Prevalence of HFASDs in STEM:

I have a two part question for you Veeky Forums, which you probably have been asked before:

1) Is it true that the majority of, or a large number of, people within STEM have some from of high-functioning autistic spectrum disorder?

2) If so, in which fields of STEM is it most common and in which fields of STEM is it least common?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yTU8WbTbZMI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pure math here. Don't have autism. I would say about 1/5th of my undergrad math cohort had some form of autism. In grad school that dropped to just a few.

I think physics has the most autists because it's theoretical wankery but to them it "has a point". Sperglords can't understand the beauty in math for math's sake.

>high-functioning autistic spectrum disorder?

If this were to be true then that is a misnomer and should be renamed to 'average-functioning and smart but lazy-function autism'

In a classroom of 50 people you would be lucky to find a single one who is even remotely intellectually ahead of the curve, if by the curve you consider the average potato farmer.

I find mathematics interesting on a number of levels, certainly when it comes to the possibles of cryptography.

Do you have any theory as to why people with HFASD are lazy? Perhaps, complacency in ones abilities?

>why people with HFASD are lazy?

My point was that none of them have 'high functioning autism'.

As I said, in a classroom of 50 you would be lucky to find even one who was remotely talented.

I understand that, however, I was addressing the former part of your comment: "If this were to be true then that is a misnomer and should be renamed to 'average-functioning and smart but lazy-function autism'." It goes without a doubt that there are people with HFASDs who are extremely talented, due to their atypical neurology. If so, why do they not end up in higher education (or within STEM in general)?

>"If this were to be true then that is a misnomer and should be renamed to 'average-functioning and smart but lazy-function autism'."

I was not commenting on autists, but on the general STEM population.

My point was that IF stem people were autistic then such autism should not be classified as high functioning.

> If so, why do they not end up in higher education (or within STEM in general)?

Some of them certainly do, the others are good at music and other shit.

Thank you for the clarification.

If you agree with the statement: "It goes without a doubt that there are people with HFASDs who are extremely talented, due to their atypical neurology." As seen here: "Some of them certainly do, the others are good at music and other shit." Then: "why do they not end up in higher education (or within STEM in general)?"

You do know that autism is an actual medical diagnosis and not just a byword for 'socially awkward and good with numbers' right, faggot OP?

This is what actual diagnosed autism looks like: youtube.com/watch?v=yTU8WbTbZMI

Most of the so-called "autistic" people in STEM are just socially awkward, shy, or plain ol' anti-social assholes. I fall into the latter category because I'm an edgy misanthropic faggot who just dislikes interacting with people.

Clearly you didn't read either the title: "Prevalence of HFASDs in STEM" or the actual question fully: "high-functioning autistic spectrum disorder". Note, I did not once mention all ASDs in my question, simply the one who are 'high-functioning'.

Perhaps, learn how to actually extrapolate information from text, before proceeding to embarrass yourself by displaying your inability to understand semantics.

Thank you for the laugh though, user.

If you're quite done being a perpetually offended millennial. Why don't you enlighten me about this:Most of the so-called "autistic" people in STEM are just socially awkward, shy, or plain ol' anti-social assholes"?

again, autism (yes, even high functioning autism) is diagnosable at a very young age. it's a very specific neural disorder. 'high-functioning' autism is rare and even rarer still is a level of functioning/coping skills that would allow one to compete in a high-level STEM program.

any anecdotal replies you rely on here as evidence are as good as "well he didn't make eye contact with me this one time so he must be autistic"

>It goes without a doubt that there are people with HFASDs who are extremely talented
just because there are exceptional HFASDs doesn't mean that every HFASDs is exceptional. The vast majority of HFASDs can _barely_ function on the same level as an neurotypical adult, which in no way implies that they will be successful in a STEM program.

I think it is YOU who does not understand semantics and uses words incorrectly. Eat a bowl of dicks, retard.

If anyone is the archetypal faggot millennial, it's you.

I mean, millennials love to self-diagnose and misdiagnose mental illnesses right? Sounds just like you.

What? You're acting offended in regard to an entirely neutral question, simply wishing peoples experiences and any evidence of the common claim of people with HFASDs in STEM. You're are acting like the 'textbook' definiton of a "perpetually offended millennial" or a social justice thought police. Why don't you grow up and try to contribute to the discussion?

When have I once done that? Post a quote, or a link to the post. - Also, nice double post.

nobody is getting offended retard, i'm telling you you're stupid for taking the Veeky Forums 'le autism' meme seriously

nice double post faggot

> nobody is getting offended retard
> retard
> Eat a bowl of dicks, retard.

> nice double post
> maybe he double posted because he didn't see that message before posting, probably because has auto turned off
> oh yeah, i didn't think of that

if you're going to call people out for double posting you shouldn't double post yourself. glass houses, stones, etc

inb4 kys
but you should kys ( & )

you stupid fucking faggot

kek
says the guy who has the hypocrisy
fucking drink bleach
do your parents a favour
they'd like their basement free

>stupid fucking faggot
see the pic on ()
very original

epic, simply epic xD

anyways go read up on the medical literature regarding autism so you don't make such bad threads in the future ok later dipshit peace

> go read up on the medical literature
> assumption being i haven't
> never stated anything
> clearly misconstruing facts
> doesn't like being challenged
> probably has a personality disorder
> like being an autist

>assumption being i haven't
it's pretty clear you haven't

> ok later dipshit peace
> few minutes later
>
> such interest life
> edgy autist (I'm an edgy misanthropic faggot who just dislikes interacting with people)
> so cool
> much edge
> masta raece
fuck off chris-chan

still replying huh?

is this how you cope?

> still replying too
> riddle with hypocrisy
> hypocrisy certainly not herpes
nah like other spastics (like yourself) i enjoy stroking soft things, rocking backward and forward and smacking my head with either my fists or the wall :D

good 4 u

> ran out of smart things to say
> keeps posting anyway
> ?????
> might finally move out of basement

>still putting in all this effort after I cucked his thread
lel

> is like crusader
> keeps fighting the muslim
> muslim invalids spain
> keeps fighting the muslim
> muslim invaids italy