What does Eastern philosophy have that Western philosophy doesn't?

What does Eastern philosophy have that Western philosophy doesn't?

Feel-good hubris.

Excuse me?

>What does Eastern Philosophy have that Western Philosophy doesn't?
Drivel.

/thread

advice which improves being which is what at bottom the majority of people getting into philosophy want, probably more than even the average person

western philosophy is actually shit, 99% of it is arbitrary and irrelevant

"He who has decided that his own comment ended a thread is but a faggot."

-Anonymous Eastern Philosopher

the truth

That's fine.

I don't mind there being 'Realphilosophie' (See: Realpolitik) for the masses. In fact I think it's necessary.

Actual knowledge, however, entails something nobler; the pursuit of truth.

If you want to have the most perfect/stable society attainable, then you needn't look any further than Confucius. He figured it out millennia ago.

t. Mong

>Respect elder
>Honour famiry
>Obey aufority
>Perform rite
>Become junzi

Sounds good to me, senpai.

Simply put, an emphasis on direct experience. Both explore different parts of the human condition that sometimes overlap. I think a study of both is beneficial to understanding the world and becoming a better person along the way. A lot of 19th century western philosophy is a formalization of concepts explored by eastern philosophy for ages. The paralleles between buddhism and phenomenology are quite striking at times.

I would way rather be a machine then a faggy garden. Flowers and vines aren't going to increase my squat strength.

Also,

>Eastern """""""medicine""""""""

It's appalling that people with the high average intelligence of the Chinese still fall for that quackery.

t. feminist POC cultural marxist SJW

This is true, it gets gradually more and more worthless the further away you get from platonism, by the time of Descartes it's devolved into complete arbitrary nonsense.

>Implying my daily dose of ground-up extinct black rhino harm isn't putting my masculinity gainz through the roof

If you're looking for the pursuit of truth then it could and has been argued by many western academics that have been influenced by eastern writings that to experience being without the illusion of the self is one of the most fundamental ways to experience/investigate the truth of being so this kind of condescension is probably only warranted for retards who don't know what they're talking about

t. essentialist christfag

you sound like an insecure faggot

bet you can't squat 3plate either you weak piece a shit

"Eastern Philosophy" is too diverse to give a non-meme answer.

>China thrives as an ordered, civilized and cohesive functioning society in the 21st century
>Christendom is literally dead while the feet of post-Enlightenment liberal degeneracy stamps all over its dead body

The East got it right, the West has failed.

>implying cultural marxism isn't the logical conclusion of western philosophy
thank you

>non-meme answer
What did he mean by this?

I know, I agree with you.

>Tfw no filiality

>what did he meme by this

>The paralleles between buddhism and phenomenology are quite striking at times.
Any examples? Do you have some books to recommend?

Stop.

Actual med-student reporting in, you fuckers step aside and listen to wisdom.

So Western medicine is based on the concept of disease, and very much based on evidence. Those two pillars are very beneficial, since our medicine can be argued to be the better of the two, but it also has its caveats. For example, it's not part of the Western medical culture to teach how to develop a balanced and healthy body when it's not sick: while we do give instructions on how to keep your body inside the "good statistics", we only really treat you when you feel sick, and you only really go to the doctors and submit yourself to the experience of waiting in a hospital when you feel trully sick. That can lead to people who, eventhough they are theoretically healthy in all the books, do not "feel" healthy, and that has some pretty big impacts on, well, the health, especially the immune system.

Eastern medicine, on the other hand, is based on empirical concepts developed mainly through a basis of sensibleness. So, while if you get cancer or another more serious disease it will do fuck all to help you, it's much better in a "day-by-day" basis. The "doctors" of eastern medicine operate much closer to the community in the eastern culture, and the patient is much more proactive with his own health, leading to people actively wanting to feel better. This has great effects on the overall base state of your body, and that is why we get chinese grannies with 1000 years old, if they don't get unlucky to get an actual hard disease.

Of course, the Eastern Medicine is ill equipped in this day and age compared to the Western one, but that doesnt mean we don't have a lot to learn from it.

>le actual medfag face
Fuck off

Stability is debatable. Confucianism was very akin to the benevolent feudal European ideal, and in both cases it was unappealing if you were an ambitious commoner. Hence the frequent, massive civil wars. Legalism on the other hand was more efficient, but to use Veeky Forums lingo, cucks got mad their spooks were busted and demanded the "traditional" system

Way I see it, you gotta balance the two. Allow dynamism and new blood without completely demolishing the jenga tower of the class tower. Qin Shi Huangdi got that, so did Augustus

>you sound like an insecure faggot
>bet you can't squat 3plate either you weak piece a shit

Wow sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Maybe you should take your menstruation pills big guy.

No, I can't squat that many plates. But I'm not going to get there with the diet and medical care of China. Seriously I know these people, they get sick, like a bad flu or something, and then they go to a "Traditional Practitioner" who gives them a concoction of herbs that only makes it worse. Then when their body finally recovers on its own they attribute it to the magic potion.

I know some really strong Chinese guys but on average they're short and frail.

>no protons
>no fat
>just noodle

Far back as Sun Tzu people were ridiculing such charlatans. But tell an Asian peasant something is "traditional" and he'll fall over himself at the chance to sell you his daughter for dried tiger cock

Anything's better than that retard Laozi.

You would think a med-fag would know a thing or two about the subject he spends most of his adult life studying, dummy.

Oh wow, I misread the OP as being eastern vs. western medicine for some reason.

>tfw I am the dummy after all

>he thought "IT" was literally a thing

The civil war had something to do with slavery, but it was mainly about state rights.

Checkmate.

that whole imagine is made to make western medicine look bad huh

Actual answer here:

A living community of practitioners with vast experience in a 'technology of the self'.

Eastern philosophies like Buddhism have communities of people who have dedicated their life to a philosophical way of life and a praxis - meditation. Western philosophy is excellent at perfecting arguments and logical analysis, superior to eastern philosophy, however, as a way of life, it is [mostly] dead. There are no communities of cynics, epicureans and stoics anymore (yeah I know there is an online movement of some people attempting to revive it, but it is not the same as a living tradition that is generations in the making). There is monasticism in western religions - but they are theists, so for a non-theist like me, Buddhism is the best option for a "philosophy of life".

Their meditation tradition is top notch and it is amazingly effective.

States's rights to own slaves, as explicitly mentioned in several of the articles of secession

There's the central point in both of the nonexistence of self, a recognition of the artificiality of "isness", of things we used to conceive of as possessing an essence being merely recognition of patterns. This observation leads to a distinction between the world we perceive and the underlying reality unaccessible to ordinary consciousness. This is a central precept of both buddhism and kantian philosophy. Kant's deontological ethics are remindful of confucius as well. Schopenhauer often praised indian religion, commenting on the beauty of the upanishads, and it seems to me eastern philosophy might be the greatest influence behind his idea of the world as will and representation, after Kant. I dont have any books that lay out this parallel clearly, its mostly based on my own observations. There's probably one out there though.

>A living community of practitioners with vast experience in a 'technology of the self'.

Not really. Good luck finding that in real life.

Thanks.

T. Someone who hasn't read a single work in Western canon

A good way to see if someone is a complete sperging retard is to see the concentration of buzzwords they use in arguments

This

It's kind of like extended presocratics desu

melanin