Why is popcorn less calories popped than it is unpopped?

why is popcorn less calories popped than it is unpopped?

Varying serving sizes?

I'm probably wrong, but I'd imagine it's the evaporation of the water inside the kernels....I think.

Water ain't got no calories

Exactly why I was hesitant to post that, but I can't think of anything else

I believe they measure calories by burning food? Caloric content being the measure of how much heat a substance can produce. Perhaps popped corn has fewer calories because part of it has been burned off in the process of cooking?

Wheres your source to prove this claim?

Who the hell has a serving of unpopped pop corn?

Probably too obvious, but are the calories given by cup or other weird volume-based measurements?

explosions destroy things

For the same reason uncooked rice has more calories than cooked rice.

Ah, yeah that makes sense.
In highschool we burned doritos to find out now many calories were in it during chemistry.

But still, I don't think it should make that big a difference.

"Normal" corn is not the same type of corn as popcorn. The corn used for popcorn has a way higher starch content and less sugar

When you heat food you change its chemical make up, Freaky i know

>it's literally getting activated

The process of popping the corn releases energy lowering the calories.

yes but how? what changes?

This.

Each kernel popped has the same calories as each unpopped kernel but popped kernels take up way more space than unpopped, so a volume of unpopped kernels will have more calories than the same volume of popped kernels

Harder to digest, same reason why raw meat has less calories than cooked meat.

They measure serving size for kernels by tbsp.
3 tbsp. of popcorn can make about 6 cups popped depending on kernel size. Most peoples' brains are tricked to think when they're eating popcorn they're consuming more food because of the mass.

3 tbsp. of kernels = 130 calories
1 cup of popped corn = 20 calories
10 calories of fat are lost between kernel and the final product because of the heat.

Idiot.
Complete and utter idiot.

Ebin :DDD