I'm a high school senior, and I'll be going to college for my aerospace engineering degree (yeah, im gay)

i'm a high school senior, and I'll be going to college for my aerospace engineering degree (yeah, im gay)

How much experience do such programs require? I fear that all the students in my class will be very ahead due to already grasping the concepts. I know a bit, but not much. I can't just make my own model plane and fly it.

Undergrad doesn't require any fucking knowledge.
Seriously. You'll get there and be surprised that some of these kids can get dressed in the morning. You'll also find some people who are absolutely brilliant. Then you'll find your niche and be happy and productive, just like everyone there.
t. UC Berkeley MechE.

>You'll get there and be surprised that some of these kids can get dressed in the morning

very much this.

one of the guys I started university with is on the verge of completing his engineering master's and whenever he sees two sigmas in a row his brain stops functioning for a short while.

I dropped out though because I think it's just a massive circus.

>on the verge of completing his engineering master's
>whenever he sees two sigmas in a row his brain stops

Engineers, gentlemen.

Wrong board. /adv/ is the place to ask.

>I fear that all the students in my class will be very ahead due to already grasping the concepts
You might meet 10 people in your program who fall under this category.

If you got accepted to the program, the university already determined that you met the prerequisites. Why the fuck do you think that you have to apply for college in the first place?

No, /adv/ will fucking give generic advice. Veeky Forums actually has people who can give decent advice

doesn't two sigmas just mean every combination of the indexed terms? What's hard to understand about that

Seriously, don't worry. I went into engineering feeling like a moron because I'd only had calc 1. Currently a senior and have the highest gpa in my class. You'll be absolutely amazed at how retarded people are l. The only reasoning engineering sucks because you have to work a lot, but the work isn't hard.

>aerospace engineers
>having anything to do with planes
Wew lad

You probably won't get the job that you want, and instead will be the fat fuck who sits on an airplane to help diagnose and fix whatever may go wrong.

Fucking autist.

Fuck off. We don't need these threads every fucking day.

>drop out
>le smart but lazy

it is analogous to counting all squares in a gridded rectangle.

there is nothing complicated about it, that man was just an idiot

It's basically expected that as an entering student in an aerospace program, you've previously worked on industrial aerospace products such as defense contracts for drones or fighters or equipment involved in actual space travel.

If you've never done anything like this, you won't be able to handle your classes and you'll be hopelessly behind your fellow students, you might as well switch to something easier like psychology.

source: worked for 2 years at NASA JPL before college, recently graduated with an AE degree and got hired at SpaceX

>I'm too intelligent for my class

k

you think the non elective course "the social implications of engineering solutions" where you have to listen to a bunch of faggy ass sissies and fatass feminists telling you about how engineers subconsciously discriminate against women, and how every solution is subjective to the point where a hungry nigger might identify a discarded rubber tyre as food while an entitled white person would consider it roadside trash and shit like that would contribute to my intelligence?

fuck you you twat you probably barely scraped by your GED.

Congrats. Future plans?

Whew lad

lmfao you're so fucking up your own ass it's unbelievable just fucking do the course and shut up about it being "beneath your grand intellect" you signed up for it

kek

I don't know. I just feel like there will be so many more opportunities to the kids who were involved with aerospace related activities and clubs in their high school years. I did do aeronautical events for science olympiad, but I never did get anything like a 1st place medal.

yep, seems you are a very closed minded person with the perspective of a doormouse, if you took some humanities classes with an open mind it'd undoubtedly do more for your intellectual maturity than an entire engineering degree, sadly it seems you'll be walking into every class with the attitude that you can't learn anything and all those invaluable life lessons will pass by right over your head, leaving you to graduate as the same immature manchild you are today

good luck buddy

FPBP

Is propulsion really that competitive?

I thought Mechanical Engineers worked on planes?

at least I'm not a cuck

Maybe y'all cant tell the difference between human science and self-congratulatory pseudointellectual masturbation

I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to their opinions, but I'm not enabling their continued existence as academics.

Yes. Not many jobs (or at least interesting ones).

I graduated with an Aero degree and noped out of the industry after 3 years.

Try to see if they have a dual major program for mechE and Aero. That way you aren't stuck with a meme degree.

Damn, that's real discouraging. What could I do to really improve my chances?

Also, what do you do with your life now?

>Maybe y'all cant tell the difference between human science and self-congratulatory pseudointellectual masturbation
Yep buddy, every subject that isn't science is nothing but pseudointellectual masturbation, you're totally the smartest person ever in the history of mankind, to come up with such a groundbreaking conclusion.

>but I'm not enabling their continued existence as academics.
Funny story, you're paying their salary if you wish to have any participation in the academic certification system.

I repeat; you signed up for the course. And as that other user said try not dismissing something as "pseudointellectual" just because it's outside of your comfort zone once in a while for you might actually gain some skills beyond being nothing more than a basement-dwelling equation solver.

here-
Where did I imply that? I'm saying that there are stupid people, and there are smart people, and that everyone hits their stride and becomes productive.

>"Undergrad doesn't require any fucking knowledge"

It doesn't. I came in knowing jack shit, and I'm doing fine.

I would generally say don't go for Aero pure or at the VERY least, get that dual mech degree. Much more flexible.

Don't get discouraged by my experiences specifically, I can't speak for everyone. I got out because of the lack of flexibility in choosing places to work (most places that want aeros tend to be in the middle of bumfuck nowhere) and 99% of jobs are for the fuckhuge companies like Boeing, which for me, sucked.

I did work on military and commercial engines for those 3 years, and the bureaucracy was so fucking ridiculous that I'm still amazed that planes still manage to fly. Manufacturing was interesting to learn, but otherwise the day to day was boring as fuck.

But really, the thing that got me the most was that you don't really ever get a feel for what you're making. Planes are fantastically complicated machines. Most likely you'll spend a decade working on a single component over and over that might be at most 6 inches wide. You never actually know more than .1% about the plane you're helping design.

Currently I'm working at a startup doing some work on a large scale fintech application

>Funny story, you're paying their salary if you wish to have any participation in the academic certification system.

I dropped out, remember?

>I repeat; you signed up for the course.

I signed up for an education, and I admit I didn't read the fineprint well enough. I took what I could get, but they can shove the rest up their ass.

Alright, so let's put it this way: if like a person of authority would serve you a brown substance on a silver platter, would you eat it?

looks like shit, smells like shit, and after the first bite it even tastes like shit. everybody's looking at you, expecting you to finish. do you finish? do you pay for more of the same?

you would, wouldn't you.

I said no thank you.

that's why - believe it or not - I manage a company.

ever considered going into systems architecture?

Post the actual course that you are bitching about instead of your meme description. Bet it wasn't even that bad.

OP, I went in to undergrad with barely algebra 2 under my belt and graduated with a math degree in 4 years. My GPA was 3.8

Thanks man, that's motivational. True story? If so, congrats, hope you have a good future user.

I'm actually abandoning engineering to a phd in applied math. Engineering was cool, but I developed a love for math with my electives.

>Post the actual course that you are bitching about

nope, sorry.

>uc berkeley
so you suck cock and praise bernie sanders for a living

>Performing thread necromancy to project your sour grapes