Why aren't you in engineering? It's like you don't want to make a difference in the world

Why aren't you in engineering? It's like you don't want to make a difference in the world

I-i'm a s-software engineer. Does that count?

Because literally anybody else can become an engineer. Not everyone can become a contributing scientist though. Makes me feel more special. Plus, pure science is just more interesting.

I don't enjoy it.

Grapes don't taste that good anyways

"literally anybody else can become an engineer"
90 IQ
> Tiny skull
> 'top of class'

> qualifies scientist with "contributing" and not engineer
trash.jpg
I know plenty of retarded physics majors

What if you do research in engineering?

Working engineers are always contributing, but their contribution is not of as much value as that of a scientist, since the scientist's work is more irreplaceable than the engineer's, hence why I highlighted the contribution part of science rather than that of the engineer.

Also

>physics major
>scientist
OhBoy.jpg

That's called epidemiology, or more specifically, research on AIDS.

>Why don't you suck, and think about penis constantly? It's like you don't want to make a difference for some fag.

why did OP write this though?

this must be bait

I don't want to make a difference in the world. Even so, becoming an engineer doesn't mean you will either. It takes some very special people under very special circumstances to make a difference in the world.

I tried out Engineering in the first year and a half of my undergrad. Everything about it made me depressed. I didn't realize how sad it made me until I did a year of Math. I don't even care if I end up using the Math I learn once I'm eventually done with school, I'm just glad I'm doing Math and that I'm not dreading the day I become an Engineer in the real world.

I'm not going to have an impact on the world nor do I want to become rich. There is no major that will cause me to do so. I just want to enjoy myself and live my humble little life.

>It's like you don't want to make a difference in the world
i did. then i got a job. now i hate my work

99% of engineering is boring shit jobs

this. dont kid yourself into thinking you are going to be revolutionizing the world as we know it every day.

> 99% of all jobs including science are boring shit jobs
sorry to rain on your parade.
at least you can find crazy startups with an engineering degree.

But most people cannot become contributing scientists. If you have normie level intelligence and you're autistic as fuck (like, I'm assuming, most of us) and you want to contribute, then engineering may be a good choice.

Although I suppose there are a lot of other ways to make a difference in the world.

>physics major
>scientist
that was my bad. I thought this was a different thread.
> since the scientist's work is more irreplaceable than the engineer's
how'd you come up with this?

I hate math

I'm in engineering but I hate math, halp pl0x

there's not really anything you can do. I guess you can learn to love it somehow or just force yourself to deal with it

It's too bad that you have to be a genius to make meaningful contributions to math or physics, and no amount of hard work will change that. Better to just stick to engineering and other sciences.

> "And, in mathematics, there is not much you can do to attain greatness. Those men and women who attain it manage to do so through their uncanny 'feeling' for the subject. There is nothing you can do to learn this 'feeling.' You can, to be sure, work hard enough at mathematics to make yourself into a competent mathematician, perhaps even a competent research mathematician. But you cannot learn to do mathematics the way the great mathematicians do, any more than you can learn to throw a fastball or to run 100 yards in ten seconds. You can or you cannot. If you can, you will know it early. If you are an adult and you are not already a great mathematician, then you are not going to be." - Jerry King, The Art of Mathematics

I'm not foolish enough to deny this. No, you can't just be smart, or very smart.

You must be a genius.

Absolutely must. You're either born with it, or not, and I see all too many mathfags and physicsfags delude themselves that because they study for their math classes and get As, they're good at math. My topology prof once said this to me in private

>If you study more than a day in advance for an exam or final, or if you study more than 3 hours total for a math exam/final, and you don't get As, you will never be a good mathematician.

This is at Berkeley, by the way

That's why I joined social sciences :^)

Messed up the second part of the quote

>if you have to study more than 3 hours for a math midterm or final to get an A, you will never be a good mathematician.

Fixed, sorry.

I switched from math to CS, by the way, since even with a 3.96 gpa, I realized how hopeless it was.

Nope just heterosexual

Understand concepts and get really good with computers, use them for math.

I couldn't get in because the retards in this country fail to consider that private schools can have much more rigorous course work than public schools.

Studying physics at the moment and I'm literally top of the class by a 10% margin. But will they let me transfer? Fuck no. I'll try again next semester before I kill myself.

literally any action we take causes a universal state change

See now if you had only studied engineering you would've understood the significance of process gain parameters, for which yours is neglibile.

>inb4 chaos memes

No.

99% of scientists are stamp collectors or analysts that do grunt work as lab monkeys or at best act as support for engineers.

Meanwhile at least ~50% of engineers will make significant contributions in their career either making significant progress to technology as researchers or by comission and design of infrastructure/reactors/products/etc. that has a major impact on society. The rest being CAD/control room monkeys.

Mathematical researchers are mostly cool, we don't even need to mention they are superior to both.

Are you going to be in the 1% of scientists making actual contributions? Maybe, but you have a much higher chance and power of contributing as an engineer.

(By the above I mean people actually working profession, not retards who graduated with a math bachelors just to end up teaching high-school or sucking the finance jew cock etc.)

Why do you want to be a "good" mathematician, your prof is right of course, but you could still make some contributions as a mediocre one.

Why do you want to make a difference in the world?

engineering is useful, but is stupid
i mean, everyone can be an engineer, also the dumbest of my small city
Exams are at most mnemonical, you dont need to use your reason that much

that's why i switched to physics: i want to understand the nature, leaving the monkey-work to engineers

You know what people who memorize a subject are?

TRASH!

You need to comprehend and understand a subject, and you need to be creative, too. That is something you worms are incapable of.

I need money.
EE is my fate.
My IQ is not that great.
But I could compete with Sony.

I'm a poorfag
My early education was outstanding
Nevertheless its developing
Left me with an "L" tag.

My future is brilliant
In my dreams of course
They call me a valiant

Universe my will endorsed
Of becoming an acolyte of science
Then to wake up, I was forced.

I don't want to make a difference in the world. I want to make the world a better place for my people.

I went to engineering instead of the major I wanted ,didn't really get me a job like dad, counselor and professors said it would, now I assemble parts at a factory for shit pay trying to pay off stupid student depts and completely regret ever going to university. If I could do it over again I would have just gone to a trade school out of highschool.

i know
that's why engineers are trash
that's why i switched to physics, where you have to fckn use your brain

I want to but the world is holding me back.

honestly the world can do without me,I'll make my own wolrd in some form instead.

I'm with you on that bro but the world wants my money in exchange for survival and my own habitat, and I don't have any. Tips?

>I want to make the world a better place for my people.
Let me guess, you're non-white? White people usually want to "make the world a better place for humanity", not some stupid identifier subset of it.

Different guy here and I'm white, but when we say "humanity" we mean white people and you know it.

We only started meaning white people after it turned out that all other groups are intolerant racists bent on our destruction.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Why is it stupid?
>non-white people tend
Ok

sciencie + engineering = engineering physics

Problem solved

>Mathematical researchers
I hear doing scribbles on a blackboard can be quite challenging

EP is a science it has zero real engineering
science + engineering = engineering

>Knows so little about engineering he thinks it's just about developing physical objects.

Even platonist wankers ought to know better.

Don't kid yourself.
It's scribbles on notebooks

nah man, printer paper on a clipboard until it's good enough to tex

Do you throw out old rough proofs?
I've got notebooks filled with things I'll never read again.

say that one fuckin more time

engineering physics is the DEVIL
the SHIT becoming real

Yep, once it's tex'd I recycle the paper. The problem is when you're working on something for a long time and you have stacks of scratch work lying around.

I usually take the time to redraft whatever I'm working on as I go so I can make these stacks as small as possible. I think redrafting is a good practice anyways. I catch lots of small errors and end up with more concise proofs.

DELETE THIS

Jordan Ellennberg a mathematician who wrote a pop-math book, said the one thing he wishes he could get rid of in math is the cult of the genius. That math is some innate skill. That is true for Euler and the other math greats, but to be a run-of-the-mill mathematician who lays the path for future breakthroughs, you don't need to be an Euler. If you like proof-based math courses I would encourage you to become a mathematician, a mathematician is not some holy sanctimony of an occupation where only those born with "it" are allowed to practice it.
this

What is the meaning of making a difference in the world?
Does contributing to the development of the iphone 8miniSCPlus, mean you are making a difference?
Or proving or disproving P=NP?
What about making works that have only entertainment value?
OP's question is very subjective.

doing a major solely because it is challenging is a good way to fuck up your life. by the time you get to college you should be comfortable enough with your self esteem that you don't need to major in something difficult to prove something to yourself.
>now I assemble parts at a factory for shit pay trying to pay off stupid student debts
that's because you majored in something you had no interest in.

BAH! All you guys are so proto-science.

-I- write MY work on glass WINDOWS! That makes it the best!

Because it was boring and both the students and profs had their heads up their asses. My undergrad math environment was pretty nurturing, for lack of a better term

No need to be so hard on them; some people enjoy a challenge for the sake of a challenge, not to "prove themselves." Shit gets boring when it's not stimulating.