10 pages in and its the best prose I've ever read

>10 pages in and its the best prose I've ever read

Well fuck.

>woman
>good prose
fuck off roastie pleb

go away

What do you mean when you say prose is good?

>when he reads for the prose

B-bit shes a guuuurl!

retard frogfaggot go die

I just finished To the Lighthouse and it came off as all style over substance. Is the Waves any better?

If you don't read at least partly for prose, it's because you don't know what good prose is.

>style over substance

aka
>idk what i'm talking about so i'm gonna use a trite platitude

try a new hobby, literature is obviously not for you senpai.

This

read it and see, fambam

the first 10 - 15 pages, and specially the beginning it´s so fucking good that (for me) can´t mantain that literarian spasm in the long term. im ended a little dissapointed. (just a little, still a superior book)

Can you elaborate a little about the prose? I'm really interested but I don't know if I should read this or In The Lighthouse first

>manages to read all of 10 pages before posting on Veeky Forums about it
wew

this post doesn't even deserve a serious answer

read the Lighthouse first, because it's good but depending on what you would expect coming from the Waves it would likely seem bland

Not the same person you were talking to but I already read Mrs Dalloway a while ago, would you recommend The Lighthouse next or can I just skip to The Waves?

sorry bby, but the order is dykes>>>faggots into weird fetishes>>>>>>>faggots>>>hetero normies for literature. you've outed yourself as destined to shit prose and blue balls.

There's no reading order as far as thematic understanding goes and no sort of formal progression that would lead to the Waves, nothing to keep you from reading it unless you want to "keep the most experimental (and arguably best) for last"

It's great.

i dropped mrs dalloway after 10 pages, found it too boring. should i try again?

>reading for enjoyment

Reading 4,000 pages of Harry Potter is definitely a waste of time, but on occasion one can learn a lot from reading bad writing. Or at least I can, so I suppose I'm smarter than Shoppy.
I mean how could he even formulate the maxim to never read bad writing if he himself had never read bad writing? Fucking tard.

Had he never encountered bad writing, he would indeed not have come up with that maxim and the stupidity therein contained. Proves his point, then, doesn't it.

Not necessarily.

>reading 4000 pages of Harry Potter takes the same amount of time as reading 4000 pages of classics

2 pages in and I'm already breaking through the sound barrier

Who is Alice Munro?

Prose can be defined in two ways, the format that isn't poetry, and the language/diction/sentence composition of the narrator (aka, style).

"Good" prose is just for aesthetic purposes, it contributes very little to the narrative or theme. And "aesthetic" just means it looks/sounds pretty.

How can I know something is bad writing without reading it myself and without pleading to authority?

First time I've seen Munro mentioned here. What do you recommend I start with?

I don't see how this compares. Harry Potter was written with children in mind, and many people read the books as children. Who the fuck expect a child to be interested in reading Muh Classics?

Munro is a short story writer, so any place is a good start. She's only written one "novel," but even that is a story collection about the same characters.

I recommend "Dance of the Happy Shades" and "Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You" to read first. Both short, both good.

dumb frogposter