Why is reading so fucking boring?

why is reading so fucking boring?

Other urls found in this thread:

chronicle.com/article/We-Cant-Teach-Students-to/128400/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because you are mentally retarded. Next question.

wouldn't I just be retarded, not MENTALLY retarded?

oh shit are you getting schooled by a non-reading 'retard' m8?

>tfw reading is painful because you get distracted easily
>tfw you have to read every page multiple times

Reading for less than 20 minutes in painfully boring.
Longer then that its like something clicks and you just get immersed.

When Witty says the limit of language is the limit of understanding, does he mean that there is more to be understood, or that we only understand all that we can possibly know?

who is Witty

What the language can describe, we can know. Once language becomes unable to express a notion, it becomes an mind-boggling puzzle to us.

Because it requires concentration and a lot of people can't stop being stimulated all the time. Internet, movies, music are passive forms of entertainment unlike literature

Reading (novels) for entertainment cannot happen over night, especially If you grew up almost exclusively on video games, tv & movies like I did.

It's hard to explain the joys of reading, and it really is a dying past-time... but then I started having these daydreams of working hard all day, and then sitting down in a silent room and just reading for a few hours with sparkling water... seemed nice.

Invest in a decent ebook reader, find a nice place in your room/house and dedicate it to reading (even if it's a corner in a room)... make it comfy as possible and get a novel that interests you.

>and it really is a dying past-time
Nah m8, counter culture kids are making reading cool again

Because it turns out only a few weirdos enjoy it and everyone else is biologically wired to hate it.

chronicle.com/article/We-Cant-Teach-Students-to/128400/

fyck off nerd

>but then I started having these daydreams of working hard all day, and then sitting down in a silent room and just reading for a few hours with sparkling water... seemed nice.
LMAO wagecuck delirium

Because english is a boring language

>op eds

Join one of the bookclub threads on Veeky Forums. Having people to discuss the book with makes it less boring, and even if it's still boring, the more you read the easier it gets and therefore it gets less boring.

Working hard all day doesn't mean employment, user.

If you hate reading it means you are reading the wrong material.
I for one really dislike "adventure" stories like "In Search of the Castaways". I stopped and picked up a book that suits my interests instead.

It's not reading that is the problem, we all read a shitload of text on the Internet.
The problem is engaging with a continuous, long narrative without skimming or switching to something else that catches your attention. The effect online browsing has on concentration is well known. I was honestly MUCH better at focusing on reading when I was 15 than now at 23, it's shameful but it's true,

not the same guy, but normally to retard means to slow. so in this case, as proven by your post, you would (and will continue to be) mentally retarded.

>I was honestly MUCH better at focusing on reading when I was 15 than now at 23, it's shameful but it's true,
Same for me. Is there any way to reverse the damage?

Read more. That's all really. Pick up a book and read, often, and a lot.

>I was honestly MUCH better at focusing on reading when I was 15 than now at 23, it's shameful but it's true

To be fair though, the reading level and complexity of the language was probably different. Assuming you've moved on to better and brighter books. IF you're still reading Eragon at 23 then yeah its your focusing.

You're all wrong, mentally retarded would mean he has a mental illness or cannot control emotion, COGNITIVELY retarded is what you're looking for.

I read exclusively non-fiction nowadays, I find it impossible to finish novels.

because it is

but it makes you smarter

think of it like working out

pseud

>non-fiction
lmfao

Its not mate, you just have to deprive yourself of the internet for a few days, and find some books about things that interest you.
Pretty much everyone used to read before (1850-2000). It was healthier for them, and ultimately more enjoyable than internet/television, but people cant resist those quick dopamine releases.