This video will show how the piano would sound like when its equally divided100 per octave

youtube.com/watch?v=shcrw2vtmJU

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnlgXFAfd4
youtube.com/watch?v=EfJbS5jPiOk
youtu.be/p5IAohoYKaQ
youtu.be/NBOdiZpx_5E
youtube.com/watch?v=v5sI-s4E9js
youtube.com/watch?v=cfuWj4YZNXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6HKrFFM_4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKFeuzGEns
youtube.com/watch?v=dfKXAzzPb3I
youtube.com/watch?v=4qPd4tueFbM
szynalski.com/tone-generator/
youtube.com/watch?v=pLfYdfO3bgE
youtube.com/watch?v=hqZ5Twy6_Zg
youtube.com/watch?v=8CTGD1On5_g
youtube.com/watch?v=6ODu-7eD0-s
youtube.com/watch?v=xVZy9GUeMqY
youtube.com/watch?v=Gcgawrr2xao
youtube.com/watch?v=spKbLltV9sU
youtube.com/watch?v=ilkkvAkotF8
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZongEbbsfw
youtube.com/watch?v=muCPjK4nGY4
youtube.com/watch?v=IThkVQNBEeQ
bulletforge.org/u/aienbear123/p/kana-boss-battle
twitter.com/gondayu?lang=ja
soundcloud.com/gondayu
youtube.com/watch?v=lEadqtRlALs
youtube.com/watch?v=rT-Mrh3I9Vs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1bnvSe7n4Kg
youtube.com/watch?v=cA9AXvD09CM
youtube.com/watch?v=t7Cq3pbcMkI
musictheory.net/exercises
youtu.be/g3yj6u44Y9w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is neat. And pointless.
But still neat.

The the whole 88-key keyboard only covers 88/100ths of an octave? Weird. Why not start with the standard 12 steps on an octave and divide those in half 3 times to get 12*8=96 steps per octave? Maybe it doesn't matter as it would sound similar.

This is acoustic 96 tone piano. But very rare m.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnlgXFAfd4

nice, thanks!

check polychromatic music on TED. She plays 106 tone synth at the end
youtube.com/watch?v=EfJbS5jPiOk

Indeed. Microtonal pianos are nothing new, although I am yet to see someone make good proper use of one without just going from the highest to the lowest note like a retard.

nothing new but why not so well known?
because they are all just weird and boring?

There's a mexican composer called Julian Carrillo, that makes microtonal music. Have a listen.
youtu.be/p5IAohoYKaQ

I'm not that guy but I was reading a book about this. The author argued that it sounded weird to us because we weren't accustomed to it and that in an alternate universe it would be plausible for humans to write music in a completely different system from us and have it sound completely alien to us as well. There was also something about animals hearing things differently but I don't quite remember.

It reminded me of a talk I watched that talked about language, music, and people who had brain damage. In this talk they presented a bunch of research about how grammar and tone deafness (they made a great effort to distinguish between real tone deafness caused by brain damage and people who are just noobs at music) are related. In particular they showed that when a person hears a note that's in the wrong key (within a composition) similar shit goes on inside the brain as when a person hears some bad grammar inside a sentence (like a word in the wrong tense). Furthermore, people with brain damage who had trouble identifying tones being out of tune also had trouble identifying improper grammar in sentences.

In a sense, I get the sense that "understanding" musical harmony is somewhat like understanding a specific language.

wow I love that. is that a piano piece? I can hear some kind of strings but I'm not sure what it is

Because humans are fucking stupid and don't actually listen to music. There are plenty of short tunes where you can retune an instrument to a just intonation and you'll get a beautiful sound

equal temperament a shit

by the way, the way you space notes on equal temperament is you space each step a twelfth root of 2, not sure what's in the OP video because people are saying stupid shit about octaves in this thread

Thank you, I thought those posts about octaves were retarded as well.

It's beautiful. It is composed for micro-intervallic harps.

Watching Julian Carrillo's harp. This video might seem retard to people here but its beautiful.
youtu.be/NBOdiZpx_5E

japs at it again

Yes, I'm familiar with him. While his work is certainly more complex than random up and down glissandos, I still find his music to still be somewhat lacking. I'm thinking more of using microtones to make tranditional music, something along the lines of
youtube.com/watch?v=v5sI-s4E9js

That's quite interesting. I've always thought about the relationship between music and language. but music can be purely mathematical matter and also language-cal. Really mysterious existence.

That reminds me of Wyschnegradsky.....

Lol he was trying to be famous

It's not a piano, so maybe you won't count it, but I've always liked this guy's songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=cfuWj4YZNXQ

Thanks this is awesome! How does that open chords sound at the beginning??

You mean when he's playing the harmonics?
youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6HKrFFM_4

I see, that was open harmonics. can't be done with normal tunings right? I need to learn more of his guitar playing

I know nothing about music. Can someone explain what this is? Does each key have 100 different pitches of sound playing simultaneously?

octave is usually divided to 12 pitches but in this video the keys are divided 100 per octave. the sound difference is obvious even if you don't know anything about music?

I found the talk I mentioned. You can skip to about 12 minutes. Hard to believe I watched it so many years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKFeuzGEns

The pentatonic scale developed in each culture independently, is something babies react to more strongly than other musical systems. And is basic on simple frequency ratios. Not so arbitrary.

Thank you! I must admit that I want some experiences of hearing music with damaged brain. Sometimes I hear music or noise that I don't hardly understand but probably they always feel like that

Aren't you a cantankerous faggot?
log(f*2**(88/100)/f)/log(2**(1/12))=10.56 halfsteps, or a minor seventh & change.
Try candy flipping.
Blues literally babby tier.

just found this. microtonal God was in Mexico... this arpa sounds really similar to the video
youtube.com/watch?v=dfKXAzzPb3I

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I KNEW IT HAD TO EXIST THE INSTANT IT CROSSED MY MIND AND ITS EVERYTHING I EVER IMAGINED!!

youtube.com/watch?v=4qPd4tueFbM

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

the pitch difference between two keys next to each other is hardly noticeable
if he actually played some tune and missed the right key, most people wouldnt notice

why have keys at all? at some point you might as well have a continuous touch pad from one end to the other.

If the person were playing a normal song in a normal key and played the wrong note then I may not notice it. However, watching the person in the video playing out of that context I can really tell the difference between two notes next to each other.

I guess it will be difficult to tell the difference for anyone when its like 200 per octave

try it...
440*2^(1/100) = 443 (approx)
Try 440 and then 443 here

szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I can hear the difference, but it's not a lot. I don't think I'd notice in passing. If you run in two windows, you can hear the beats... unless that's just some other artifact.

I suspect it may actually rely more their use in the composition.

Like if you're given a picture with several colors you may not notice that it actually includes multiple shades of the same color unless you see them near each other (so that they contrast). Similarly it may be possible that other parts of the composition may lead you to think that you have more or less shades of a color than you actually have (optical illusions of sort caused by the context in the image).

you're right. I just meant for pure interval testing

I've been browsing youtube, there actually seems to be a surprising amount of microtonal music out there.

youtube.com/watch?v=pLfYdfO3bgE
a demo of more stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=hqZ5Twy6_Zg

Singing in 19 equal temperament
youtube.com/watch?v=8CTGD1On5_g

youtube.com/watch?v=6ODu-7eD0-s

youtube.com/watch?v=xVZy9GUeMqY
youtube.com/watch?v=Gcgawrr2xao

oh yeah
Pachelbel's canon in 12,12+19,19 equal temperament
youtube.com/watch?v=spKbLltV9sU

You are so microtonal LOL
youtube.com/watch?v=ilkkvAkotF8

Very interesting!

MonoNeon (microtonal bass) + Reggie Watts & Jack Black youtube.com/watch?v=0ZongEbbsfw

this is pretty badass
youtube.com/watch?v=muCPjK4nGY4

waooooooowwwww!!!!!! That's so funny but scary

I wanna hear that speaking piano says some sexy words

Is there any good way to use microtones for mental health?

I need microtonal sleep 100 REM per 1 octave

{(-_-)}

Sevish is cool indeed

I can't get enough of this ridiculous touhou track. I'm upset I can't find more like it.

Gameplay video fits well with the track too.
youtube.com/watch?v=IThkVQNBEeQ

who composed that????

Took me a long time to find source.

So, there's some game maker software out there that lets people make Touhou style games called Touhou Danmakufu. Players can program levels as scripts and distribute them to other players. At some point a guy named allenbear123 made a really shitty script and a lot of people made fun of him. Afterwards another guy made an account named ai|enbear123 and made another purposely bad script to make fun of the original allenbear123. This script used the music mentioned and it can be found here.

bulletforge.org/u/aienbear123/p/kana-boss-battle
>Music:
>> music by 権太夫
>> song name is 黎明のミクロインターヴァル ("Microintervals of Dawn")

Seems that translates to Gondayu and the guy has a twitter account at:
twitter.com/gondayu?lang=ja
They also have a soundcloud at:
soundcloud.com/gondayu

Unfortunately nothing on the soundcloud sounds anything like this work.

Here's the song on his youtube channel.
youtube.com/watch?v=lEadqtRlALs
There seems to be more strange sounding music on his youtube but since it's all in moonspeak I'm not sure if it's actually multitonal or if my ears are broken now from listening to multitonal and touhou music all day.
youtube.com/watch?v=rT-Mrh3I9Vs

Thanks for finding him!

Dear Japan,

Thanks, I think.

Only one in this thread that actually sounds good.
And holy shit this one is good.

maybe that's because that piece is in just intonation. Your musical sense is delicate, I think.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=1bnvSe7n4Kg

interesting but not really microtonal and sexy

How about some microtonal freak-out pop music?

youtube.com/watch?v=cA9AXvD09CM

>Aren't you a cantankerous faggot?
no U

they are kawaii

Introducing the 'fluid piano'
youtube.com/watch?v=t7Cq3pbcMkI

guise how do I develop perfect pitch?

musictheory.net/exercises

ear training exercises. get a tuning fork and play with tuners

stop drinking coffee

I fucking hate that expression.
That's why I smashed heads on HS.

why?
I love coffee

most people can learn to transcribe music by ear with training, but they do it by understanding the song intervals.

perfect pitch for single notes is a genetic defect.
most of such people can't even enjoy music if there's some off key.

you can get an ear trainer software.

>most of such people can't even enjoy music if there's some off key.
I always found this idea amusing, particularly after learning that all scales are flawed either way. Sounds like peak autism, being bothered by perceived imperfection in something inherently always imperfect.

maybe im retarded but:
can't one just memorize the pitch of one particular note?
and then why can't you just do the same for more keys?

I think that's possible if it's just one note even if you are already adult

this was excellent

>even if you are already adult
The pop culture interpretation of neuroplasticity will never die, huh?

hahahahahaha right

Almost anyone can learn relative pitch, from what I understand. Meaning, you memorize one note and how it sounds, and then you figure out the others from there. I.e. memorize a b, then go down a whole step to sing an a.

However, perfect pitch is not something most people have.

I can actually the picth of G in silence but when i'm hearing music I can't recall anything. I need to pause the music and reacall g and have to think about the key of the music and I will have to pause the music and have to think again and again even though my relative pitch is relatively good.

>someone said something that disagrees with what the media told me is right, i'm going to disregard this and move on asap

Yeah let's go and move

Music noob here.

What's the point of barely touching a string and then removing your finger? I.e. how does it differ from not touching the string at all, with the exception that you won't get another tone for a microsecond?

I thought harmonics were related to the subdivision of strings on string instruments, so in that framework it makes even less sense to me that you aren't actually holding down the string when playing harmonics.

People don't like hearing different things

is that because God made people so?

10 liter coffee will kill you

Thats sad

>Why isn't that kind of piano well known?

>but muh OCTAVES!
kek

>Because people usually don't tend to listen to music.
Agreed.

This is what happens when pseudo-scientists get into art... crap crap and more crap

When you're plucking a string like that, once you get it started on a certain harmonic, the tone will play loudest and longest if you just let your finger off. Yes, it's based off of equal subdivisions of the string, but you won't have your finger perfectly in place, you'd most likely be a smidgen off, and even if you did have it perfect, your finger would still be dampening the string a bit, so once you get it going, taking your finger off, and just letting it do its own thing gives the longest, loudest sound.

>finger off
>based off
>smidgen off
fuck off

Those first links are amazing ! It's a style I've never heard before

>being a faggot
Now your grammar faggotry is truly something nobody ever outta put up with. Yeah, that's right, I'm calling you out. Now fuck off. I've got better things to type up, and you're just someone I'd rather not reply to.

Microtonal Arpeggio for 2 pianos (12+17 Tone Equal Temperament)

youtu.be/g3yj6u44Y9w

>So, there's some game maker software out there that lets people make Touhou style games called Touhou Danmakufu. Players can program levels as scripts and distribute them to other players. At some point a guy named allenbear123 made a really shitty script and a lot of people made fun of him. Afterwards another guy made an account named ai|enbear123 and made another purposely bad script to make fun of the original allenbear123. This script used the music mentioned and it can be found here.

interesting story/legend. thanks

That's called relative pitch, and most professional musicians have this.

Looks like I'm autistic then. But then again so are a lot of other classical musicians. Comes with the field I guess.