Tfw switching from physics to EE

>tfw switching from physics to EE
Feels good to be quite honest.

Other urls found in this thread:

csun.edu/catalog/academics/ece/courses/ece-455/
youtube.com/watch?v=6NVwD41gVyU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Feels good to be quite honest.

I'll bet! Enjoy your lack of intellectual stimulation and easy as piss coursework.

Well, I did physics 2 semesters long and, to be quite honest, it was too theoretical for me.
It pisses me off that physics majors just scratch the fields there are. They don't really go into detail. It's like this career part is made for people to become researchers.
But I don't want to be a researcher. I still have other things in life I enjoy besides studying and doing sciences all day.

>I'll bet! Enjoy your lack of intellectual stimulation and easy as piss coursework
let me guess, you study at MemeIT or some american university?

newsflash: your engineering programs are trash.

Physics undergrad programmes are designed to give students a background for further study in engineering or as physics researchers. It's kind of a meme since it's high-school tier shallow in most areas, most intelligent people like Von Neumann etc. just do a real programme for undergrad and decide whether or not to pursue research later.

at least now you'll be able to actually find a job

How did your family take it when you finally came out?

welcome to the dark side, brother.

We're smarter, too

>I did physics 2 semesters long and, to be quite honest
>It pisses me off that physics majors just scratch the fields there are. They don't really go into detail.

Well, no shit. You stopped at gen physics I and II.

lol, EE is all math, bro

>tfw switching from astrophysics to EE

damn it feels good. breezing through this engineering thing.

>2 semesters
>just scratch the fields there are
woah, really makes you think

>EE is all math,
you wished

Try engineering at msc/phd level plebs.

if you like controls and random process - yes

>>lol, EE is all math, bro
this is what EEs actually believe

EE is all arithmetic my man. I took a complex variables course in the EE department this semester and I was bored to fucking tears
>t. math student

where do you go
i went to cs northridge and we took our own similar class
it covered complex variables - pde - nonlinear ode
i actually enjoyed the extra math
csun.edu/catalog/academics/ece/courses/ece-455/

>engineering fags think they know shit about complex numbers

Kek

we didn't even touch pde or ode, just harmonic/holomorphic functions and some integrals.

overall 1/10 garbage course.

Your average EE major couldn't pass an intro to proofs course

>not doing physics/ee dual major

geeze, why so much butthurt from math majors?

your average pure math major could not write a matlab program to solve a simple ode

>I do a course purely for intellectual stimulation
Get a job you fat stinking neckbeard

every single one of them can in my country.
and what's funnier is that in your country you need a fucking course to prove stuff.

kek
laughable/10

Major tier ranking:
Best:
Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry, Mathematics

Alright:
Biology, Philosophy

At least I'm not Sociology tier:
Engineering, Neuro"science", Psychology, Computer Science

Looks like engineers are a little sensitive today, what's wrong guys? Regretting those poor life choices? :-)

Funny how it's always the pure science guys giving the engineering folks a hard time. Perhaps they are salty from their diet of Ramen and Crackers.

>computer science in a low tier

>your average pure math major could not write a matlab program to solve a simple ode

Why would your average pure math major need to do that when they could solve the ODE by hand?

>
come on man dont embarass yourself

looks like non engineers have no argument and are assblasted.
what's wrong? engineering too hard for your low iq?

> newfag took the bait
> newfag took the bait
> newfag took the bait

>I still have other things in life I enjoy besides studying and doing sciences all day.

That sounds horrendous!

We are polar opposites and yes I'm a physics major.

#rekt

>Philosophy
>Alright

>Neuro"science"

Brilliant.

actually not really rekt solving by hand is way easier just take more time
most people can do simple integrate by hand but very few can write a program to do that automatically

>very few can write a program to do that automatically

I know, matlab programming is like coding the matrix.

From what I've seen, a lot of engineers really are bad at what they do save a hand full who transferred from physics. Of course, Veeky Forums isn't representative of all engineers, physicists, mathematicians, etc, but when you have thrid semester physics/math students surpassing the junior or senior engineers in their own classes, it really begs the question of just how good are most engineers really. I honestly believe that many engineering schools need to do some quality checking and weed out a lot of the students who think just because it pays later on that that should be the only reason they take the major.

I agree with this, but more general in nature. About half of engineers graduating don't know what they are doing at their job. It's a combination of just being an idiot and reguritating information only for tests and those who are incredibly book smart but don't know how to apply it and think critically (ie human calculators).

Most engineering schools offer no real-world application in their undergrad, this leads to people coming out that know how to cram and regurgitate formulas very well, but when are presented with open-ended problems they shit the bed HARD.

We have two design courses each year tailored to our discipline and I can see that 80% of the students struggle to even use Google to solve their problems. They just go to the prof and cry. Engineering attracts all the chads of science.

German here, aka Bigdickengineering nation. Math and physics are largely useless majors if you actually want to work in the engineering field.

You did well OP.

>Not knowing you can solve almost no ode by hand
>doing math
no wonder you don't even know that.

If it was up to the international engineering community then ~90% of accreditted US engineering degrees would lose their accreditation tommorow.

Of course, as it stands no one can tell those rich ass yank fuckers to do shit.

What are you talking about? I'm doing my PhD in the US at a UC (did undergrad in Pakistan and MS in Finland) and this is far better quality than what I saw in either place before

Universities in the US are very well equipped and staffed but still shit. Just think about it, what exactly is the US known for in the engineering department?

Feels bad man

Berkeley, MIT, Stanford, Georgia Tech, UIUC, UT Austin, etc are all fantastic schools that attract talent from all over the world

I know. Yet for mechanical engineering you go to Germany and for EE you go to Asia.

Then why are there a ton of the students in the EE classes I TA from China and Korea? You would presume they would stay there if the schools are that much better, no? I'm not really sure what you're basing this all on, especially considering a fair degree of the cutting edge research is being done in the US for many ee fields

I have no problem with stating the US is behind in many ways but I have not at all personally observed your statements.

You don't have to go to the best school in the world to have a great engineering career.

never heard of good engineers coming out of there desu. I only hear about french, german and swiss engineers.

I am not talking about the schools, I'm talking what comes of it. If the schools would truly produce such great alumni, shouldn't the US be more dominant in the fields I mentioned?

Do you work in the US? There's very little reason for US engineers to go to Europe since the pay is a lot lower in Europe so I wouldn't be shocked if you thus have little exposure to them

Anecdotally speaking the best research places for my field (channel coding) are in the US

engineer doesn't mean the same thing in the US and in Europe.

>Pakistan and MS in Finland)
It should be since literally neither of those countries are accredited.

Try doing REAL engineering in a country that actually fucking has an engineering industry with internationally accreditted programmes, shitskin.

>Berkeley, MIT, Stanford, Georgia Tech, UIUC, UT Austin, etc

The 10%.

Engineers from those schools are treated like industry gold. What the fuck are you talking about.

What the fuck? We have some of the best engineers in the world in Finland

Germans and French are the most needlessly arrogant people on earth

what industries?

>What the fuck? We have some of the best engineers in the world in Finland
>some of

There are only 5 good countries for engineering on the planet that actually have a good industry (1 dead electronic company that couldn't take the heat doesn't count), the rest is Zimbabwe-level dogshit in comparison.

I didn't even know you had engineers there.
In fact nobody knows.

>Went into engineering because fuck yeah master race, science and maths and tech and shit
>now 25 years old and playing CAD simulations all day like a child
>meanwhile, economy/law/medicine students became real adults with actually usefull skills outside their nieche

yeah...

Yeah its funny to see the guys at my workplace play with their pastel coloured models all fucking day.

I don't even...

This is the first time I've ever heard it being this way around. Engineers are adored for their universality of practical knowledge, even compared to MDs. You are probably one of those dispassionate memesters that never bothered to do more than the bare minimum needed to collect your paycheck.

When do you start the cocksucking classes?

>implying engis need classes for that

Man after finally graduating as an engineer and getting a job I feel terrible for anyone unlucky enough to believe anything said about... Well anything, while considering or just starting to study engineering

This place is a fucking joke.
It has always been a fucking joke ever since I finished fucking hs
Jesus Christmas be ashamed of yourselves

Believe anything said here on Veeky Forums*
Fuck phones

>My experience was different from other peoples' experience!

:(

>Jesus Christmas

Told you, actual scientists are usually happy and most engineers become a meme. The history on this is clear.

>Switched from bio to Anthro
Feels good to be quite honest.

>Assuming he can even feel embarrasment.

Take your pick. Every one of those schools graduates excellent engineers.

no they don't.

>excellent
>engineer

Pick one

>I still have other things in life I enjoy besides studying and doing sciences all day.

youtube.com/watch?v=6NVwD41gVyU

What are you doing here?

>What are you doing here?
We could ask you the same thing you fucking weeab. Did you get lost on your way to ?

>I did physics 2 semesters long
sooo you covered all up to 1800?

OP here. Germanfag too.
In what engineering field are you? Can you tell me som e of your experience?
I actually lied when I said I already switched. I just made up my minds that I will switch after this second semester in physics I'm still in.
I'm just not sure if engineering is actually easier here. Because when I look at what I have to do in EE, is that I have 6 exams every semester.

I don't know if I will be able to actually still have a life besides studying, but at least I'm specialized in a field and have actually good chances for good paying jobs.

I'm just not sure what to pick. EE or CE. Both sound interesting to me

I'm at UIUC which is pretty much the holy grail for semiconductor electronics / solid state physics, and to be fair most hot-shot profs in this area in the ECE department are from China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan.

The fab course is very popular among internationals since the profs running it have very good industry connections back home for them to take advantage of when they get back.

You went to CSUN? Are you OP?
Comp.E and EE are the only respectable engineering programs at csun, and even then their students have atrocious math skills, at least from my experience.

>Advanced topics in mathematics in the areas of complex variables, linear algebra, partial differential equations and series solutions to differential equations are discussed. These mathematical tools are used to model and solve electrical engineering-related problems in the areas of circuits, controls, electromagnetics, solid state and communication theories.

Name an electrodynamics problem (PDE) you solved in that course, and the method you used to solve it.

I understand OP. Couldn't handle it.

So, on a related note, have you come out to your parents yet?

Wirf 'ne Münze Brudi.

>>your average pure math major could not write a matlab program to solve a simple ode
>Why would your average pure math major need to do that when they could solve the ODE by hand?
Well matlab is not the best example, only glorified technicians who choose engineering thinking it's a trade or something say something like that, not real engineers.
Writing ode solver, matrix operations in C/Assembly for embedded applications or in some other high-level language for simulation is good example though. The reason why you should do it is in the applications. I don't think so you want to solve a system of odes by hand. Worse if you need it for real-time applications.

Engineering is about applications and discovering new ways to apply and do things, pure math is about discovering shit for the sake of discovering, application or any connection to physics and physical models is not a requirement.

Btw I love these discussions when first year eng. and math bsc plebs clash when none of them actually knows jack shit about their fields.
+inf/10

Veeky Forums isn't your blog

it's really a shame about the moderation

fuck off

At my university they're required to. I don't consider it that great a university either but maybe I'm just pissed about being told I can't have sex because"God says so"

Like what?
Drinking with other idiots, starting a family and paying taxes?

You can do some hobby 2 hours day from 19:00 to 21:00 and still study a lot.

>They don't really go into detail.
Well you had an introduction to general physics. Do you think engineering courses go into detail after 2 semesters?

PS have fun with programming Excel and jobs with 30% business meetings.

>PDE

not

>SPDE

go back to your basement pleb

Das hilft mir nicht viel digga. Ich brauch gute erfahrungsberichte.

>PS have fun with programming excel and jobs with 30% business meetings

Doesn't sound too bad to be honest.

Naja. Physik abzubrechen war schon 'ne schlaue Entscheidung. Ungelogen.

Wenn Du das Itneresseund Durchhaltevermögen + Frustrationstoleranz hast, würde ich eindeutig Elektrotechnik nehmen. Notfalls kann man dann noch einen fachnahen Master Richtung CE draufsetzen.
Und sicher werden die erste 3 Semester hart. Aber mit bisschen Zeitmanagement, am Ball bleiben und Vor- und Nachbereiten und sich vorallem Allgemein jeden Tag mit den Stoff beschäftigen. Das setzt dich schonmal höher als jene, die nach 1-3 Semestern verschwinden weil sie einfach denken, ein Studium ist mit der Schule vergleichbar. Wenn nötig, dann für 1-2 Fächer eine saubere 3er Lerngruppe bilden und am Ball bleiben.

Beruflich gesehen ist ET schon eine sahne Sache. Kommt halt aber auch immer drauf an, was man machen will und vorallem auch, wo man studieren will. ET würde ich z.B. ungern an einer Uni oder TU studieren, da einerseits wirklich viel Druck dann ist mit Theorie, die man nicht braucht (solang Du sowieso nicht in die Forschung willst) sondern würde eine gute (!) FH empfehlen. Stofflich ist das nicht super viel abgespackter, sondern nur der Fokus ist ein wenig anders sowie dieser Druck (z.B. alle Prüfungen bis 3/4 Semester geschafft sonst Eximamtrikulation) ist dann weg.

Is that why Americans with engineering degrees have no trouble getting jobs elsewhere and why relatively few schools outside the US have engineering grads that can get jobs in the US and why indians and chinamen flock to the US to study math, physics, and engineering?

Now you're just making shit up.

Right, because the driving force behind writing a program to solve ODEs is that you have exactly one ODE to solve and several minutes to do it.

I'm sorry but that was literally the most moronic thing I'll hear all day. Do you think it's even possible to write a program to do something that you don't know how to do yourself? How does that make any sense?

See I've observed the opposite from my undergrad EE degree. When physics/math majors were in my classes on electromagnetics, controls, or communications, they would regularly be shitting their pants. I had two math majors who were constantly hunting me down for homework help.

>6 exams every semester.
If I had 6 exams a semester I would be delighted.

Do EE op. The only thing you miss out from CE is programming skills which you can teach yourself or learn on the job. I've seen EEs get computer engineering and software engineering jobs all the time, however the opposite is not as common.

I believe we have some of the greatest engineering feats in the world. Prove me wrong.