I've wasted much of my life, how do I get into STEM before my neuroplasticity declines too much:

I'm twenty-one now and have wasted much of my life, some of it being my fault, some being the fault of others:

1) Wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until already an adult.
2) Had a difficult time in primary, secondary and early stages of college due to ASD.
3) Had everything fed to me on a sliver poon and thus lack motivation.
4) Had a daughter at age twenty.

So, as of now, I am enrolled in college on an "Access to Higher Education Diploma" in science; modules in chemistry, biology and higher math (for some reason they don't offer physics directly).

My fiancée wants me to go into medicine, because of the monetary aspect, I don't really find the field interesting and probably lack the social graces to be of any use as a doctor or surgeon. I am personally more interested in physics, mathematics; cryptology and computer science.

So, what would be the best course of action for above described situation?

Other urls found in this thread:

psychcentral.com/lib/debunking-6-myths-about-asperger-syndrome/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Causes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you're already out of middle school(which you obviously are), it's too late. Sorry.

Wrong board. Go to /adv/ next time.

I don't know if this is bait but I'll answer,

Medicine is a long journey, and you will hate it unless you are passionate for it. For medicine you will need to take 4 years for undergraduate, another 4 years for medical school. and then one year as an intern, and minimum of 3 for residency.

PhD is similar, 4 years undergraduate, ~5 years for PhD, then maybe a post doc.

If you're interested then do STEM, there isn't a way to get into STEM, you just go to college and declare the major.

If I was you I'd just do a BS in Engineering or CS so you can provide for your family.

>a sliver poon

>*silver spoon
Next time, I should proof read.

>My fiancée wants me to go into medicine, because of the monetary aspect,
Oh yes, med school is certainly not a highly competitive massive time and money investment to become a glorified drug dealer (unless you become a surgeon, which is maximum liability).

>I am personally more interested in physics
Theoretical? Experimental? Applications? In any case, I wouldn't know.

>mathematics
Don't do that, extremely competitive for the privilege to write papers all day without any obvious applications.

>cryptology and computer science
Best route, don't go too pure, worst case you can still get a $30+/hr job only really working 3-5 hours of your 8-hour shift helping tech-incompetent idiots put together libraries into a working solution for their particular problem, which will hopefully be somewhat interesting to you.

If you're not a brainlet and care about money go for actuarial science

Medical school in the UK is easier to get into, mostly because no one wants to be a medical professional one over here. Plan was to emigrate to the US, if I had gone down that route.

Well so far, and you have said CS. I guess I'll look into going into computer science then.

Thanks, guys.

I have a high IQ if that counts? I've just wasted it for the majority of my life.

High IQ doesn't mean anything if you don't do anything with it.

What does an education path for that look like? Curious as a loser who can math.

I know, I was just answering 's question.

Fuck OP i'm you without the kid.

Don't do medicine unless you couldn't picture yourself doing anything else. you don't seem to even want to do it so you're answering your own question. Go into physics and computer science or engineering. Engineering/CS would be the easiest since you have a kid and fiancee and need to make some decent bucks ASAP.

Go into engineering(and CS would be a good combo)

graduate in four years

make 50K-60K starting, be making 90K-100K in a decade.

no problems with that if it's what interests you. you'll be able to support a family no problem even on that starting salary.

It certainly seems like engineering and computer science are my best bets.

>Don't do that, extremely competitive for the privilege to write papers all day without any obvious applications.

You're thinking of pure Math. I guess applied Math is the same except you can actually convince people to give you money in that.

>Theoretical? Experimental? Applications? In any case, I wouldn't know.

I would imagine Physics is on the same plane as Math. When you're doing Theoretical Physics, you're a few steps away from being an applied Mathematician.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend Math in OP's case. Only do that if you have to and if OP had to, he wouldn't be here, he'd already know that he had to do it. If you decide to pursue Math, couple it with finance or computer science or do statistics. Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, and Actuarial Science sound like the ways for you to go.

Thanks, user. This is actually all very enlightening.

I heared you can get computer science jobs with a mathematics major + the programming courses from the CS department. So you go for that.

for anyone that has any interest in science/mathematics/engineering, it's their best bet.

I guess I'll focus all of my attention into the higher maths then and keep biology and chemistry on the back-burner.

statistics is math you moron
you will need proofs analysis algebra to do probability and mathematical statistics

Some places require bio as a prereq for engineering, randomly. I took molecular cellular biology and loved it. I'd love to do bio and get into research but idk how the money thing would work out

>1) Wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until already an adult.

but if you have aspergers you're more likely to end up in STEM in the first place. This is something that should have made you more likely to end up there, not something that would delay you like you claim.

>4) Had a daughter at age twenty.

You fucked up.

>4) Had a daughter at age twenty.
Seriously what the fuck

Do something you'll enjoy and you can be great at. Money's not everything. However if you become highly skilled or knowledgable the cash will be there

How did you get a girlfriend with assburgers?

Get off my board normie.

Do I have to post my fucking diagnosis or something? -.-

you made an issue out of being an assburgers

>Had a daughter at age twenty

Who even does this

Because it caused many issues, it is pertinent to why I fucked up.

How did you fail to learn basic grammar? It was him who had the assburgers, not the gf.

>assburgers
>wife and kids
KILL YOURSELF NIGGER
there's nothing fucking wrong with you if you can get laid you're just making fucking excuses for being a lazy fuck.

Ah yes, because symptoms of Asperger's are the same. Kys.

Without breeding, how do you think the genetics that cause Asperger's are passed on? That sure ruins your moronic theory you fat fucker.

Of course it is you dumb shit, that's why it's a syndrome. If anything could be aspergers then any snowflake fuck like you for instance could claim to have it. There is one list of symptoms and that is the same in every book.

Holy fuck.
>not knowing anything about the diagnosis
I don't remember it saying anything about infertility?
Not to mention, it is scale of how severe the symptoms are and how many of them you have.
Not everyone with Asperger's has ALL of the Asperger's syndrome, you fucking raging moron.

psychcentral.com/lib/debunking-6-myths-about-asperger-syndrome/

Doesn't have to be genetics that causes it. Even if it was genetical it could be a recessive trait that could be passed on by people who dont have it in their phenotype.

True, but it would still manifest. For instance, most people in my family exhibit Aspie traits.

If it's genetical and recessive it wouldn't manifest in all carriers only if you got it from both mom and dad.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Causes

Hans Asperger described common symptoms among his patients' family members, especially fathers, and research supports this observation and suggests a genetic contribution to Asperger syndrome.
>common symptoms among his patients' family members

"Evidence for a genetic link is the tendency for AS to run in families and an observed higher incidence of family members who have behavioral symptoms similar to AS"

"ost research suggests that all autism spectrum disorders have shared genetic mechanisms, but AS may have a stronger genetic component than autism."

Sounds like it's already too late.

I was fearing that.

>I've wasted much of my life, how do I get into STEM
If you don't want to waste the rest of your entire life too, don't do it.

I'm an Aspie, this is basically the only thing that interests me.

Dont go chasin waterfalls
Listen to the rivers and the lakes that you used to
I know that you're gunna have it your way or nothin at all
But i think you're movin too faaast