Why haven't we ever drilled down to the earth's core?

Why haven't we ever drilled down to the earth's core?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole
ship-technology.com/projects/chikyu/
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/earthole.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because it's summer

I think it would it explode

That's where skeletons live.
As a species, we're not nearly united enough for a threat like that.

Flat earth. No core

This. Do you want the earth to squeeze all of its core out all over you and rip to shreds like a balloon?

The pressure and heat would destroy anything we can create. There's magma in veins branching out all over as well. At some point you'll be filling your hole with it and there's no way to avoid it or clear it away from your area. Even the hardiest equipment would be ruined quickly.

There is no vehicle or material we have ever designed which would be anywhere near able to achieve such a feat. It would either overheat and fail, or be crushed and fail.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole

So, there's so much pressure in that core that molten iron is solid. As in: it's heated well past its melting point, and then rendered solid by sheer compression.

All other challenges aside, there's no conceivable way we could keep a hole from collapsing under that much pressure.

its like they've never even seen "the core (2003)"..

so we're just lazy as fuck

It would let all the gravity out

really ?

>So, there's so much pressure in that core that molten iron is solid. As in: it's heated well past its melting point, and then rendered solid by sheer compression.
Isn't this just conjecture, or are we sure the pressure at the very center is within known realms of science?

They have reason to believe the inner core is solid and the outer core is liquid. Something about tests with seismic waves or some such.

Cause its hot. And not in the good way.

Yeah, the iron. If you drill a hole in it, it loses a lot of it's mass, and the gravity dissipates from the lack of density.

>flat earth
>it has mountains
explain this

Then I have a new life purpose >:^)

You can't even drill into the mantle. Drills can only go so deep, at which point the torsion simply twists the strongest materials before they can dig another centimeter. The longer your drill bit, the more this torsion force becomes a problem.

Oh you say, we will just make the hole bigger and sink the entire drill down into it, drilling and expanding as we go.

Sure ok, but the rock will get extremely hot and plastic before it gets molten, so you still havent even penetrated the crust. This intense heat kills the drill and the drill operator, by the way. Even with robotics, the heat increases the effects of torsion forces by reducing the strength of the materials in the drill.

So you just can't do it. Good thing too, you dont want to let out all the reptilians and their mega-dinosaurs, do you?

I hope its fucking educating yourself.

ill just put a pipe through the core and put the end of the pipe to space >:^)

Hight is an illusion

So, what, we should just give up and stop trying? Fuck you. We need to keep making progress.

Underrated

how about lasers ?

>you don't want to let out all the reptilians and their mega-dinosaurs, do you?

Has science gone too far?

apparently so is your grasp of the english language

ur'e false

have you ever tried drilling through the Atlantic ocean? the mantle is a sort of liquid. like custard. cant exactly drill through it

It would work somewhat like a putting a plastic straw into a lighter flame, except the plastic straw doesnt kill a million people when it collapses under its own weight.

Thats what I keep telling your mom. Shit's bottomless, yo.

A space based laser that harnessed the power of the sun could conceivably do it, but the heat would end up cooking the atmosphere before you actually reached the core so whats the point.

Can it ever go far enough?

Find something that can drill to the core and I'll do it for ya

The mantle is solid bruh.

It will be hard (no pun intended)

Memes aside the crust is full of very tough minerals such as as diamonds. Diamonds are the hardest metal known to man so you will need diamond to dig past diamond.
Diamond metal is expensive.

Sadly, such funding is not a diamond dozen

Geology student here. We're trying

ship-technology.com/projects/chikyu/

First mission failed. Looking for sponsors for another try.

I was never into earth sciences but I always found this result and methodology fucking fascinating.

Just do it yourself then if you think it's so easy.

Why even drill, just build a submarine made out of diamonds and then drop it into a volcano. From there you could swim straight down to the core.

>Why even drill

*puts out cigarette*

Heh... why do anything. Not like there's oil there making it a revenue-producing venture or anything.

*puts out cig*

But, maybe, kid... heh...

*puts out cig*

...we'll figure out what this wild ride's about ;)

*looks down contemplatively*

*picks sunglasses out of pocket and puts them on*

*drives off on the motorcycle I was always sitting on into the sunset*

>but I always found this result and methodology fucking fascinating

Yes, it's called mathematics. It is indeed very interesting.

Because we cannot allow the Fygars and Pookas to escape to the surface.

Why not just build a robot drill like the thing in the matrix with cubic boron nitride or tungsten carbide blades coated with diamonds?

Because that sounds stupid as fuck user. FFS

>he thinks we are on a table top like some giant game of escrimas.
Top kek going my sides are going super saiyen
>Super Goyoyim

>we ever drilled down
What do you mean by "we", Peasant?

We can actually produce those pressures in a lab; just only for very small samples of material. So we're not entirely ignorant of the physics of materials under those conditions.

Also, I believe that we can deduce stuff about various layers by how seismic waves propagate though the earth. I think that's how we discovered the mantle/outer core/inner core structure?

ayy lmao

>At some point you'll be filling your hole with it
I'll fill your hole bb

Russians tried to get into the mantle once. At a certain point they had to stop because it got so hot in the borehole that molten rock kept flowing back in

See: Kola Superdeep Borehole

There are some depths you shouldn't dig to

&

Why don't we nuke ourself down there

If the drill can make it until the rock gets soft then you can continue without the drill. Just push a pressurized caisson downwards, the soft rock and eventually liquid rock will simply be pushed out of the way. Sure you still need to withstand the heat but at least this way all your equipment is is a simple tube as opposed to a complex drilling mechanism so you would get further.

Lets assume we made it and drilled a hole (strong and heat resistant pipe) through the earth. What would happen if you jump into it?

!![]!!

You would run into the side. Or rather the side would run into you as the earth spins

> What would happen if you jump into it?
You would fall.

>pure autism

I keked

If the mantle is custard then why is there still world hunger? We could drill for custard in third world countries, start feeding the niggers our planets custar.... Nevermind dont let the niggers steal any custard

If you poke a hole in the container, the custard will start going bad. There's already enough food to feed the world, the majority of it rots.

This

>Not realizing how much pressure it took to get this stuff to stick together the first place

You would be attracted to the heaviest lumps of inner earth near you as you fell, eventually ricocheting around until you found a resting point where all the lumps are pulling on you uniformly.

>the majority of it is thrown away after we subsidize farmers for it

FTFY

At which point it then rots

>hardest metal known to man
Last time I looked, graphite was the carbon allotrope with the most metal-like properties.

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/earthole.html

we tried
>pic related, the kola superdeep borehole