I can't think of a word, Veeky Forums. What's a title to give to like...

I can't think of a word, Veeky Forums. What's a title to give to like, a king's right hand man- a bodyguard/advisor/best friend/greatest warrior/most trustworthy companion?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favourite
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Call him "friend"

Dat boi

Vizier

The prime mate. Then use all the monkey puns you can think of

Consort

GRRM being a lazy fuck just called him the kings's (right) hand

Butt buddy.

Vice King

what's wrong with just using "right hand man"? it is a common enough phrase

otherwise henchman, lackey, crony, retainer etc etc...

main nigga

Hand of the King

liege

Greg

Bottom bitch

they'd probably make them some sort of nobility and/or official

>a bodyguard/advisor/best friend/greatest warrior/most trustworthy companion?

this is too many adjectives to come out with a better title than "right hand man"

liege is wrong, vizier is more advisor than anything else, consort and bottom bitch are the same thing.

vassal might work but it's also not quite right. Retainer is pretty good but not personal enough, same issue as vassal where it's more servile.

make up your own title if it's that much of an issue

Favourite.

>consort and bottom bitch are the same thing.
no they're not. consorts are married to nobility, your bottom bitch is like a maitresse en titre.

if it's something other than right hand man then it's probably favourite.

You are thinking of 'confidante' or 'vizier'.

I'm looking for an impressive sounding title.

These might work.

I was also thinking Vassal but I kind of want a title that only applies to one person at a time.

Yeah I'm thinking Vizier might be it.

Consort is already taken.

sucka sucka

>Consort is already taken.
consort would suit only if that guy also was the king's gay husband, lol

anyway, friend or favourite

vizier, lol, in some languages the chess queen is named after vizier (it's also was its original name, certainly you don't see many queens fighting for their kings who are sitting at home meantime), but then, vizier it's mostly an advisor, a minister... do you see many ministers being also greatest warriors? though it's the problem with your character idea rather

in a medieval world it would be simply some noble who also happens to be a kings' friend and so king allows him to command armies and stuff

>consort would suit only if that guy also was the king's gay husband, lol
I know. It might get gay later. But not now.

I like Vizier but it seems to be an arabic thing, and all the other titles are more european themed.

>though it's the problem with your character idea rather
Yeah I realize I'm trying to put too many adjectives in here, but he's mainly a bodyguard who also happens to be the king's best friend and sometimes advises him.

if you drop that bodyguard part, here it is

>A favourite or favorite (American English) was the intimate companion of a ruler or other important person. In medieval and Early Modern Europe, among other times and places, the term is used of individuals delegated significant political power by a ruler. It is especially a phenomenon of the 16th and 17th centuries, when government had become too complex for many hereditary rulers with no great interest in or talent for it, and political institutions were still evolving. The period 1600–1660 saw particular successions of all-powerful minister-favourites in much of Europe, particularly in Spain, England, France and Sweden.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favourite

also viziers weren't bodyguards too
their european analogue it's minister/king's advisor

my nigga

Jarl, Huscarl or Sven if you want a north Germanic word.

It's less a strictly historical setting and more of a fantasy setting where I get to make up my own political system and titles, I'm just trying to go with a theme. I could bend the rules a little.

Hmm. I'm thinking Vassal might be what I want if I just pretend it's a one person only title.

vassal is cringeworthy as a title
don't expect that people won't know what it really means

Paladin is the correct answer.

I was thinking that maybe, but again, that's a title for more than one person at a time.

Mushroom

Call him the king's Mushroom

Ha ha

>These might work.
Don't use either of these two. 'Liege' doesn't make sense, because a liege is a superior. 'Vizier' is an Islamic term and I'm guessing your setting is Western.

Came here to say this, it's the closest real-world thing. Alternatively, just make up a word, because there isn't a word that means all of the things you described. Think about it this way: if you were the king, and you wanted to give your best friend an official title with some power that still let him be close to you and protect your life, what would you call this new position you just invented? Personally I would go with 'Royal Secretary.' 'Magister' or 'Chancellor' are possibilities but Secretary better describes his duties.

When Diocletian reformed the government of the Roman Empire, he gave himself and another man the title 'Augustus,' and they each had a junior partner with the title 'Caesar.' These titles had of course started out as his predecessors names, and where before Diocletian's reign they were essentially honorifics, he invented new positions and assigned those titles to them.

This, favorite is good. Second might work.

Champion
Thane
Royal Shield Bearer
Idk

Prime Minister.

Meaning, "first lesser." Magister (master/greater) is one rank ahead of minister, so would correspond to the king.

Maybe just simplify it to "the king's First" or "the king's First Man."

There are so many fucking britbongs shitting up this thread. it's burning my eyeholes

...are you trying to think of Majordomo?

That's actually really funny

Majordomo. That is the correct answer.

no

Majordomo is just a contrived way of saying "butler". Google translate "mayordomo" from spanish.

vizier only works in certain time periods in some parts of asia minor. most of the time the english equivalent is viceroy, which is a different thing to what you're going for in general.

Assistant regional manager

kek'd

Houseman

Kingsman

The royal second

Jack

Chamberlain?

I looked up Agrippa, they referred to him as Augustus's lieutenant.

assistant TO the regional manager

Royal Captain

>lieutenant.
Simplest. It literally means placeholder, or second in command.

Steward?

It sounds like whatever you're working on will suck so you should probably give up and stop worrying about it

nedim in arabic, nöker in mongolian/turkish. but it is more a "companion", with or without all those attributes you want

I second this, I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Chief retainer

First Minister
Field Marshal
Or make him a duke/earl/viscount/baron/count/lord of some description. I think a lot of the "sidekicks" for royals in medieval Europe would have been nobles such as these.

A viceroy rules in the king's stead. Otherwise, he's just an advisor.