Ohhhh haha now I get why thomas pynchon is so wacky

ohhhh haha now I get why thomas pynchon is so wacky

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e3Czd7GwNy4&ab_channel=knowlegible
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is Gaddis, Gass and Pynchon the ultimate meme-trio of writers?

stfu

=(

They're wacky in different ways though. Gaddis' gags are more mean spirited, and can involve people being killed or maimed while Pinecone usually separates his serious scenes from his clowning around scenes.

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

Someone should cook up one of these pastas for Willie G. He deserves it.

gaddis is cool. pynchon you can tell is a fucking nerd. in the worst way.

lmao. confirmed for having read nothing by him. stick to hitchhiker's guide

Pynchon is cool as fuck. He's the type of guy you would smoke weed and watch cartoons with on a lazy saturday morning. He's into rock music, jazz, movies and other cool people shit. He just has a ridiculously high IQ, is all. Gaddis, on the other hand, was actually a prick, according to most people. And though I prefer Gaddis' writing to Tommy's I gotta say that I would much rather hang out with the latter. Gaddis seems like the type of guy who's so intellectual that it's irritating. Not that he's pretentious or anything, but just that he doesn't know how to have fun and shit. William Gass called him "irascible" in an interview, I think.

He does look like he had a short temper. But it definitely helped his work so idgaf.

Though Pinecone cucked a friend of his so I don't know if he's that much cooler.

Bet you never did the Kenosha kid.

>tfw your interests lean towards pynchons but are probably more like gaddis
>of course still not as good as either

So you have all the nerdiness of Pynchon with all the humorless arrogance of Gaddis?

gaddis is fucking hilarious

Go back and read this exchange. user wasn't talking about that nor inferring it.

He was, but IRL he was apparently also a major dick.

Well no, I can have fun, to the same extent as any normal healthy person, but only for comparatively short periods of time and eventually I exhaust everything I need to say and get tired of the Groundhog Day repetition I get from other people. I'm perfectly comfortable just existing around other people as they have fun but of course that's strange to them.

I'll just stay home and read Mason & Dixon.

Was he? He always seemed humble and a little anxious. Here's an interview with him. I think he comes off ok.

youtube.com/watch?v=e3Czd7GwNy4&ab_channel=knowlegible

That's a public appearance though. He probably kept it under wraps when he was giving interviews, especially on TV.

>how people act when they are on camera being interviewed is also how they act in the monotony of everyday life

I don't know if he truly was as bad as is reputed but you are charmingly naive for this post.

I'm working with the best impression I have of a guy who never went into the spotlight

What's some of the bad stuff he did?

>William Gass called him "irascible" in an interview, I think.

Gass confirmed for shit-tier pleb.

Gaddis, like Pynchon, wants nothing more than to not be an image of a writer, doesn't want to be absorbed into pop culture, into media culture...

And then comes along talentless hack Gass to spout "H-He le irascible genius novelist!"

Puke.

Gadiss my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is arcane literary allusions, sadistic gags, jokes and assholey behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those stupid social experiments, you walk around the corner & POP you get a face fulla fist and you fall back screaming. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick yourself back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been tazed again by the old social experimenter, challenging all your preconceived notions about life in America, that card. "Did that hurt your Willy?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves his hands onto nails and crusifies himself to joke about the attempt to scientifically quantify the nature of christianity by testing how a human body would actually look like hung by nails to a cross, wouldn't it need straps to hang up there or could nails support the body?- "you like dis? Do i look handsome???" And you're on your ass again laughing as he exits stage right, bearing his cross.

Even if you're meming, Gass said that as someone who actually knew the man, and was talking what he was like to be around. Also Gass is nearly one-man-yells-at-cloud level himself, so him calling someone irascible is a compliment.

Lmao does anyone have a pinchon flowchart? I just read a bunch of Hesse and no longer human so I think I'm ready

The standard one says

V. or Lot 49

then GR

then Inherent Vice or Mason & Dixon

the rest are regarded as things you should only read if you loved everything else because their quality fluctuates a lot.

What I did was

V.->GR->BE->Lot 49->Slow Learner->Vineland->IV->M&D and I still haven't gotten around to Against the Day

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the order I went with other than going from V. to GR, but you can basically do whatever you want after reading those two and maybe Lot 49.

Is it a bad idea to read GR first?

That'll do pig, that'll do.

It's doable, but reading V. first makes it a lot more understandable beyond the obvious things you'd see. I really wanted to get to GR as soon as I heard about it myself, but ended up reading V. first and it was more than worth it.

These days I thoroughly believe that you should read IV first. If you like it, read him chronologically. If you don't like it, read GR (ignore the memers who say V. is compulsory to before GR). If you don't like GR, read Mason and Dixon.
No.

Ok thanks, I'll do that

Mason & Dixon is more of a meme than GR these days. I've read and enjoyed both, but that's just how it is.

Is there a point in here somewhere?

Just that you're being a memer in the same breath as you're saying that other people are memers.

I'll attempt this, but poncho hard? What I need to read.