That guy who unironically believes sugar is healthier than fat

>that guy who unironically believes sugar is healthier than fat

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophic_level
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt–Jakob_disease
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

'Healthy' has become a term so bastardized and misleading it really should be retired.

>essential nutrient A is 'healthier' than essential nutrient B

kys. fuck you and fuck this thread.

The idea that some foods are healthy and unhealthy is what's absurd. It's patterns of eating that matter. There seem to be a few patterns that work pretty well, and many that don't.

It's far better to get yourself into a pattern of eating that works for you than to worry about how much any particular foods ought to be vilified.

Is vitamin A healthier than vitamin B or iron or carbohydrates?

Came in here to post this. Sugar and fat are valuable, being a fat fuck who consumes them in excess is its own issue.

Realistically nutrient and calorie-dense food would be considered the closest thing to objectively healthy as the point of food is to keep you alive, in the wild food isn't overabundant like it is for humans. People like sweet/fatty foods because sugar and fat is scarce in the wild so you're supposed to eat as much of it as possible; when fat and sugar are readily available of course eating as much as possible is a terrible idea.

This, 100%

Sadly, people are always looking for the "magic bullet ingredient" they can eat to fix their health problems or the one big bad boogeyman to blame their problems on.

Sugar is not an essential nutrient. A human can survive in top form without ever consuming a single granule of sugar.

So true. As soon as I hear the word superfood I tune out, because whoever just said it obviously has no idea what they're talking about. It's a nice fantasy that you could eat a shit diet supplemented with a handful of magic foods and be perfectly healthy, but it doesn't work that way.
True. We don't need to consume sugar because our bodies break down the carbs we eat into it. The only reason to eat sugar is because it gives you pleasure. I'm of the opinion that kind of pleasure is best enjoyed once in a long while.

That's how "fat free" is accomplished: moar sugar.

It's also why it doesn't work.

Butttt anooonnnnn, im pretty sure if i cut alcohol out of my life, my level of health would skyrocket.
Alcohol is my big bad boogeyman

At a certain point that's more of an addiction issue than a diet issue.

Maybe not in the sense you just described, but superfoods are a thing, inasmuch as they are extremely nutrient dense and offer micronhtrients that are rare in supply elsewhere.

More diet when i get most of my calories from the damn drinking

Correct, we don't need it, however it's a calorie-dense alternative to fat, which again was scarce.

I understand that some foods are particularly nutrient dense, so including them in your diet may be a good idea. But superfood is a marketing term used to sell shit like açaí berries. I've got nothing against açaí berries, but I'm not running out to buy some under the illusion that eating them will magically make me healthier.

acai berries are a supermeme. cranberries and blueberries get you an antioxidant load just the same and they're cheaper.

I don't concern myself with shit like antioxidants. Sounds like bullshit to me. I do eat lots of vegetables and some fruit, though. I just never think, "Oh, I should eat that because it's loaded with antioxidants." That's not how I want to think about food.

Antioxidants aren't a meme but they are overhyped for marketing purposes.

I think if you eat lots of fruit and vegetables you don't have to concern yourself with the topic of antioxidants.

Medical student here, antioxidants are a meme. The cell doesn't need any outside reducer, all redox reactions that the cell needs to do to metabolize fuel can be done during normal cell function via organelles such as lysosomes and peroxisomes.

And before you say 'but what about the excess O2 and free radicals produced during metabolism? muh OXIDANTS', if the cell doesn't have a way to take up the 'antioxidant' that you think you're eating, it wont have any effect on oxygen regulation. Damage caused by free radicals and oxygen to DNA are a normal part of the cell life, the effect is commonly referred to as 'aging'.

>Medical student here
>X is a meme

How comforting

Thanks Aspiring Doc. That's what I figured.

the more complete of an organism you consume, the more health you will derive from it.

putting aside sanitation concerns, if you could puree a entire living cow, you'd have something more nutritious than a steak.

hence, the incredible sorts of nutrition that you achieve through consuming algae and microorganisms, and also through consuming the finer, rarer parts of plants and animals.

there is a self evident concept in the idea that eating a brain would contain nutrients satisfactory to your brain.

i can not prove it to you that consuming living creatures or plants and animal tissue that was but moments ago living has a nourishing effect that isn't explained on a molecular level through normal methods, but it is true.

kill yourself

>Medical student here
>antioxidants are a meme
I feel you'll be working the drive thru very soon, user.

A normal, healthy adult does not need to supplement their diet with 'antioxidant superfoods'. As long as you eat a reasonable and well balanced diet and there is nothing else immediately wrong with you, the health food industry is a scam.

unless you come from Veeky Forums in which case you will need protein/aa supplements

'need' has nothing to do with it, we have the opportunity to exceed.

people used to live on only-fucking-potatoes, too. they didn't 'need' anything else.

don't be mad you're too poor or lazy to do better.

>do better.
But many of the extra nutrients you consume are things you're just gonna piss out anyways. Consume more vitamin C than you need and what does your body do with it? Piss it out. How is having vitamin enriched piss doing better?

I can see a bodybuilder going crazy with the protein, but if that's not what you are there's no reason do that.

>the health food industry is a scam.
Jesus christ are you ever brainwashed.

well no, there are plenty of them in a balanced diet

Refined sugar is a drug pretending to be food.

please read the earlier part of the sentence. if this doesn't explain it to you then please explain to me why I am brainwashed.

i actually specified that an ideal diet is balanced in my post.

its like neither of you read my complete post and just reacted to specific lines.

they did 'need' other things, there are plenty of things that you need to consume for your body. the modern 'opportunity to exceed' is being able to walk into a grocery store and see more than just potatoes. We can buy any combination of breads and vegetables and fruits and meats and all sorts of other things. The animal cell thrives off of the perimeters of grocery stores, why would anyone without any specific medical condition need anything other than a well-balanced diet?

For the most part he's right. It's an industry based around using exaggerated claims to sell products that are of marginal health benefit to the people who buy them. And they make a lot of money doing it. Some of the claims they make are total quackery, but people want to believe, so they don't question it.

sure, you never really made clear that a balanced diet includes all the antioxidants you need, but it's good we agree i suppose

nailed it.

i thought i made it clear, sorry for the confusion

Sugars are, you fucker. Sugars are parts of carbohydrates. You would die if you never ate glucose bc it breaks down into ATP. we eat plants because they provide glucose. Please unto basic chemistry

where did you get the half witted notion that the epitome of nutrition was your fucking grocery store?

i assure you that if it was you would not be allowed to have it.

wrong. ATP is synthesized from carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. which is obtained in perfect sufficiency from fats, through ketone bodies, such as the eskimos who never tasted a god damn fruit and lived primarily off of pure fat and organs.

technically the other guy is actually right, we don't need to consume sugars. But what is actually important for the majority of ATP production is making sure to get enough Acetyl-CoA. You can cleave it off of long fatty acids, and even get it from amino acids if needed.

Glucose breaks down into ATP but you can only extract 2mol of ATP from 1mol of glucose in anaerobic state.

What are you on about? Modern grocery stores contain a wider variety of food than has ever been available to humans at any point in history. It's now easy and cheap to maintain a varied, nutritionally complete diet.

Carbohydrates are essential nutrients. There is no need to consume the specific subset of carbohydrates called sugars because your body will break down carbohydrates into sugar anyways. Sugar itself is NOT an essential nutrient because your body makes it from carbohydrates.

I don't eat sugar. My daily carbohydrate consumption is about 10 grams (from dark green vegetables), but I skip them sometimes. Being dead feels great!

hahahahahahahahahahaha

and yet, death is still a thing for you.

fucking faggot.

what?

you have no standards, you'd eat anything you had and be happy, wouldn't you? yes, you're a happy little piggy. happy little piggy. happy little piggy.

All food is a meme.
That's why I subsist exclusively on Soylent™ a complete nutrient replacement system!

>the more complete of an organism you consume, the more health you will derive from it.

Holy shit this is hilariously wrong. Basic science and nutrition has proven this wrong decades ago. As you consume more complex organisms you actually lose energy and nutrition.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophic_level
>putting aside sanitation concerns, if you could puree a entire living cow, you'd have something more nutritious than a steak.
Many parts of the cow are inedible and/or dangerous to consume. Although this might be more nutritious, it will also be more harmful to you.

>there is a self evident concept in the idea that eating a brain would contain nutrients satisfactory to your brain.

Dont eat brains
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt–Jakob_disease

>i can not prove it to you that consuming living creatures or plants and animal tissue that was but moments ago living has a nourishing effect that isn't explained on a molecular level through normal methods, but it is true.

I can dig this part but everything else you said suggests you dont even have a basic, fundamental understanding of nutrition.

So what you're saying is that you actually need anti-oxidants in your diet

Idiot

no, I said that with a well balanced diet, there is no reason to add expensive 'health-food'.

I've said it a few times, and I'll say it again: a well balanced diet has plenty of nutrition, and this includes these precious antioxidants that everyone is so excited about.

How the fuck can you not understand anons post? A balanced diet already contains all the shit your body needs.

Idiot

>that guy who has enough self esteem to care about his health beyond staying skinny