What's your stance on writing in the margins of books you own?

What's your stance on writing in the margins of books you own?

Other urls found in this thread:

maebrussell.com/Articles and Notes/How To Mark A Book.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I only do so in school textbooks. Typically in the form of doodled penises and racist epithets in regards to any color people depicted.

same

I'm not gonna lie, this is literally me.

I have never done it, and never will. My mother was a librarian.

it's my fucking book i can impregnate if i want get sucked cockfyxker

I once wrote a poem to express my teenage love on my sociology text book in high school. Teacher ended up teaching that page and then ask me did i write that poem. It was cringe af and i never wrote on anything not mine again.

>not writing spoilers on the first page for future generations

I underline in my novels sometimes, and underline/highlight/make notes in my philosophy books.

I used to, but whenever I reread something I had written in, I always found my notes to be misguiding, distracting, or flat out wrong. I don't take notes anymore so every reading experience can be fresh.

The most i do is underline. That's mostly just a habit from when I was in college, though. It's now hard to read without a pen in my hand.

maebrussell.com/Articles and Notes/How To Mark A Book.html

I don't understand it. I take notes either to digest and comprehend the book, or to highlight specific things that I want to remember for specific reasons.

In the first case, the whole point of taking the notes is NOT having to open the book again (unless it's for the sake of pleasure, or later on when I have a wiser perspective, or something like that). I want to digest it so that its main structural points are rigidly in my mind, and then all the other stuff that fleshes out the structure will "stick" to it in my memory.

In the second case, I don't want "wow, this viewpoint is really similar to Goethe! I should compare the two!" buried in some book I'm not going to pick up for another 3 years. I want it in my main set of notes or my list of ideas for research or whatever.

I don't understand it with literature either. If you read it once, and some allusion or possible interpretation sticks out at you, are you really going to forget it the second time around?

>maebrussell.com/Articles and Notes/How To Mark A Book.html
Great reading. Thanks a lot, friend.

Acceptable for shitty pearson textbooks

Nigger tier if done to a novel

I think a lot of students think that by underlining or highlighting they're "actively learning" or some shit. The best thing to do with a textbook is to make your own index. Write like a star or something on an important page, then write down the page number and a brief summary of what you found interesting on the blank pages in the back of the book. That way you have to actually think a little bit and can easily refer back to what you need later.

Honestly I wish people who underline or write margin notes in novels belonging to the library would be fined for the cost of replacing the book. I hate marked up library books so fucking much. Don't vandalize public property. It's so distracting to see a squiggle of ballpoint slashed across multiple lines of text on every second fucking page. It's less annoying for non fiction but I still wish people be mature enough not to do it. I was reading a book by Steven Pinker and he said something or other about young women being immature and someone had circled it and wrote "Uhh. . ."

It was like a tumblr gif in real life.

Hahaha!

>reading for plot
baka desu senpai

It's degenerate.

on non-fiction, and especially school textbooks. mostly stuff like "thrash", "?", "hassiktir lan ordan" when i disagree with the author. I often do because most of what I have to read are politic books mostly under influence of marxism

I once wrote a poem on the back of my Hamlet when I was 17. It was pretty bad, I think the opening was: "Certainly certainty is just a dream/ and dream just a fickle scene"