God I fucking hate myself for falling for this meme ass series...

God I fucking hate myself for falling for this meme ass series. The first three were entertaining and I ran through them fast but this motherfucker right here. This piece of shit is straight up torture. I'd rather read a text book backwards than finish this meandering mess of a book.

Martin's editor should be shot.

Cersei's chapters are great though. The most comedic part of the whole series.

Yeah, the reason this one sucks ass is because we don't hear from any characters we care about, it's just about random, unimportant, pretty shitty characters. Especially Hotah.

SUNSET

For genre fiction standards, how is this series? I hear a lot of people shit on it but never hear why.

I'm also tempted to pick up the box set of this book series as I noticed it a few times in those budget book stores in the North of England a lot and, for £15, I want to know if I'd be getting a bargain or if I'd be better just burning my money.

Are the books at least fun?

FOUND

>I hear a lot of people shit on it but never hear why.
As the series got bigger and bigger it became a complete mess. I wouldn't recommend it and I only listened to it to waste some time.

Ok, thank you, Yui

is there like some sort of k-onnaissance at the moment or is it just one dude/dudette

By genre fiction standards it's about average. It starts out as fairly decent mindless entertainment and then it goes down the tubes because the author feels compelled to write a 6000-page epic despite _maybe_ having 500 pages worth of ideas worth putting in a book.

It's not just one guy because I posted a K-On image the other day when starting a thread and then a bunch of people posted K-On images afterwards.

All I can assume is people just like it. IMO it's a pretty infectious series.

>falling for the AFFC is bad meme
Literally has the best writing in the series. The only people who dislike it are autistic over-literalists.

Just keep enjoying it - all the while critiquing your enjoyment along the way - and then you'll eventually gey over it.

It's Wheel of Time tier, in that it starts out intriguing and promising and then devolves into meandering descriptions of irrelevant bullshit

People shit on it because, if you don't like it, it's overlong and overwritten (repetitive phrases, unnecessarily detailed descriptions), the prose is bad, and it strings the reader along, delaying key plotlines and stalling with minor ones.

But that's if you don't like it. I do, and agree only that GRRM overuses repetition (although he does do it with purpose). Other than that, I enjoy the detail (and think it, too, serves a purpose), I find the prose generally adequate, clumsy in places but more frequently excellent. And the complaint about stalling is usually levelled at the fourth and fifth books, as in OP's case, and those are the best in the series so far, with the sixth looking to beat them.

On a first read, it's a good fantasy series. Incomparable to dreck by the recent glut of popular fantasy authors, Mistborn and Kingkiller and the like. The first book especially is low entertainment - there is a leap in vision and prose in the second book, and again in the fourth - but even in the first it holds together in a way most modern commercial fantasy doesn't.

It's on subsequent reads, however, that the full quality of the books reveals itself, though, reveals the breadth and consistency of the plot in its minute machinations, the dense layering of character developments, and the staggering thematic unity of it all. It's a story that just doesn't stop yielding up new revelations.

But if fun is all you want, yeah, it's fun. Consensus seems to be that the first three are thrilling.

nothing more frustrating than reading sex scenes written by a man who clearly has never had sex

>Every other chapter is Cersei and Jaimie's internal thoughts

There are some nice moments but the quality drop is unbearable

>literally nothing ever happens: the book
Get the fuck out you contrarian piece of shit.

HER

>implying cunts don't become the world

SQUATTING