What are the soon-to-be advances within computers? Will be going into either software engineering or computer science...

What are the soon-to-be advances within computers? Will be going into either software engineering or computer science, want to know if there's any interesting readings.

>inb4 meme degree
I don't care, I find it interesting

Other urls found in this thread:

ieng6.ucsd.edu/~cs110x/sp16/
cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/fa15/cse110-a/index/syllabus_index.html
amazon.com/NVIDIA-Jetson-TK1-Development-Kit/dp/B00L7AWOEC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Quantum computing is the next and last advancement in the field of computers. A computer science degree wont be enough for that.

Q U A N T U M C O M P U T I N G

What would that be within? Computer engineering I assume?

Sounds neat, but what in the fuck. Explain to me like i'm retarded

CS barely had any physics, of course it isn't enough, CE is closer.

Could I do a CE/CS double major or is that just way too much at one time?

check em

If you want to do quantum computing you need to study Physics.

>Computer engineering I assume?

Not him, but you need a degree with strong emphasis in:

-Computer Science
-Electronical Engineering
-Physics

I think Computer Engineering is the one that is the closest, CS and Software Eng lacks the hardware part and EE doesn't have enough theory about Computing, though EE with some specialization in the computer side could maybe be useful.

That depends on your capabilities user.

For example, my country doesn't have a CE degree, which is what I really want to do, it only has a Computing Engineering degree (a mix of CS and Software Eng, that lacks all about Electronics, Linear Systems, Digital Systems and many relevant stuff to CE).

So if I wanted to be something resembling a CE major I would have to double major in this ComputingE and EE (or leave the country), which is too fucking much for me (I have to work though, but even if I didn't...).

Actually I'm at a point that I don't fucking know what to study.

My school, UC irvine, offers a combination of CS and CE called CSE. So yes, it is possible, but a lot harder.

Lol? You just need to learn linear algebra and quantum mechanics to be equipped to study quantum computation, unless you're talking about building the damn things.

Bullshit. At very most, and this is a huge if, quantum computers will be specialized hardware like GPUs or SoundBlasters. They would be useful for a handful of algorithms. They aren't going to be running your OS.

I think computer hardware and engineering is hitting a dead end. I was admitted into Boulder's ECE Computer Engineering program and they pretty much told me as much, and these are the people who train Intel engineers.

We are getting to the physical limits of what we can do in terms of clock rates and logic density. We have pipelined and almost parallelized traditional computers as much as possible. To overcome physical limits without drastic changes, optical technologies may replace some buses, but that will only buy a little more speed. New designs will have to leverage new architectures, which will call for drastically new thinking to algorithms. Such architectures would be fabric computers (computers with many cores that can only access memory of local and adjacent cores, in contrast to main memory being accessible by all CPUs in a multicore system), optical technologies (technologies like couplers, amplifiers, buses, modulators/demodulators, etc.), neural networks (...a learning computah...), and a partial return to analog computing (which quantum is arguably to some degree. Solve problems using physics).

Of course there will still need to be people for rank and file stuff, but the market is shinking. Intel just laid off +13kiloengineers. That should be raising red flags left and right. The point is the Moore's Law era is at an end, and there are no more break through ideas that are going to push general computing farther, only specialized solutions.

Fear not, along with new hardware comes new ways of thinking about software (for example GPU computing), and it will take time for us to explore hardware and develop theories to make the best use out of it.

At the end of the day, I'd say suggest semiconductor engineering.

you sound like a 14yo massive faggot
wtf is software engineering is that a real major at usa schools

The cool stuff at least.

you sound like a terrible programmer

Most public US schools do not let you do that as there is too much overlap.
It would be like a double major in civil and mechanical engineering.

Most legit CS programs have a course called - software engineering - but not a major by that name. I went to average UC San Diego.

To be a code monkey software engineer all you need to do is complete the modules on Code Academy.

ieng6.ucsd.edu/~cs110x/sp16/
cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/fa15/cse110-a/index/syllabus_index.html

CS is one of the most important fields for quantum computation right now. I mean, I suppose I'm biased, since I do crypto shit, but from our perspective, they're going to be built sooner or later (we currently put the estimate of a practical one being build in ~20 years). We're the ones who have a serious fucking deadline, in the form of rewriting basically all non-symmetric crypto ever invented.

You need a little bit more than that, but nothing you couldn't learn quickly if you're half decent at linear algebra. But yeah, nothing that requires knowing any actual physics.

Just like in the future, computers will take up entire rooms, and only the richest folk will own them? You have no idea what you are talking about, and like most anime avatar fags, you have some delusional sense of being an authority on something that you have imaginary facts to back up. You are a fat lonely virgin who hasnt studied computers any more than building gaming rigs. You wanted to go to school at Boulder for computer engineering but didnt have the ambition/grades/money/intelligence so now you lie about it on an anonymous image board. Quantum computing is the future, anyone who is slightly knowledgeable in this matter agrees. While quantum computers are still in their infancy, they show enormous potential. They ARE the new arcitecture that you mention in your post. It will be years and years before they are useful for anything at the consumer level, but its happening reguardless of your misguided beliefs.

burn...

Strong AI is coming.

christ, that came out of nowhere

why are you so angry

i agree with the gist of this. OP, quantum computing will be heavily controlled for a while, it will be ridiculously expensive, export restricted, seen at NSA and major labs, not available for plebs to break strong encryption, even if you could afford it.

the next big thing is literally GPU computing. but on embedded computers. for example, this is the board NVIDIA is pushing for developers atm: amazon.com/NVIDIA-Jetson-TK1-Development-Kit/dp/B00L7AWOEC

they also have a version that you can only get if you are a member of the automotive industry. and that is what you need to be thinking of. the kind of computing power, signal analysis, mathematics, etc. that you will need to accomplish collision avoidance, computer vision, etc. on next gen automobiles. or other massive opportunities in robotics developing right fucking now. notice that Targey and Walmart are already experimenting with inventory bots in-store and in-warehouse. know your image processing. know control algorithms. know embedded computing. know parallelism.

More like low quality bait.

I've studied quantum. I know hardware. I know software. My small lab shares space with cutting edge quantum researches famous for the amount of qubits they can simultaneously and reliably entangle, which has enabled their work in quantum communications.

All I got to say is that if you think quantum computing is for general computing, I've got a Popular Science to sell you.

It will be useful for secure communication, some non-deterministic algorithms, and the simulation of quantum systems. It will not be useful for things like operating systems, most application programming, graphics, storage, or positronic brains.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, please, inform me of how you'd use a quantum computer differently.

Not him but in Canada SE degrees are a thing. It's like CS but less focus on theory and more on project management, and includes all the engineering core courses that other engineers take (so you take some EE courses for control theory/signal processing/etc, general engineering coures). It's an accredited engineering degree just like electrical/mechanical/etc engineering.