Jewish soviet mathematicians are better than other mathematicians?

>0
>not a natural number

Because they have the best toast!

imo, eastern europeans, at least those who were part of soviet are way much better

Hungarians, Bulgarians, Romanians and not to forget.. Russians. That is my general opinion comparing with French.

/Swedish CE student

>Romanians
This x10

>being on Veeky Forums
>not understanding basic evolution

kek

Anyone who knows anything about math, math education sytem, and french culture can see why it's obvious French would have the most top mathematicians. Their culture has a lot more awareness and respect for mathematicians (compare to close to no awareness or respect in the US). They also have a very cutthroat program you can strive for if you are good at math that everyone knows about. This screws over a lot of mediocre to even decent people, but the people who succeed become really good. this is similar to the soviet system (not quite true anymore in Russia).

>t. Román cigány

because real men do Physics instead

I'm pretty sure everyone in europ uses the that notation

>Their culture has a lot more awareness and respect for mathematicians
I'm not sure that's true actually. Most people don't know any mathematician beyond Villani and don't know or care what they do, just as anywhere else.
The prepa and ENS system is most likely the reason: it's free, elitist and very thorough. Besides, the prepa teachers are (usually) extremely dedicated and well-compensated (compared to any other teaching jobs), most of the new ones have phds and all of them have passed a competitive exam for teaching (many with a one-digit rank). This does not mean they are good teachers (though the ones I have had were) but it ensures that they do know their shit and how to put a good lesson plan together, which is all that is necessary since the discipline bullshit does not exist in prepa.

>I'm not sure
so STFU

ted.com/talks/cedric_villani_what_s_so_sexy_about_math#

If real means manipulating a cock across a plane into your mouth then sure.

Same thing I said:

French here, in university it's basically stem.
Only in "prepa" is it really math. and most people who get there just give up after 1 year

what is prepa?

They're doing something the rest of the world isnt in regards to teaching mathematics,maybe a mind set in the way they approach math as a whole from grade school to Uni.

See when you leave highschool ? There's college right ?
Well you can go to prepa, which is some kind of classes for 2 years, that does all the program of mathematics and physics in college, that you'd do in 5 years
Basically training people to be robots

Coffee

>Only in "prepa" is it really math. and most people who get there just give up after 1 year

You're full of shit.

>coffee makes the French great
>they only brink burnt coffee
Okay

Learn your Bourbaki, plébéien.

and what population have you observed exactly?
Because from what I saw eastern europeans are fucking retards.

>Basically training people to be robots
no, training for a competitive exam.
You have to think fast, make no mistakes, and be at least somewhat smart.

Poincare, Cauchy, Laplace, Fourier, Pascal, Descartes, Fermat, Lagrange, Galois, and Grothendieck, all French mathematicians.

Every other country except maybe England objectively has better coffee.

>In 1944, Mandelbrot returned to Paris, studied at the Lycée du Parc in Lyon, and in 1945 to 1947 attended the École Polytechnique, where he studied under Gaston Julia and Paul Lévy.

Interesting to note that Jews are overrepresented in mathematics too. Mandelbrot, Grothendieck, von Neumann, Jacobi, Erdos, Perelman, Weil (also french), Landau, and Gelfand are all prominent, well-known Jewish mathematicians, yet Jews are only 0.001% of the global population. Really makes you think.

That's the diplomatic way of saying "you're wrong"

only after 1945 for some reason.
as if they were leveraging something all of a sudden.

if it were in their genes then the french would be the best at mathematics throughout their lives andso they would do better at the IMO.

As it is they usually do a little bit worse than the UK and quite a bit worse than Germany and Russia.

I think the secret is probably in the fact that to study maths at a top university you basically need to do analysis up to measure theory in post-highschool, not-university schools called prepas then sit an exam to get into mathematics at university after 2 years in prepas.

Which means that when they feel that they're truly in university they're only going to be doing somewhat mature mathematics which will be closer to what is actually being researched.

WE ARE THE BEST BECAUSE WE ARE NOT JEW !

actually they started to become prominent late 1800s,which corresponds to when they started being allowed to become professors at universities

>actually they started to become prominent late 1800s,which corresponds to when they started being allowed to become professors at universities
sure

that's why nobel prizes allocated to jews have gone from 0.5/year between 1901 and 1939 to 2.4/year between 1945 and 2013?

D'ou tu dit sa toi tu croit qu'on est des youtre ou quoi toi

>only in "prepa" is it really math
Nah mate, the 2 first years in Bachelor of Math/Parcours Renforcé provide more mathematical knowledge than a MPSI/MP. Difference is, the students in MP tend to do better, as they were selected in the first place and the others weren't.
>and most people who get there just give up after 1 year
No they don't, did you even go to prepa?
>all the program of mathematics and physics in college, that you'd do in 5 years
What the fuck, then again they don't go much further than a 2-year student, only difference is their curriculim is wider and more general.
Please shut up forever.
Prepas aren't as hard as people would like you guys to think, only some competitive exams that most people don't attend are.

speak american, ya frog

>feed a bad troll

>not feeding the troll in a troll thread

what is this?

did you ever talk to him?

bump

Looks like a chart of Neanderthal burial sites which have been found.

>this triggers the autism