What are some reasons to learn Italian Instead of French?

What are some reasons to learn Italian Instead of French?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Valle_Giulia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Autumn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Years_of_Lead_(Italy)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You are moving to Italy

you're an autistic fuck

alternatively you like opera, though I'm not sure this merits an entire "learning" of the language

la comedia > the entirety of french literature put together

sigh

Reading Dante in the original is probably worth it.

>sigh
fucking kys

>focusing this hard on the medium of the message

It's closer to Spanish. If you already know Spanish it'll be easier. If you don't and you're American, learning Italian will make learning a relevant language like Spanish easier.

Italy is more interesting than France and you'll be able to communicate if you go.

I studied both and found Italian incredibly easy after a year or two of French. Other people have agreed with me that Italian is the easiest of the Romance languages to learn, though I don't know anyone who started with Italian.

Well, French literature outpaces Italian in every category except there is not a single French poet who is as great as Dante. Though I haven't visited either country since childhood, Italy seems more beautiful but France seems better for quotidian life and work. And hey, la France est encore très belle.

Italian women are better than French women.

? he's right

That's only because french literature is utter shit.

And it's written "La Commedia", faggot.
And it was basically the angsty fanfiction of a catholic weeaboo that hated lots of people because he never got any pussy and so wrote a fanfic where he put his enemies in hell. Today he'd post in /r9k/.

t. an italian.

only this.

it's a prettier language

France tends to have the best writer of a certain style, but italy has a pile of good ones.

Italy rules short stories (based Pirandello kun)

French food is much harder to figure out than italian (recipes in your target language are always a plus). Also italian food is based

Italians are much kinder to those learning their language.

Outside of the northest north italy didn't really have hippies, so the central area is something of a time capsule to the pre-hippie era in some ways.

Italy doesn't only have Dante, the entire renaissance is basically an italian thing. You can also check out based Boccaccio and Petrarch.

Enlightenment aesthetics were spread by France, but were an italian invention. Check out the book of courtier.

Each city in Italy has pride in itself, unlike France where everyone hates paris but acknowledges that Paris is where all the stuff is.

Sometimes I wish I studied Italian instead of French mais la couture français a aussi beaucoup des bonnes choses.

I've been trying to learn French. I'm at a point where I can read some things and usually pick up on the meaning. But I can't speak or communicate at all.

I was thinking of switching to Italian since it's supposedly easier

American who's lived in Italy for six years now. It's not a difficult language to learn if you immerse yourself as much as possible. It's phonetic which helps considerably.

I've found that it's a very useful language because of its nearness to Latin. I'm able to understand the gist of French, Spanish and Latin as a result.

>b2 equivalent

No it's not.

Dante was shit. La Divina Commedia is shit.

>French literature outpaces Italian in every category
Kill youserlf. Seriously.

Italian sounds better.

Italy still has ties to Stirner influenced anarchism. France is just commie shit.

Unless you want to read something French, Italian is easier and you will get further with it and maybe ease your way into French.

Although going from French to Italian makes Italian really easy.

It's really, really, difficult for non-native speakers to speak French without an accent. It sounds kinda shit so French people maybe be rude to you.

wow I hope someone learns a language for these kinds of reasons

>Outside of the northest north italy didn't really have hippies, so the central area is something of a time capsule to the pre-hippie era in some ways.
This is not to say the rest of your post isn't garbage, but the south is full of anarchist communes and card carrying communists. Like it's a Mccarthyist's nightmare. Very likely the "central area" is part of the south too.

And Northest North are like conservative Swiss p much.

No single modern foreign language is easier than any other. A change might be nice but ultimately that's all it is, something different.

Do you have a big 3rd wave feminist movement in Italy? Have safe spaces taken root? Was there a 70's college movement that irreparably scarred higher ed (us) or nearly brought down the government (France)?

These all seem weaker or like non-issues in Italy; and justifiably so, as you guys were dealing with shit like proper communist insurrection and aldo moro

I don't think Italian is distributed as much as French, but it is a much easier language to learn. I'm pretty sure it's completely phonemic, unlike French or English, so spelling and pronunciation should be straightforward.

Spanish is very similar to Italian, but has very widespread distribution by comparison. It would be a more useful language to know.

what do you mean by distribution?

brb moving to south italy

This

Also Ariosto and Leopardi

I'm finishing the inferno right now and kinda agree. It was groundbreaking in its time, I'm sure, but now the poetry isn't anything spectacular and beyond the poetry it's just a dainty Italian guy wandering around going "Oh dear, you lot are having a pretty bad time down here aren't you" and shitting on people he didn't like
Hopefully Purgatorio and Paradiso are better because nothing really moved me that much so far.

As in, not that many speakers distributed throughout the world. It's not going to be very useful as a second language if you never encounter anyone who speaks it. Are you planning to visit or relocate to Italy?

That's such an incredibly shallow reading.

As for the poetry, read Canto XXV and come back to me.

Dante Petrarca Boccaccio Ariosto Tasso Galileo Beccaria Manzoni Foscolo Leopardi Goldoni D'Annunzio Gadda Sanguineti e troppi altri

Wanting the French to think you're gay

b-b-but muh syndicalism

No, but my family is Italian. Momma never taught me

>Italy is more interesting than France
triggered desu

There isn't one, unless you plan on dealing with uneducated Italian villagers. Educated Italians understand and speak English well (albeit with an accent). The French almost exclusively speak French in France, and French is spoken all around the world.

Longtemps je me suis couché de bonne heure

Confirmed for never reading French literature.

ive only ever taken latin

of all the foreign languages italian sounds the 'clearest'. rarely am i unable to distinguish words from words, even though i don't know italian. in every other language at least some of the words slur together.

>and French is spoken all around the world.
... by uneducated African and North-African villagers. Makes all the difference!

he means a section of canada and some random african countries speak french

Switzerland is now a random African country. I expect Swiss posters will love that.

There's also a few places in S. America and Asia.

>in every other language at least some of the words slur together.
Weirdly that's a Latin thing. Often the terminal sound is moved onto the start of the adjacent word, and it mostly happens in French.

Tex comics.

Well you can't really read the Divine Comedy as if it were a "normal" book... Italian native speakers themselves need to kinda translate it and study it in school because it's quite difficult to understand. So be prepared.

Anyway, the French are asses

To BTFO Belgium with words, user

I was told this by my italian teacher as well, but I only really noticed some g's in modern italian show up as c's in Dante, and there are more English (Latin) cognates than in usual italian.

Are there grammatical differences? What's hard about it?

>It sounds kinda shit so French people maybe be rude to you.

holy fuck this. France is the only place on Earth where natives will mock you instead of being supportive. This guy took a lot of time to learn my language it is great idea to be impolite for him!

>I've been trying to learn French. I'm at a point where I can read some things and usually pick up on the meaning. But I can't speak or communicate at all.

>Beccaria
>D'Annunzio
>Sanguineti
per favore no

Are you retarded?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Valle_Giulia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Autumn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Years_of_Lead_(Italy)

You mean, cheaper exotic pussies. All the benefits.

I speak french and I can sort of understand where it comes from though. Dumbing the language down to speak with a stranger is something I can't imagine. Every culture is different, keep crying faggot

nah, french women are much better, but french men have nothing on Italian men

being this french

The films are better, but don't tell anyone that, you may trigger the Godardfriends

Italians are the polar opposite of autismos. If you want an autistic people look no further than the Germans.

>Germans
>Invented modern philosophy as we know

>Italians
>...Dante? And all other strains of Christcuck LARPing

Hm, tough choice...

Shut the fuck up. I'm so tired of being disrespected on this goddamn website. All I wanted to do was post my opinion. MY OPINION. But no, you little bastards think it's "hilarious" to mock those with good opinions. My opinion. while not absolute, is definitely worth the respect to formulate an ACTUAL FUCKING RESPONSE AND NOT JUST A SHORT MEME OF A REPLY. I've been on this site for 6 months: 6 MONTHS and I have never felt this wronged. It boils me up that I could spend so much time thinking and putting effort into things while you shits sit around (probably jerking off to traps or whatever gay shit you like) and make fun of the intellectuals of this world. I've bored you? Good for fucking you. Literally no one cares that your little brain is to underdeveloped and rotted to comprehend my idea...MY GREAT GREAT IDEA. I could sit here all day whining, but I won't. I'm NOT a whiner. I'm a realist and an intellectual. I know when to call it quits and to leave the babybrains to themselves. I'm done with this goddamn site and you goddamn immature children. I have lived my life up until this point having to deal with memesters and idiots like you. I know how you work. I know that you all think you're "epik trolls" but you're not. You think you baited me? NAH. I've never taken any bait. This is my 100% real opinion divorced from anger. I'm calm, I'm serene. I LAUGH when people imply I'm intellectually low enough to take bait. I always choose to reply just to spite you. I won. I've always won. Losing is not in my skillset. So you're probably gonna reply "lol epik trolled" or "u mad bro" but once you've done that you've shown me I've won. I've tricked the trickster and conquered memery. I live everyday growing stronger to fight you plebs and low level trolls who are probably 11 (baby, you gotta be 18 to use Veeky Forums). But whatever, I digress. It's just fucking annoying that I'm never taken serious on this site, goddamn.

I just finished five years of Latin, which language would be easier to learn? Keep in mind when someone's speaking to me I often can't understand them if they're talking too fast or slurring

Don't know Latin, but Italian is definitely easier, it's more regimented, more phonetic (and just easier to pronounce), and less ambiguous. Italian is probably tied with Spanish for easiest language to learn, not counting Esperanto or something.

French is more similar to English vocab wise, but Italian is more similar to Latin (I assume). Actually speaking to native Italians is probably harder than speaking to French though because Italians do indeed speak fast and there's a large diversity in terms of regional accents. The French, as noted in this thread, are rather rude to people trying to learn the language though.

>think French is gonna be impossible when I start learning it
>mfw it's 30% English

Thank you based Gauls who invaded Britain a thousand years ago

Can someone recommend me some simple German books?

>underestimating d'annunzio

Go back to liceo

Every piece of research I've ever seen that I thought looked semi decent concluded that Latin will actually make shit harder or the same. If you want to learn another language easier you're better off learning another modern foreign language.

The problems seem to arise when people apply what they did to learn Latin to learning a modern language so I suggest don't do that.

invece d'annunzio è proprio da liceali.

Preziosismi e suoni completamente vuoti - tutte cose che comunque erano state già fatte da Baudelaire, simbolisti e Apollinaire. Le uniche opere oneste di D'Annunzio sono le prime (e le più acerbe) e il Poema Paradisiaco. Che poi non è pure un capolavoro della letteratura

If you're an ameridumb, you're still going to suck at it. Americans can't into language.

Ameridumbs are better on average than Britards tho.

TU GRADIST' IT?

Ti fermi a parlare di preziosismi e scavalchi l'immensa densità di contenuto. E anche se si ritenesse flebile il nerbo del contenuto, le poesie di D'Annunzio (mi sembra che tu ti stia riferendo in particolare al poeta e non al narratore) offrono trame sonore e liriche che pochi poeti hanno eguagliato.

D'Annunzio è da liceali se lo si legge solo nella maniera in cui si insegna a leggerlo al liceo.

if you want join th catholic church, if you like opera
then you should lear 13th century fiorentino

we have no feminist movement atm but we had in the 60's

>Educated Italians understand and speak English well

Not true in the slightest, Italians have some of the worst English skills in Western Europe, partly because they already all have to learn a stupid dialect as well as standard Italian and partly because it's a very insular country.

>Italians have some of the worst English skills in Western Europe
I never really noticed that much of a difference between Italy and anywhere else for English skills. In fact the first person I met in S. Germany (outside of friends) who could speak English was a homeless Italian in Munich.

Spain speak the least English in Europe, and why not since it's one of the most-spoken languages in the world.

I did my best but anyone who would take out the time to translate this would help a lot - I found what I could comprehend to be interesting. I studied Italian and I was barely able to understand the French.

culture*, connard.

ITALO.FUCKING.CALVINO. END OF THREAD

What would be best for learning other languages, italian or french?
Svevo too

The french are pompous assholes and not a single french author is worth reading. At least Italy has Machiavelli.

Do NOT learn french for any reason other than literature.

>Most French speak only one language. I was at a station (a place where many tourists go) and asked (in my broken French) one of the tellers whether she spoke English, German, Spanish or Italian. She asked me (in French) why I didn't learn French before coming to France. I told her (in French) that I was traveling through Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Hungary, Poland: was I supposed to learn all of those languages? She mumbled something (still in French), didn't seem to be grateful that I was making my best effort to speak her language, and didn't make the slightest effort to make it easier for me to understand her French. Alas, this is not the exception, but often the rule. Even in border areas like Strasbourg or Nice you will not find many people who speak a second language. While better than USA citizens, the French are still a long way from accepting that there exist other languages and that French (unlike English, Russian, Spanish or Arabic) is spoken pretty much only in France, therefore it is not the language a traveler would learn first.

That's a solid fucking argument there, user. If he's half as pretty in Italian as (translated) English it will have been worth it

Italian has the merit of sounding beautiful and musical as French does without being as gay

The Gauls bit the dust over 1000 years before Hastings.

You fucking moron, French is spoken in many places other than France.

>Canada
>Switzerland
>Belgium

French is an official language in 29 countries

>Italian literature is awesome
>still a gateway language to French and Spanish

>Reading Dante in the original is probably worth it.
Native Italian reporting in.
Dante is amazing.
But it took me ages to get it beyond my head.

At school they made us paraphrase it and shit.
It was boring as hell.
And there were all those different levels of reading.
And you didn't get the jokes because no 14 y.o. gets those 13th Century inside jokes.

Also, I didn't like poetry.

Then, one day, after long years spent in the humanities, I was bored and opened a very fancy edition of Dante's Inferno.

Holy fuck I realized I understood every line.
And the sounds...and the intertwining of witty remarks and narration.
The storytelling here, the Easter eggs there, plus a summary of all the knowledge of the time. You find astronomy there... you find politics. You find sex, you find spirituality.

Suddenly it was all alive. Bone and flesh.

But holy shit it took me some years of gap and distance from Dante... but when I got back to it, it unfolded under my eyes in all of its marvel.

>>Beccaria
Ha influenzato Dostoevskij però

Che problemi ha quel tizio con Beccaria?
Che poi sanno tutti -- dei Delitti e delle Pene fu praticamente organizzato da Pietro Verri.

>Giulia Beccaria
Una gran figa.

Dosto è stato mica risparmiato sul patibolo dallo zar, no?
L'Idiota lo nomina come massima autorità quando parla alle Epancin delle sue idee sulla pena di morte

>Che problemi ha quel tizio con Beccaria?
Mi riferivo all'Anonimo: Non all'Idiota.

qui su Veeky Forums credo ci sia la tendenza a considerare poco le "non-fiction", potrebbe essere questo

Learn Senegalese french dialect. It's the best.

porcodio

Finalmente una traccia di letteratura italiana contemporanea

>they don't speak both
Dai, les gars.

tope la amico mio