Even though I spend most of my time reading and contemplating metaphysical philosophy...

Even though I spend most of my time reading and contemplating metaphysical philosophy, but all I want to do is write exciting pulp styled action adventure stories about larger than life archetypal heroes and sinister villains. I'd lightly weave my philosophical beliefs into the framework of my stories, but for the most part I just want to write about eccentric ship captains battling ancient sea monsters and savvy archaeologists battling greedy treasure hunters at the sites of ancient ruins. '

I want someone to share this sentiment and talk about their pulp adventure fantasies with me

do you boo

Fair enough I guess.

Sometimes I think about how much I'd enjoy writing a straight up Y.A. trash novel for teens

Share your feelings with me user. I'm in the same ship with you. I just have this urge to write unironic tales of heroism and villainy.

Go ahead user. Culture is founded on pulp, I just hope you make your millions

I wanna fuck a Vallejo chick's butt.

Just make it be an allegory or some metaphor of some sort for some hipster philosophy and both of your sides may be satiated.

I have an idea for a book, which will deal with relationships and death of loved ones. Themes will mostly be grief, mental illness and a bit of Zen philosophy, all of which will be challenged.
>I won't give you the premise tho

Me too. All I want to write about are Red Sonja knockoffs going on cool adventures and having meaningless conversations with randos in cozy opium dens.

Good, keep it mysterious

I know of three authors associated with the rationalist community (unrelated to atheism, just a bunch of people interested in philosophy and removing biases from their thinking) that you might be interested in:

Wildbow, whose magnum opus so far is Worm, a very long and grim superhero/villain story about a girl who can control bugs.

Alicorn, who writes lots of cute and philosophical short fantasy/sci-fi fiction and pulpy fantasy stuff. Alicorn.elcenia.com -> Stories. I like Muse and Rings.

Nostalgebraist, who is known for Floornight, which can't really be described as anything but "Neon Genesis Evangelion if it was originally imagined as a book," and The Northern Caves, a nicely laid out story of a group of kids on a forum finding out that the book they obsess over has a little more meaning to it than they imagined. Both can be heavy reading at times but are very fun.

You might also check out Cordyceps by Benedict_SC.

What is their conception of rationalism as a philosophy? How do they weave it into their stories?

The old PKD method

Rationality, condensed, is a set of general methods for decision making. It's about knowing what errors in thinking are common and how to detect and correct for them. It's about realizing when you are confused or motivated by bad instincts. If you want to make good decisions, you first have to not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person for yourself to fool.

The main hub of rationalism used to be lesswrong.com, and the core texts ("the Sequences") are still there for those who want to read them.There was a diaspora several years ago and the community split. Out of it came the Center for Applied Rationality, the Center for Effective Altruism, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute, and lots of other stuff. Everyone basically has their own blog now and there's an IRC, a lively tumblr community, and lots more.

To answer your question, Wildbow doesn't incorporate it, really. Alicorn writes lots of small, Philip K. Dick-esque stories with twists to them, and Nostalgebraist's fiction is chock full of all sorts of themes.

The rationalist with the most online presence is psychologist blogger Scott Alexander, who runs the blog Slatestarcodex. He's in the middle of writing a web serial called Unsong, which is located at unsongbook.com. It's an AU where Christianity turned out to be true and mankind accidentally broke the crystal sphere surrounding the Earth when they launched the Apollo mission.

Damn, is it worth it to get into this philosophy blogging scene? I mean, I guess that's what I'm already doing here, just anonymously and everything I write is deleted after a few hours

Read slatestarcodex's essay "meditations on Moloch" and see if you like it. If you do, you'd probably like the rest of it.

Pulp is filled with /pol/tier ideas about gender roles and pushes dangerous ideas about men (eg, they should "protect" and "save" women, something that contributes to rape culture)

Maybe try twisting the genre OP, have a female protagonist, or have a male who realises traditional ideas of masculinity are stupid and dangerous and instead embraces new masculinity.

>No dashing smuggler stories to sweep you off your feet
>No daring space crew making a light speed jump on empty with no idea where their going
>No band of misfits traveling throughout the realm righting wrongs and becoming a family

I feel you OP

>You’re right; women are great actors. But I can’t agree with you in your statement that the great women can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Men have sat at the feet of women down the ages and our civilization, bad or good, we owe to the influence of women.

-Robert E Howard

The rest of the letter is a passionate defence of the deeds and accomplishments of great women throughout history

Stop shitting up all the threads you can lay your grubby hands on you bastard, we know you're baiting.

I wish to write a book or make a film with very weird characters from different fantasy tropes but in drama genre with really serious or sad (or even weirdly happy) story. Literally just take some drama film and chnage characters appearance to some weird creatures, switch the settings etc etc.

What drama stories were you thinking about specifically?

I don't know about this particular sect of internet philosophy blogs, but I like the general context of what they do.

I'm in the same boat. I mostly read philosophy, and my favorite books are nonfiction, but when I'm not reading that, I'm jotting down hundreds of ideas for an adventure I want to write. The big story idea I'm working on now, I've been working on the outline for since about 2 months now, but it's based on outlines I've written for other ideas over the span of the past several years. It is heavily inspired by other creative works that I love, but also significantly inspired by the philosophy that I read.

Unfortunately, I'm a neurotic. It takes me a lot of time to plan and outline, and I'm always changing my ideas.

I've been doing the same thing user, working on this story about a deep sea research station and a submarine captain who is the head of an exploration team that operates within in. It started out as a bit of whimsical fun, but then I became artistically obsessed with it's every detail.

>Rationalist Community Fanfic
HPMOR was enough to make me flee that shitshow.

I honestly have a deep distaste for rationality as philosophy myself, especially when applied to clearly fictionalized concepts.

Bump for survival

Sounds cool user. What's the atmosphere supposed to be like? Creepy/horror, or more on the adventurous side? Mystery?

Also, was writing your first choice as a means to tell your story? For me it wasn't, but I chose it because like you I'm artistically obsessed with every little detail. I nonetheless want to have some kind of illustrations throughout my book, impressionistic line art to complement certain scenes, since I'm a very visual person.

>tfw I study similar things but I write Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser knockoff Howard-esque schlock fiction about two ultimate bros who go on adventures in my spare time