I'm craving a meatball sub, so hand over your best meatball and marinara recipes!

I'm craving a meatball sub, so hand over your best meatball and marinara recipes!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/33tOwPFPm6E
youtube.com/watch?v=zVbkC6eMNtA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

please respond

Responding . .

No.

youtu.be/33tOwPFPm6E my favorite

Don't forget the Teriyaki sauce!

Or the olives!

>Jamie Oliver
a bit of olive oil

Some red onions and yeah, I'd fuck that up.

>best meatball
For sub purposes, it's easiest to use 50% italian sausage, preferably with fennel in the recipe, and ground beef. Finely chopped onion, peppers or mushrooms to taste. Add some bread crumbs, optional egg, and parm to the meatball mixture in there to hold those juices that cook out a bit. You need egg for larger balls that might fall apart if you handle them too much or use too much filler. Brown them in a skillet, good turning for even browning. You can bake them if you have large batches to make, but I'd recommend a roll in olive oil and breadcrumbs to add browning in the oven. Remove excess fat from the pan and then you lid on with some marinara in the skillet to simmer on low til tender.
I like to garlic toast the bread/roll first, and then cheese on top and run under the broiler. Smoked provolone adds a lot more flavor than mozzarella alone.

Nah just his channel.

From Italy here.
Traditional is to use breadcrumb, but I find I like it better with maizena, so that's what I use.

80% lean beef mince, 1kg
Parmigiano, grated, 3/4 cup
Egg, 2-3
Parsley, freshly chopped, 1-2 handfuls of leaves
Garlic, finely minced, several cloves
Salt, to taste
>yes, taste the raw mixture or, if you're a pussy, cook a little bit and taste that
>I cheat, actually, and use beef stock powder instead of salt, but plz don't tell the food police
Maizena, 3/4 cup or so + extra for dusting
>or breadcrumb, if you want traditional, though you'll still need the maizena for dusting

Combine all ingredients but salt and maizena.
Salt to taste.
Stir in maizena until it just comes together.
Using a disher, scoop out 25-50g portions and roll into balls and set aside.
Dust the balls in maizena then simmer in tomato sauce until cooked through.
That's it.

As for the tomato sauce,
onion, chopped, 1 large
garlic, minced, 4-5 cloves
salt, as necessary
olive oil, 60-80ml (about a quarter to a third cup)
wine, 1 cup
tomatoes, whole, peeled plum-shaped variety, 800g (tinned is great)
basil, fresh leaves, a handful or two

Place onion and garlic in a sauté pan and salt generously.
Add oil and set to high heat.
When fragrant, watch for first signs of colouring then add a third of the wine.
Reduce back out and watch for first signs of browning then add half the remaining wine.
Reduce back out and watch for first signs of caramelisation then add all the remaining wine.
Reduce back out; meanwhile, purée the tomatoes.
Add the purée and stir through.
Bring to the boil then allow to reduce either at high heat, stirring near constantly, or low heat undisturbed.
When reduced by about half or so, off the heat, stir in basil and adjust salt to taste.
Yields roughly 2 cups of sauce, which is four portions as condiment for pasta.

And as for sandwiches, I've never had meatballs in a sandwich, though it sounds pretty good.

thanks subway

[Maizena is a brand of Corn Starch, for everyone else.]

CAn you do this without the peppers

>it's easiest to use 50% italian sausage
Would a 50% veal 50% pork mince work

No, it creates mustard gas.

I only suggested sausage as it's pork that is preseasoned. Of course you can use your own meat choice, just get some italian seasonings in there :)

So it doesn't really matter what kind of meat you use? Essentially I can use beef, veal and pork all together?

You need some fat in there otherwise the texture will be horrible & they might fall apart. So pork is usually always part of the mix. But yeah, you certainly can put beef and veal in there too.

As long as it's meat and it's ground, you can make meatballs. It tends to work better if it's not too lean, though. You probably wouldn't want to make meatballs out of just ground chicken breast, for instance.

All the recipes I can find for marinara usually have them finished in under an hour.

I thought these things had to simmer for hours to get real good?

It depends entirely on local and family tradition.
Where I'm from, using pork mince in meatballs is entirely unheard of but mixing fatty veal breast with lean beef rump is common though in my family, we just used fatty beef. I'm not sure if any part of the country uses pork in meatballs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. In my area, at least, we generally use pork mince exclusively for sausages and dumplings.

In the mountains to the south, there's a minority group, refugees from the Ottoman empire who resisted Islamic conversion, who have combined some of their native traditions with ours. They make meatballs with lamb mince but poach them in tomato sauce the same way we do. That's pretty nice, too, but I doubt that would go well in a sandwich, necessarily.

What I'm really trying to get across is that there's really no wrong way to make a meatball, IMO, so long as it's a ball and it's made of meat.

>I thought these things had to simmer for hours to get real good?

Yep. You've just discovered a key fact: That the majority of recipes you'll see for just about anything are, in fact, crap.

Yes. You can do what you want. You can even use turkey italian sausage. Your choice!

The reason the beef, veal, pork combo isn't as much is fashion as it used to be for popularity is price of veal and ethical reasons to use animals were a big deal in the media. Pork is a no-no for customers as much as veal, to the religious and health concious both.
So, yes, do what you want. Let your tastebuds guide you once you decide what you like best.

Marinara isn't a catchall term for a tomato sauce.

>All the recipes I can find for marinara usually have them finished in under an hour.
Keep in mind the earliest origins of the recipe in cookbooks have this sauce what we'd consider as a tomato salsa, ie chunky and fresh. What you find today is anything goes.

Also keep in mind that in the past...people enjoyed tomatoes seasonally fresh, and only when in season, or they canned their gardens for use when the tomatoes weren't in season, and those would be more cooked sauces. For us in modern day, tinned tomatoes can be the ones that are the most ripe when frozen in time, versus some kind of supermarket gassed to redness kind of tomato that was a variety renowned for its ability not to be turn to mush when shipped for long distances whole.

What is marinara sauce? Whatever you want it to be, obviously, it's not the same thing though as a simmered for ages ragu or sunday gravy. But who said a meatball sub needs to be marinara only? No one. If you have some image in your head of a particularly enjoyable meatball sub you had once, then try to recreate that, whether it was chunky tomato sauce with lots of meat in it, something light and pureed. Zesty with lots of paste, or just full of garlic. Your call dude. It's not a traditional recipe to duplicate like caesar salad or carbonara. It's more like fettuccine alfredo status at this point. Use your cream and your rosemary. It's about your tastes.

Looks great
>Red wine
fug, i don't want to go buy a bottle of wine

Sauce:

2 can of tomato sauce
1 can of tomato paste

Mix it together

-salt
-basil
-oregano
-red pepper flakes
-onion powder
-garlic powder

now that's what i call easy sauce

I find premade sauces like jarred or tinned very sweet, and started enjoying tomato sauce a lot more once I started buying cans of whole tomatoes (peeled) and crushing them/running them through a food processor first, and simmering until thickened

v deep senpai

bump

BALLS:
1 lb ground lamb
1 lb ground pork
2 eggs
Breadcrumbs, 4C Italian seasoned, enough cover the top of the meat very lightly. Add more later if you think t needs it. (It will).
A heaping spoon of roast garlic
Maybe another half spoon too, that shit is great
Cover the top of the meat with fresh basil chopped/torn fairly small
Fresh black pepper, more than you think it needs
Salt, less than you think it needs
Oregano, a little less than a teaspoon
Parmesano Romano, half a cup, powdered

Over to 375 F. Mix it up, roll into 1 inch balls, roll each in a small bowl with a bit of olive oil in it, set on an oiled wire rack on a fairly deep sheetpan, put like a cup of water in the pan. Dust the balls with salt, oven until they get a decent crust going.

SAUCE:
3 onions, dice and cook in olive oil and salt on medium until translucent
2-3 anchovy fillets and a teaspoon of the oil added, mash up the fillets and mix in until they basically melt
More roast garlic and 5-6 cloves fresh garlic, minced fine stirred in. cook until garlic is fragrant, then add tomatos.

1 Big tin crushed roma (plum) tomatos
1 small tin roasted tomatos, or about a cup and a half of your own roasted tomatos
3 peeled, seeded, and chopped roma tomatos
Half a small tin of water
Stir to mix

Bring to just about a boil, put in 5 bay leaves, cover for 30 mins but do not let it boil. Stir occasionally. Reduce to simmer, uncovered, anywhere from 2-6 hours. It gets better with more time.

Remove bay leaves before serving, stir in oregano and torn basil.

Forgot to say to put the meatballs in the sauce when you reduce the heat.

>tomato chunks are icky!
are you 6 years old?

youtube.com/watch?v=zVbkC6eMNtA

these are easily the best meatballs i've had

well memed

>All these sauces ITT
Which one to choose?

Thanks reddibro

>are you 6 years old?
Fuck off, man. Paste is good when you're expecting paste, and chunks are good when you're expecting chunks. Like the other guy said, marinara is very vaguely defined.

Also, chunky sauce for meatball sub is no good

Try making barbecue balls. Delicious.

Yeah, I can't go to Subway for this reason.
Also, they "toast" the sandwich after the meatballs and chunk marinara have already been stewing all day. So it's too hot to eat and the cheese is liquified
Toast the fucking bread separately, niggers. Their original hot sandwich and they butcher it every day since the toasting meme took root.

They don't force you to toast it dude.

bump

Use all beef meat.

DO NOT USE BREADCRUMBS! If you want the most tender juicy meatball you've ever had...use 1 cup of loosely packed, broken pieces of white bread, crust removed, per pound of meat.

When starting with the white bread in a bowl, top with 1/3 cup of minced onion so the juices moisten the bread for about 10 minutes. Then proceed to add your ground BEEF, seasonings, 1egg and cheese per pound of meat.

The sauce is really secondary as long as you use white bread for your meatballs.

Use Italian style hoagie rolls.

Yeah, but the average 4channer is too socially anxious to make such a request, even though it's really fucking basic.

don't forget the olive oil.

Try one, meatball parm sandwiches are good. Get a loaf of good white bread and slice it submarine-style. Make sure to add some sauteed peppers, onions, maybe some mushrooms, and provolone, and toast it a little so the cheese melts. For extra flavor, hit that bread with some garlic butter and/ or some fresh basil.

I highly suggest throwing a cube of mozzarella and some minced garlic in the center of the meatballs first. I did this with chicken meatballs and it was fire!

That poster here.
We have something similar, it's just not meatballs. Rather, it's brisket. We stew/simmer/braise (not sure which is the right word in English here) a brisket in that same tomato sauce recipe I gave above and, once cooked and falling apart, we remove it and pull it into shreds.
Slice open a small bread, line it with sliced cheese of choice (provola is most common, but whatever you like it fine), top it with brisket, top that with a spoonful of sauce and grated parmigiano.

It's also popular as panuozzo, which is a baked-to-order sandwich IE you ask the place for one and they bake a piece of pizza-like dough for you fresh, split it and fill it. As panuozzo, it's usually got basil leaves in it, as well.

And I misspoke when I said I'd never had a meatball sandwich. Vietnamese meatball sandwich is one of my favourite things.

I just made a sauce and it's hot as fuck.

Maybe I shouldn't have put the chili seeds in with the chili