Hey Veeky Forums how's your local farmer's market doing?

hey Veeky Forums how's your local farmer's market doing?

i don't feel too good about going to mine here in salt lake city.

it's held in pioneer park, which is basically our skid row. it's where all the druggies, homeless, hookers, and other filth normally congregate.

i don't want risk getting stabbed by an HIV needle just to get some heirloom tomatoes.

expensive and full of old assholes

Pike Place has been running for over 100 years so it's been going well. I live in Queen Anne and have yet to go to the local farmer's market there though. Should be interesting because Queen Anne has a lot of granola yoga Lululemon moms.

Pretty terrible thanks to some bullshittery.

>have a farmers market downtown
>local business association runs it, hires someone to manage it
>decide to tell the vendors to not fucking park on the street in front of it so people driving past see that it's open and can easily stop in
>vendors bitch about it
>bitch who was running it decides to start her own like a few blocks away
>takes about half the vendors with her
>city council is fine with it because they're useless cunts
>both markets suffer
>meanwhile another nearby city starts a farmers market with blackjack and hookers
>lose even more vendors
>cunts running the city basically force the markets to merge and have the bitch run it

Long story short, there's maybe one or two vendors left who actually sell produce. The rest is tacky crafts type stuff. One block is fucking blocked off pretty much every Saturday during the summer, which is fucking amazingly terrible for the downtown businesses.

Oh, and we're pretty sure the bitch embezzled a decent chunk of money (when she was managing it on behalf of the business association) from the vendor fees but we can't prove anything.

>Oh, and we're pretty sure the bitch embezzled a decent chunk of money (when she was managing it on behalf of the business association) from the vendor fees but we can't prove anything.

You can anonymously report people to the IRS.

my grandma lives near Stratford, Ontario. That market is amazing. It's expensive, but she is rich as fuck and gets ripped off by she thinks they are all her "friends." I bike to the St.Jacobs market when it's nice out and they have one of the best in Ontario. Nice people. I buy my weed from a farmer there. $120 an OZ.I also buy moonshine and beer from this farmers wife. Shits bomb af.

A total sham. It's just imported deli stuff, no local farmers involved.

one stop shop

If you're still on, there is one in the University District every Saturday morning on University Way.

It is pretty good. I live in Greenlake so it is a short walk from where I live.

Fuck crafts vendors. All I want is nice produce, not a shitty bracelet.

hey m8, london ont here.

the market here is ok, you can get great deals if you go about 30 mins before closing

The Amish and Mennonites who travel into the city to run it are worse than Jews when it comes to their prices. $5 for a pint of tomatoes? $6 for a dozen eggs? $7 for a quart of goat's milk yogurt? $8 for a basket of apples? Yeah, no. Fuck all that noise.

And get this shit: this is a city of 1.5 million people and the nearest Amish community is about a 75 minute drive away. Why the fuck are their bitches shopping at my local big city supermarkets if their stuff is so much better? I see them all up and down the aisles buying sacks and sacks and sacks of fruit and veg and shit. Now, I'm not saying that these people are rolling that store-bought produce in dirt and putting them in baskets to sell at the farmer's market, but something doesn't smell right about the whole situation. I mean: if Amish apples are so much better than conventionally harvested apples, why the fuck are these snood-and-bonnet-wearing bitches buying them at the local Megalomart?
>and yes, i know they're amish and not orthodox jews

>if Amish apples are so much better than conventionally harvested apples, why the fuck are these snood-and-bonnet-wearing bitches buying them at the local Megalomart?

Because they can sell the Amish apples for $8 a basket to rubes.

This.

The ones where I live, Austin Texas are pretentious, expensive and really just people jerking each other off about their contributions to mother Gaia. If I drive to my folks house, those are legit farmers trying to make some money and the quality is generally much better because they've actually been farming their entire lives.

I'm up in Maine, Orono specifically visiting friends and overall the markets I've seen blow ours out of the water. If any Maine people are on I like your state a lot, plus legit seafood and good beer, but Michigan has you beat.

Miami here. Same, it's in mid town and don't want to get killed buying a cucumber.

>Why the fuck are their bitches shopping at my local big city supermarkets if their stuff is so much better

Maybe because, as you said, their nearest community is 75 minutes away. Maybe their produce is better, but they don't always have enough to supply themselves and sell at the market.

>>if Amish apples are so much better than conventionally harvested apples, why the fuck are these snood-and-bonnet-wearing bitches buying them at the local Megalomart?
>Because they can sell the Amish apples for $8 a basket to rubes.
The best Florida oranges aren't at Publix. They're the ones sent out by, for instance, Harry & David christmas boxes, and direct to consumer at top dollar.

I have two.

One of them is open every day and their stock is a mix of actual locally-grown in season stuff, as well as normal supermarket produce that they order in.

The other one is literally a "farmer's market". It's held once a month in a parking lot and the vendors are literal local farmers. Alas, I don't go that one very often because it's a rather long and inconvenient drive. Plus, my local supermarket has a killer produce section, as does the local Asian supermarket so those two are where I usually get produce from.

I live in Brooklyn, so I have five farmers' markets to choose from depending on which direction I want to go. The nearest one to me is a couple of farms and an orchard. Prices are higher than supermarket, but quality is way better for in season stuff like garlic, potatoes, apples, pears, tomatoes, melons and the like.The big one near me has locally caught seafood, artisan cider and seriously good cheese sold by the people who make it. Prices there are very much in the luxury range. But at least the quality of what they're selling is high.

pretty good actually, there are plenty of stands with cheap, quality produce, and it's right next to Trader Joes, so I can get some cheap wine and chicken legs while I'm there

I live in wv and like to go to butlers farm market. Pretty cheap and a lot of it is grown there. Got some broccoli and potatoes there this morning.

It sounds great, but I'll pass on going to the U-District. Too many kids.

Are you 60 or something? I dislike people in general but I still go out and socialize.

Also, there are a lot of mature adults that go there.

I haven't been to Salt Lake in ages. I'm glad Pioneer Park is the same.

I'd rather go out to Capitol Hill to socialize.

I keep forgetting to start going to Capitol Hill again.

Nice area. Just a bit too crowdy and dirty in some parts.

Same thing here in Seattle exccept it is called 'Pioneer Square'.

There is a really good, small eatery that serve warm, comfy meals on 3rd Avenue and Yesler Way.

it's going on right now a mile from my house
i don't really wanna go though because i'm lazy and hungover

I'm here in sanfrancisco where there's a farmers market each week on Saturday. A lot of really good if expensive (like literally fucking everything ) food . Lots of free samples . Really good selection of everything from produce to cheese to really good mushrooms and meats. Pretty cool place . I'll post pics of thread is still alive when I get there. Pic related it's the building on the shore with all the tents .

Mushrooms from SF farmers market

And some sprouted stuff .

The one in my actual town is decent at best, but incredibly badly located (it's a pain to get to by car and near damn impossible on public transit).

The large one in the town over is great. Good mix of local produces, some resellers for the stuff that doesn't grow here, couple of butchers, spice store, bulk store.

I go often enough that I know roughly witch seller will have what/when and who has good prices (just got 13 lbs of pears for 5$, as an example)

i sucked it the fuck up and went down and got some veggies
>yams
>bell peppers
>purple taters
and some really excellent green zebra tomatoes
try them sometime if you're unfamiliar, they've almost got a lime undertone

this this this.

pretty decent. my sous runs a little knife sharpening operation down there on wed & sat

give that dude a cinderblock of a knife and he'll turn it out sharp enough to make thiers-issard jealous. charges a buck an inch on the knife measured from the point to the bolster.