Tragedy

What are some examples of senseless death in tragic literature? I'm talking the on purpose killing of someone who turns the other cheek and loves their neighbor, has ren (humanitas), and perhaps most poignant of all, talent. From my understanding, most tragedy involves retribution, Richard III deserves it, etc. But reality has no shortage of senseless death.

From my limited understanding I can't really come up with any proper examples.

Ivan the Terrible killing his son for not beating his wife comes to mind. But it wasn't on purpose. Or was it? And the scene comes from history, so it's not really artifice. Reality strikes again. Fuck.

What I am looking for is a cross between this and the burning of the temple of Artemis.

Iphigenia is kind of like this, but had a very mechanical explanation, which keep it in bounds for tradition. Are these hard limits? Is it impossible to create a fiction sadder than the truth?

Pretty much all of Titus Andronicus.

Literally all of fiction because it was needlessly created for your enjoyment.

That's not a reason. I doubt they were thinking of me at all

In b4 Jesus Christ

RIP Grimmie.

Crime and punishment

who has the video of her getting shot. I want to see

Mercutio's in R&J. One of the heaviest deaths in Shakespeare because it is so utterly pointless and miserable. It comes early in the play, and surprises the audience. The mood shifts heavily thereafter; the air of levity and innocence vanishes. His final words -- "A plague on both your houses" -- you might imagine to be echoed by every soldier who died fighting in meaningless wars not chosen by them.

Thought that was boxxy

this and the stranger.
it's about time you got into absurdist/existentialist fiction, user.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

>the on purpose killing of someone who turns the other cheek and loves their neighbor
The bible, desu

Who's this qt

She was cute, but I never heard of before now. I'm sure it was the same for most other people. Why is everyone pretending that everybody knew her?

A Farewell to Arms

But even the stranger had a sort of logic to it. He shot a native. He merely acted on the prejudices of his race.

>being this wrong

She was a smash player. Some /r9k/ fag went to her autograph table, and she wanted to give him a hug, but he shot her in the face.

The day the vidya died.

woah rip

So it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ethnic tension in postwar French colonies? He wasn't a metaphor for the average frenchman?

end yourself

you literally posted in an earlier thread "I'm trying to turn every thread into a sjw shitstorm" but it's like you're not even trying with this weak ass bait

Are you even trying

Cao Cao killing his beloved uncle's family over a misunderstanding.

Gilgamesh killing the god of the forest.

> I didn't know her because I live under a rock therefore nobody else knew her

death can't be senseless because death is in itself order whereas life presents chaos

Blood Meridian is obvious-- you really ought to read Blood Meridian.

I don't know of any books like it, honestly.

There's a battle scene towards the end of Les Miserables that might have what you're looking for too. Lots of the same strewn through War and Peace.

I bet most war novels, really-- but Blood Meridian especially

Have you ever been in a morgue? Dead bodies exhibit all sorts of chaos, oozing, infestations, the ecosystem of death.

Christina :' (

That "chaos" is life, which is orderly in its own way.
Honestly, the concepts of chaos and order are nonsense.

For what purpose

Life is order which brings disorder, and non-life is disorder which brings order. But some lives can have a normative influence. In the short time scale in which we live, we will never encounter the eternal truths of infinite processes.

In the short term qts are all we have.

Mutter Courage.
Possibly Oidipus.

The guy in stoner, although he was obnoxious

As her brother took out the gunman we will never know for sure. Hence this thread. Is there something about tragedy that we always have to look for meaning? What do you do when you don't find any?

Why couldn't the beta uprising go after Kanye West or someone who actually deserves it?

My best guess is that he felt that he could never have her in life, but killing her was a way to lay his claim. And he succeeded, in a way. He took her away from everyone else.

who has the video. there must be a video!

I shit you not, her favorite book was Ecclesiastes. She had a tattoo that said "All is Vanity." For your perusal, here is the rest of that passage:

1 The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Vanity of vanities!”
says the Teacher.
"All is vanity!"
What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

I had never heard of this girl till she got gatted. is that wrong?

>The guy in stoner

There's only like six characters, can't you remember names?

It's been a while, but Dave Masters i think.

Dumbledore dying was pretty tragic desu

Jesus Christ

I doubt it. It all happened so fast. Grimmie was about to embrace him when he whipped out his sidearm and shot her three times in the head. By all accounts she fell like a dead log. No John Lennon-esque staggering - "I've been shot." No slow tumble. She dropped like a stone. Didn't even have a chance to stop smiling. She never stopped.