Hey Veeky Forums, any books similar to pic related? I really liked the religious theme surrounding the story...

hey Veeky Forums, any books similar to pic related? I really liked the religious theme surrounding the story. I'm thinking of "The Exorcist",

PS. No entry level reads, please. I'm done with Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe, and the likes.

what about Fuk- Off by Yuri A. kunt?

Lol I'm actually watching that as we speak.

Malleus Maleficarum by Heinrich Kramer which is about how to hunt witches. The witches in the movie are basically what this guy thinks witches are in real life.

The Crucible by Arthur Miller which is about hysteria surrounding witch sightings, which is touched on briefly in the movie (I suppose you could interpret it in a specific way to make it spooky)

Have you read Dream In The Witches' House by Lovecraft? Thats pretty similar shit

I read a book in a library once called Satanic Dictionary. It basically describes how people back in the day thought of witches.

As for the feeling of being isolated in the woods while members of your family turn on you, I can't think of any good examples but there are probably tonnes. Like does The Shining Count?

I think The Shinning is actually pretty similar (both the movie and the book) but (un)fortunately I've already read/watched it.

I'm not sure If I read that one by Lovecraft. I'll look into it. The Arthur Miller one really interested me.

Arthur Miller wrote it in the context of the Communist witch hunts. There are a lot of parallels between the book and the movie I found because the parents flip their shit at even the slightest possibility that their daughter could be the witch. Stuff like rumors and accusations based on nothing could really get you killed back then. It really dives in and explores the harsh pilgrim lifestyle and the engendered differences in the witch hunts and although there aren't any supernatural elements as I said you could put yourself in that perspective.

Lovecraft's short story is awesome, full of witches, signing evil pacts, traveling to the forth dimension, using mathematics and dreams to tear the thin veil of our reality off of our eyes. Defiantly check it out if you haven't.

>there aren't any supernatural elements as I said you could put yourself in that perspective.

Sounds great. One of the elements that I liked in the book was the overtly religious feeling the family had.

I've already downloaded both books and will start reading them ASAP.

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

The Devils of Loudon by Huxley

I prefer the weird fiction: less pretentious, more pulpy, but sometimes excellent: Blackwood and Machen especially.

Yeah the Crucible is full of hard core fundies, you'll love it

Dreams of the Witches House

What are those lovely black specimens on your shelf user? This entire pictures makes me uncomfortably horny

Those big hardcovers? They're Gollancz's "big black books." Those are the only six they've put out so far, but I really enjoy them. Just stay away from the paperback versions: they turn into battered phone books overnight.

I've got their Wells hardcovers, too. Affordable and very thick.

The Curious Case Of Dexter Ward is very similar as well come to think of it

That makes my mouth water for Weird Fiction. How much were they?

Around $23, back then. I think they're $30-40 or so now on amazon, if they're all still in print.

Penguin's book of witches it pretty good

And Keats in the back, what a killer collection

this sounds great

>less pretentious

Yep. Have you read Caitlin Kiernan, Thomas Ligotti, Peter Straub? They do some good work, but there's a self-awareness there that keeps me at arm's length from the material. It's like they're too busy proving they're not just weird fiction authors, but serious artists. I don't find that with the earlier authors. Just my take.

They're still in print in the UK, user.